Has there or will there be any further development of sound?

Bought this game way back in EA, have in excess of 2000 hours and generally very happy. However thoroughly disappointed  that sound hasn't received any update in line with all these lovely textures and mechanics . I understand those are rookie numbers for some, and also some people don't play with sound, but most people do!

Is there any particular reason why sound is neglected?  Strike me down if sound has been added to the robotic parts and turbine engines and I've missed it. 

Additionally thanks to the community for the great work over the years adding sounds and maintaining mods.

Edit: Posted a similar question nearly a year ago. Wasn't any interest then. HAs anything changed?

Edited by WhitestWizard

On 1/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, WhitestWizard said:

and also some people don't play with sound,

You answered your own question 

No seriously. I have NEVER place KSP with any kind of background sound till date. 

Only a quarter of the members of the forum may be using any sound unlesss  they are filming a yt video

Apparently that is not the case 

Spoiler

At least imo

Edited by VoidCosmos

Thank you for the response and I understand that. Lots of people who play games, mute the sound and watch Netflix, Twitch or just listen to music.  I can remember making the same jokes about Eve online way back when, sound muted for TS/ Vent. These days when I play and highly likely most  players  want to be wholly immersed in the game and sound is a big part of that. While the forum community is the heart of the game, it's probably only the tip of the iceberg  for actual player numbers. 

Fire the engines, sound. Lower my landing gear, sound. Run surface experiments, sound. Move my overly complicated robot, NO sound and that silence is deafeningly obvious. 

The game is wonderful, and I hope no one thinks me ungrateful for looking for a little bit more. 

3 minutes ago, WhitestWizard said:

Thank you for the response and I understand that. Lots of people who play games, mute the sound and watch Netflix, Twitch or just listen to music. 

The game is wonderful, and I hope no one thinks me ungrateful for looking for a little bit more. 

Yes there are a lot of people who do things in the background. 

Spoiler

Especially me

I usually listen to music or play a mobile game

Don't worry about it. We all have different opinions on things. That is what makes us a community! 

18 hours ago, WhitestWizard said:

Bought this game way back in EA, have in excess of 2000 hours and generally very happy. However thoroughly disappointed  that sound hasn't received any update in line with all these lovely textures and mechanics . I understand those are rookie numbers for some, and also some people don't play with sound, but most people do!

Is there any particular reason why sound is neglected?  Strike me down if sound has been added to the robotic parts and turbine engines and I've missed it. 

Additionally thanks to the community for the great work over the years adding sounds and maintaining mods.

Edit: Posted a similar question nearly a year ago. Wasn't any interest then. HAs anything changed?

Yeah, it is rather disappointing to me that even more than the visuals sound requires mods to bring it up to a satisfactory level. Pizzaoverhead carried the sound of KSP on their back while they were here, and now Rocket Sound Enhancement is back and better than ever. But in stock, the robotics are just straight up missing sound, wheels silently glide over the ground, and too many other actions are only signified with that staging “boom-ring” sound. I’m not sure whether I’d put a sound enhancement or clouds higher up on my wish list. 

49 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

But in stock, the robotics are just straight up missing sound, wheels silently glide over the ground, and too many other actions are only signified with that staging “boom-ring” sound. I’m not sure whether I’d put a sound enhancement or clouds higher up on my wish list. 

I'd agree with this.  The game would benefit noticeably from a sound overhaul IMO. 

I'm one of those that always plays with in game sounds on, and almost never with anything else in the background.  Given how many people appear to use chatterer etc would seem to indicate that many players do consider sound as an important aspect, whether or not they have 'other stuff' in the background too.

Given a choice between a sound update and stock clouds though, clouds gets my vote.

ReStock added some noise to the drills, and just that tiny little thing made me go : "WOW !"
When I land a rover on a body I plan to roll on for a lot of hours (now into 10+ hours on the Mun) I just turn the game music off and fire up a long music collection on youtube.
Just today I finished an 11h30min long World of Warcraft 'The ultimate journey' track.

But yeah KSP could use song for SoI of the different planets at least, preferably moons having their own too (with what we have now being applied to Kerbin).
When getting into the atmosphere (or very close to surface, to account for hopper rovers) music should change too.  So Duna would have an SoI music and a landed/flying music.
It would still get old after a while, but if it's inspiring or relaxing and long enough, I'd let it play a while.

But like @pandamansaid, if I could have stock OPM mod or clouds, that would feel more important to me as well.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:46 PM, VoidCosmos said:

No seriously. I have NEVER place KSP with any kind of background sound till date. 

Only a quarter of the members of the forum may be using any sound unlesss  they are filming a yt video

What a silly thing to say. You're in a massive minority. KSP deserves a sound update.

It funny, I've been playing since mid 2014 and I always play with sound and the stock music.

Never occured to me to play without sound.

With that in mind I'd agree with the OP that the game has had a significant overhaul over the years on the visuals and functionality side, but very little to the audio (Chatterer is still one of my essential mods). But in my experience that's the priority that studios give sound; gameplay and art come first and audio, unfortunately, is a distant second. There are exceptions of course, but generally sound doesn't get the love it should.

• 2 weeks later...

So many things still need sounds. Extension sounds for antennas, and maybe some occasional beeping while they're transmitting. Rover wheels. Landing gear. Drills. Converters. A noise for entering and exiting capsules. Suit noises while you're on EVA. Maybe some slight rustling noises when solar panels and radiators deploy. A hum from lamps and lights.  Reaction wheels should make a whirring noise since there's a wheel spinning inside. Some kind of IVA noise. And PLEASE, the robotics and propeller parts. I think Ion engines make some kind of humming noise IRL. That classic clicking noise for the Geiger counter. An inflating sound for the 10m heat shield. Ladder noises. And of course, all of this should be environment-dependent. If you're on Kerbin it sounds normal. It's muffled if you're in vacuum, since the sound can only transmit through the vessel itself. Harsher sounds when you're underwater or deep in Jool's atmosphere (any water sounds in general would be great).

A lot of people talk about the future parts or colonization being their most wanted features for KSP 2. Sound design and faster scene changes are mine. This game feels so much more "dead' than it really should because of the lack of sounds.

4 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

So many things still need sounds. Extension sounds for antennas, and maybe some occasional beeping while they're transmitting. Rover wheels. Landing gear. Drills. Converters. A noise for entering and exiting capsules. Suit noises while you're on EVA. Maybe some slight rustling noises when solar panels and radiators deploy. A hum from lamps and lights.  Reaction wheels should make a whirring noise since there's a wheel spinning inside. Some kind of IVA noise. And PLEASE, the robotics and propeller parts. I think Ion engines make some kind of humming noise IRL. That classic clicking noise for the Geiger counter. An inflating sound for the 10m heat shield. Ladder noises. And of course, all of this should be environment-dependent. If you're on Kerbin it sounds normal. It's muffled if you're in vacuum, since the sound can only transmit through the vessel itself. Harsher sounds when you're underwater or deep in Jool's atmosphere (any water sounds in general would be great).

A lot of people talk about the future parts or colonization being their most wanted features for KSP 2. Sound design and faster scene changes are mine. This game feels so much more "dead' than it really should because of the lack of sounds.

I just want to add that I agree with this, and even though I know there is no sound in a vacuum, I still would like more and varied sound.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.