New Career game, can't attach fuel to a capsule - game freezes

I've played KSP for years, currently on version 1.11.0.3045 w/no mods. I wanted to start a new, Career, game. Started okay, but after my first mission, when I obtained fuel and engines, I tried adding an FL-T100 Fuel to a MK1 Command capsule. The fuel tank disappeared and the game froze, I couldn't even exit until I clicked 'New', then exit.

I resumed and with more missions using the RT-5 Flea, I acquired additional fuel options. I tried the FL-T200, but same problem. Oddly, I can start with a fuel tank and add a capsule, then re-root to the capsule, but adding a 2nd fuel tank (it disappears) causes the game to freeze.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

With some additional research, I've determined the problem is with the FL-100 and FL-T200 fuel tanks. They cannot be added to any capsule without the gameplay being corrupted, and only a 'New' clears the VAB to allow exit.

I'll go looking for the 'bugtracker' and add my comments.

Thanks, David

Edit: Logged into Squad Bugtracker and submitted the report.

Edited by drburns650
update on status

The same thing happens to me. Even when I drag out a FL-T100 and don't attach it to a capsule, then try to attach a Swivel engine to it, it won't attach.

Note that an FL-T100 attaches to a capsule just fine in sandbox mode - it's only in career mode where this is a problem.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to necropost, but I had the same issue starting a science mode game and found a solution. After deleting the /Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Squad directory and verifying my game files in Steam, the issue went away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:39 PM, That Don Guy said:

The same thing happens to me. Even when I drag out a FL-T100 and don't attach it to a capsule, then try to attach a Swivel engine to it, it won't attach.

Note that an FL-T100 attaches to a capsule just fine in sandbox mode - it's only in career mode where this is a problem.

I started a new Career game with the latest version, and got up to a FL-T200 engine...which has the same bug; when I attach it to a capsule, it disappears, and I can't attach anything underneath it. I also can't exit the VAB screen without exiting the entire game.

UPDATE: I did a full uninstall of KSP and loaded the latest version in full (which I had done before, but always over the previous version), and it works now. There might have been a mod that somehow managed to get passed from one previous install to another that was causing the problem.

Edited by That Don Guy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.