What are some KSP thoughts, memories and nostalgia that make you feel old as a player?

Yellowburn10

23 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Using Solid Fuel Boosters to get to obit in KSP since 1.12 KSP (Console Edition). Yup. I wasn’t smart back then. I really took “More Boosters” quite literally. I once used 32 solid fuel boosters to get into orbit. 

14 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Can't forget... Terminal velocity ascents... had to make sure not to go to fast through the soup-o-sphere, as aero losses would easily overcome gravit drag losses...

Took another 1,000 m/s or so of dV to get into orbit

Before I knew about terminal velocity ascents I definitely took the the more boosters approach and just powered through the atmosphere instead. This is what my first Mun rocket looked like:

tONI3Sx.png

lc8ou3f.png

This was before joint reinforcement too so it wobbled like a piece of spaghetti. The canards were actually necessary to stop it from folding in half.

2 hours ago, KevinW42 said:

Before I knew about terminal velocity ascents I definitely took the the more boosters approach and just powered through the atmosphere instead. This is what my first Mun rocket looked like:

This was before joint reinforcement too so it wobbled like a piece of spaghetti. The canards were actually necessary to stop it from folding in half.

That is pretty noodly! Mine looked a lot like that when I joined circa 0.21 or so.

Was that screenshot taken before 2.5m parts?

44 minutes ago, Xavven said:

That is pretty noodly! Mine looked a lot like that when I joined circa 0.21 or so.

Was that screenshot taken before 2.5m parts?

I think 2.5m parts may have been introduced already, but they weren't available in the 0.18 demo version.

(those screenshots are actually from the 0.19 full version, but I imported the craft file from my demo save.)

8 hours ago, KevinW42 said:

before joint reinforcement too so it wobbled like a piece of spaghetti. The canards were actually necessary to stop it from folding in half.

Ah, the old days of strut spam because everything was noodly, and struts were still massless and dragless

On 2/4/2021 at 3:08 AM, KerikBalm said:

Ah, the old days of strut spam because everything was noodly, and struts were still massless and dragless

I don't miss that at all! And then there were times when adding too many struts would cause parts to explode on the launchpad, so you'd have to figure out which ones to remove to stop that problem. It was a balancing act. Ugh!

I also just remembered that weird bug where heat transfer between the mainsail and the orange tank didn't work right so if you attached them directly together the mainsail would always overheat and explode unless you throttled it down or put another part in between.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:08 AM, KerikBalm said:

Started on 0.19 and OMG this! Struts were magic right until they weren’t, at which time the kraken would arrive to eat your craft. 

On 2/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, KevinW42 said:

I also just remembered that weird bug where heat transfer between the mainsail and the orange tank didn't work right so if you attached them directly together the mainsail would always overheat and explode unless you throttled it down or put another part in between.

For awhile, every Mainsail-powered booster I built had a single cubic octagonal strut between the engine and the Rockomax 64 tank it was beneath. Good times. #not 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.