Lets chat about new parts, new planets, and new fechures, and multilplyer!

Sky Kerman

On 1/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, Blaf said:

LAN master race!

I have plans for multiple races to celestial bodies with some friends on a lan. But the game has been delayed for so long that i fear that we won't be in touch anymore at this point.

16 hours ago, wpetula said:

I'm more concerned about the planets and moons than I am about parts and part limits. KSP 1 has celestial bodies that look cool from space but are extremely boring on the surface. With KSP 2, I hope the landscapes are much more complex and interesting (thinking along the lines of No Man's Sky). 

From some screenshots, it actually looks like they are experimenting with Horizon Zero Dawn approach to procedural vegetation. It doesn't actually make the terrain more interesting, but it makes it more interesting looking, which is a start. Of course, for planets without any kind of vegetation, all it helps you with is placement of rocks and craters, but that's better than nothing.

The problem with NMS approach is that you can make 90% of your terrain look pretty cool, but the remaining 10% will be hot garbage. And the more varied you try to make majority of your generated terrain to be, the more outlandish the outliers. There are some more modern approaches to procedural terrain generation that use neural nets, but it's very green tech. I don't know if I'd recommend it for production. Then again, if there's a game out there that it'd be a fit for it's KSP. You also have advantage that you don't need true procedural planets in the sense that they'll be generated for the first time before a player sees them. You can do a fly-over and make sure nothing particularly egregious got generated, and even fix some of the problems by hand. And that should address most of the larger features, but you can still end up with a few locations that will look like the game glitched out, so it's a risk.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

I kind of want to foot the bill for an unlimited internet plan and start running a 24/7 persistent anarchy server. Imagine how much fun it would be to have absolutely no limits but the your creativity and the foulness of the other players!

The oldest anarchy server in KSP . . .

In all seriousness this would be so cool.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:54 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Disable fairing staging

Yeah, but eventually they have to end in a point or go back to 3.5 meter pieces. They are a really cool part for nose cones and such, though.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:22 AM, Mikenike said:

as a joke.

>:(

2 hours ago, nekokamiguru said:

One feature I hope they have is an autopilot similar to mechjeb as part of the base game.

I would almost prefer something like KOS that you can get scripts for from Workshop and have that handle tasks you'd normally do with MechJeb.