Easy customizable flags

I'd love some sort of simple in-game editor, but it's not really that hard to make them and insert them externally. What I find hardest is scaling them properly, so what I vote for is some way to have flag resolutions universally supported instead of using the incredibly obscure and low resolution they require internally in KSP1.

10 hours ago, Lo.M said:

Something like a Paint to create your flags?

I think, something a lot simpler, where you can just add some color patterns and decals and adjust colors/scale/position is more than enough. And I don't think it should replace the current system, but rather add to it. Just have the editor write an image to the flags directory. It's really easy to set up and would make it a lot easier to bash together a quick mission flag, while still leaving option for people to make highly artistic custom versions in external editors.

4 hours ago, starcaptain said:

Nepal wants to into space. 

Idk about Nepal, just on my previous job I made a transparent flag out of the plastic package and the flyer holder.

But after your words the idea looks even more viable.

Also, if print some emblem on a transparent flag, you can see it projected on the landscape.

5 hours ago, starcaptain said:

Nepal wants to into space. 

Yeah, full opacity might be a bit complicated, depending on how they set up the shaders for decals, but alpha-cutout is always an option. And with some temporal AA, the edges should look smooth regardless.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:42 AM, Caleb Kerman said:

I would be amazing if in KSP2  there was a way to customize flags in game and not in the files. It would be even better if it was easy to make your own flag.

I find it not too hard to make flags. Just know where to drop them in. If you need a place where to make flags in an easy way I recommend Google Drawings

Yes, a flag maker 'app' would be a nice feature, and presumably a fairly simple thing to incude.  It wouldn't 'need' to be accessible during play, but a link to it from the mission flag selector would make sense.

Maybe an extension to this idea is 'vessel nameplates'.  A craft, or part, specific 'nameplate' that can accept text input, working the in same way as ordinary mission flags do, but a bit longer and thinner proportions.

19 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:
On 1/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, Caleb Kerman said:

I would be amazing if in KSP2  there was a way to customize flags in game and not in the files. It would be even better if it was easy to make your own flag.

I find it not too hard to make flags. Just know where to drop them in. If you need a place where to make flags in an easy way I recommend Google Drawings

I'm not sure who asked, but that's not what this thread is about. We know we can do it externally, but it'd be better to have ingame tools to help with the process.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm not sure who asked, but that's not what this thread is about. We know we can do it externally, but it'd be better to have ingame tools to help with the process.

I was saying it's not that hard if you know what you are doing It can take really only 10 minutes to make a flag and drop it into the game.

I don't think an ingame software would be the right answer, that's because why spend your time making a vector software in the game when many companies already have done that for you for free? I don't think it's a good use of their time. Especially if you have software like Google Drawings or GIMP or Paint.net. Why do you need to make a painting software ingame when you already have three amazing free softwares.

4 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:
3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I was saying it's not that hard if you know what you are doing It can take really only 10 minutes to make a flag and drop it into the game.

I don't think an ingame software would be the right answer, that's because why spend your time making a vector software in the game when many companies already have done that for you for free? I don't think it's a good use of their time. Especially if you have software like Google Drawings or GIMP or Paint.net. Why do you need to make a painting software ingame when you already have three amazing free softwares.

10 minutes is a lot of time to spend on a flag.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

If your making a good flag then yes

that's how much time you usually do

25 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:
28 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

If your making a good flag then yes

that's how much time you usually do

It doesn't even have to be a built in paint program, just give me something so I don't have to faff around in the files like a moron.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

It doesn't even have to be a built in paint program, just give me something so I don't have to faff around in the files like a moron.

I mean... once you know where to go you will always remember and it's super easy.

Just remember:

Program files(x86) -> Steam -> Steamapps -> Common -> Kerbal Space Program -> Gamedata -> Flags

Once you do it a couple of times it will be locked into your head

I find it to be a good thing too. Because you will learn how the game works and be able to install mods someday, it helps a lot to enhance your ksp experience.

Why not just an option in the menu to upload your own flags? It opens your file explorer, you select the .png of your flag, and boom, it's in the game and you can select it any time you want. Simple and easy to use without restricting people to in in-game flag editor that absolutely wouldn't stack up to GIMP or Photoshop or MSPaint. This'll make it a ton easier for more tech illiterate people to upload their own pictures into the game, and I doubt it would take very long to implement. I sometimes still have trouble installing mods and I've been playing the game for nearly 5 years now. being able to skip all of the unnecessary file navigation would be a blessing.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

On 28/01/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

Why not just an option in the menu to upload your own flags? It opens your file explorer, you select the .png of your flag, and boom, it's in the game and you can select it any time you want. Simple and easy to use without restricting people to in in-game flag editor that absolutely wouldn't stack up to GIMP or Photoshop or MSPaint. This'll make it a ton easier for more tech illiterate people to upload their own pictures into the game, and I doubt it would take very long to implement. I sometimes still have trouble installing mods and I've been playing the game for nearly 5 years now. being able to skip all of the unnecessary file navigation would be a blessing.

Yes, this ^^^ is a good idea.

With a brief 'How to...' in the tutorials that gives the required dimensions, file format and procedure etc.

It doesn't matter how 'easy' something may actually be if you don't know how to do it.