should realisim overhaul be a stock part of ksp 2

nomerac

2 hours ago, nomerac said:

should realisim overhaul be a stock part of ksp 2

Here we go again

7 minutes ago, pandaman said:

No, not in 'stock' IMO.

As an official, optional, DLC though, then yes I would certainly consider buying it.

Paraquoted: "Not in stock, but as long as I need to pay, it'd be fine"

If it's possible, it shouldn't just be another paid DLC developed to milk wallets. I'd prefer KSP 2 to not relegate features to glorified paid updates DLC, but that's probably not likely since Squad got corporate overlords involved with the the KSP name.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

If it's possible, it shouldn't just be another paid DLC developed to milk wallets. I'd prefer KSP 2 to not relegate features to glorified paid updates DLC, but that's probably not likely since Squad got corporate overlords involved with the the KSP name.

What kind of business model would you prefer? One way or another they’ll have to pry the money out of us to keep the franchise going.

Absolutely not. I like KSP because it's a little unrealistic. I don't really have that much fun in super realistic flight simulators and I find it much more entertaining playing an easier but still accurate sim. They should leave it to the modders- if people want deviations from the base game, they have the tools to do it themselves. And on the subject of making it a DLC? Hell no. I'm not paying $15 for something already available for free and a little screwing around in my file manager. If I want to support the creator, I'm donating to their Patreon or PayPal or something, but I think it's stupid to lock it behind a paywall in the guise of DLC.

Also, if there is a realism-based DLC, that gives them the justification to take down realism mods because "they're trying to circumvent the dlc with mods". That could lead to some odd legal issues and a whole genre of mod getting wiped.

Edited by Kernel Kraken
Take a shot every time you see the word "Mod" or "DLC" in this thread.

15 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Also, if there is a realism-based DLC, that gives them the justification to take down realism mods because "they're trying to circumvent the dlc with mods". That could lead to some odd legal issues and a whole genre of mod getting wiped.

Look at the KSP1 DLCs. Tons of the features in both of them are duplicated in countless mods, but SQUAD and Private Division don't seem to have any problem with that. I don't see that changing with KSP2, especially not if we do get the deeper modding support advertised.

I don't want the starter system to have huge planets like the real solar system does, but I would LOVE if the "hard" mode selection for the game made everywhere restricted N-body mechanics - not just around Rask and Rusk. The UI would need a MASSIVE overhaul compared to Principia's to be actually fun and intuitive in a video game setting, and it would be nice to put everything but the ships on rails to save on computation. The game could even selectively ignore the gravitational influence of celestial bodies that are far enough away or small enough to save further computation. Like, compute G*m1*r-2 for the pull of all bodies in a system on the test particle representing your ship, and then snip out all forces but the ones with the top three or four gravitational influences on your ship. It would be a good compromise between patched conics and complete restricted N-body spaceflight. God knows Principia will grind your PC to a halt.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Look at the KSP1 DLCs. Tons of the features in both of them are duplicated in countless mods, but SQUAD and Private Division don't seem to have any problem with that. I don't see that changing with KSP2, especially not if we do get the deeper modding support advertised.

Well, T2 owns Private Division and they've been notoriously anti-fun on their other franchises (i.e. GTA single player modders getting banned). I also think that the mods didn't get removed because the mods were there before official features introduced in the DLC, and any mod removals would warrant huge backlash.

1 hour ago, Mr.Evil said:

Especially life support is very important for me.

I guess they could add vending machines... but I suspect Kerbals do photosynthesis.

Edited by Bedazzled

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Here we go again

Paraquoted: "Not in stock, but as long as I need to pay, it'd be fine"

OK,  I just don't think it 'fits' as the default 'stock' system.  The smaller planets make getting to orbit etc quicker (not necessarily easier) than full size which is not a bad thing from a gameplay angle.  And, from a design angle, larger planets have much more surface area to model and make look good, and just scaling up directly  wouldn't look right.

Personally  I think I would prefer the 'stock scale' to be a bit bigger, but that's not going to happen.  I'm not against options to increase the scale, but don't think such a feature is needed as part of the 'stock' basic package.

If they release it as a free update, then great, I'll take it thank you very much.  But if they do it as a paid DLC I will consider it at the time,  as in "decide whether I want to part with my cash" when I can judge it's value to me.  The whole idea of a 'real' solar system version  just seems more suited as an 'add on' to me.

Edited by pandaman

5 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well, T2 owns Private Division and they've been notoriously anti-fun on their other franchises (i.e. GTA single player modders getting banned). I also think that the mods didn't get removed because the mods were there before official features introduced in the DLC, and any mod removals would warrant huge backlash.

T2 owns KSP 1 as well and no mods have been sued yet... why would that start now when modability is a focused feature? Also how could anyone even get sued so long as the code isn't copied and violating copyright? It's not illegal to write original code and post it

No, leave it to the mod community. 

On the topic of paid DLC, I'll happily pay for pay for more content to keep the game development going, as long as it provides sufficient value. Obviously part of keeping the game going is keeping the mod community happy so people can get the odds and ends for stuff they want, while DLC's fill more complex additions to the core game. 

As long as the stock game delivers on what is currently promised I wont complain.

Absolutely not. Even a cursory look through the KSP2 section of the forum would find many threads on this and similar topics which all reach the same conclusion,

I’m playing with RO (and RP-1) because I want to, not because I have to; when I first tried it after only a couple of months in KSP the sheer complexity of the whole thing immediately put me off.

Besides which, KSP2 is a radically different game to the original with a much greater focus on interstellar travel and colonisation. Orion drives, fusion reactors and metallic hydrogen torchships don’t really fit with “realism”, do they?

And while I bought both DLCs for KSP I would be reluctant to buy one for KSP2 considering the initial cost of KSP2- those DLCs better bring something truly exceptional rather than just some snazzy paint options or locking tech behind paywalls.

No, and it's been said many times no in different threads.

Realism Overhaul is extremely complex, making KSP look simple in comparison. I played it for several months and I could hardly reach the Moon - even after playing stock KSP for several years up until then!

For that reason, Realism Overhaul is considered very niche among this forum.

Forcing it upon EVERYONE is simply benefiting the niche at the expense of the vast majority of the community, and new players.

It definitely should remain as a mod.

I would definitely be open to them making a DLC largely separated from the stock game while still part of KSP 2 if KSP is a hit and can afford a small teams to dedicate to it alongside having the main team  continue to work on the main game and its updates/DLC.

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

T2 owns KSP 1 as well and no mods have been sued yet... why would that start now when modability is a focused feature? Also how could anyone even get sued so long as the code isn't copied and violating copyright? It's not illegal to write original code and post it

17 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I also think that the mods didn't get removed because the mods were there before official features introduced in the DLC, and any mod removals would warrant huge backlash.

44 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

@Kernel Kraken

Its still not illegal to write original code and post it... even if T2 wanted they couldnt sue 

They can sue for money lost due to people making mods to avoid the DLC. This is possible. T2 is not a super friendly company, dude. It's not about legality, it's about alleged damages due to mod parts.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

It's not about legality,it's about alleged damages due to mod parts.

Dude...

If its not illegal, you can't sue. Do you even know how to basic laws?

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

This is possible.

It's literally not.

Edited by mcwaffles2003