Save File Incompatible after update to 1.11.1

Hello,

Unfortunately I couldn't prevent Steam updating the game with the new update, and it is saying my save file is incompatible with the new version.  I've got a few mods installed - most of Nertea's stockalike stuff, intestellar fuel switch, and kerbal engineer redux. I can't really see any of these being game breaking.

Is there anything I can tweak in the save file to fool the game? Or is there something about this release that is too big to save my progress?

It would be nice if they automatically put the last version up on Steam as a beta to roll back to, but that hasn't happened....

Thanks in advance,

It's good advice to never mod your steam install.

Just copy your KSP to another directory, play and mod it as you like, keep old installs etc.

Let steam update its version of the game. Copy the new versions to your own KSP folders. Play whatever you want, at any time.

Many players keep playing old versions of the game. And most seasoned players stay away from x.x.0 releases too, always wait for a hotfix or two.

You save yourself a lot of headache this way. It's nice that KSP is not buond to Steam and we should take advantage of that for as long as we can. Who knows how KSP2 will handle this.

As for recovering your old save file, I dont see why it shouldn't work? Maybe because the mods are missing? Wait for the mods to update and try again maybe? Best advice I can give you is to proceed as I described above from now on. Maybe steam makes 1.11.0  available?

Yeah I should have just copied the whole lot to a separate folder to draw a line in the sand.  I love KSP, but I'm getting a bit bored of starting again over and over to experience the latest features. I'd rather wait for a year or something and get a large "final update".

That said, I didn't expect the hotfix to break things quite this much. Last time it updated it would let me open my save and carry on. I think I'll wait for now and update my mods to see if that will fix it, or hope for a steam beta for the last version. 

I'm hoping with KSP 2 and all the delays that it'll be just one main release with all the features that just works lol . Perhaps that's just me being old school though!

So there's nothing in the code of my save file that could be tweaked or deleted to try to fool the game? Potentially that makes things unstable, but I'll try it with a copy to see.

Many thanks,

19 hours ago, Danger2007 said:

That said, I didn't expect the hotfix to break things quite this much. Last time it updated it would let me open my save and carry on.

I have been copying saves over from 1.9.x to 1.10.x to 1.11.0 and 1.11.1 with no problems so far. Maybe it is indeed a mod incompatibility.

19 hours ago, Danger2007 said:

So there's nothing in the code of my save file that could be tweaked or deleted to try to fool the game?

You could try and update the "version" line in the .sfs to 1.11.1 and see if that changes anything. Does the message say anything more other than just "incompatible"?

On 1/31/2021 at 10:11 AM, HansAcker said:

I have been copying saves over from 1.9.x to 1.10.x to 1.11.0 and 1.11.1 with no problems so far. Maybe it is indeed a mod incompatibility.

You could try and update the "version" line in the .sfs to 1.11.1 and see if that changes anything. Does the message say anything more other than just "incompatible"?

I'm not sure what's happened lol. I tried the above step and now the game says that it, and the unchanged back up copy are both now compatible?! Perhaps they released a super minor hotfix.

Now my flags will stand up straight again, thank god! 

Many thanks for your help!:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.