Attaching a new part to a Satellite for a contract: A glitch or my mistake?

I've had this problem where a contract has asked me to attach an antenna to a satellite in orbit of Kerbin.

Issue is, when I go to the only possible satellite around Kerbin and attach the required antenna, it doesn't consider the contract to be complete. I'm not certain if I have the wrong satellite, or if it's bugged out.

This is after version 1.11.1 released, so no, it's not marked as debris. I even checked for things named "Satellite" which were marked as debris, but, alas, no result.

On 1/31/2021 at 3:02 PM, intelliCom said:

I've had this problem where a contract has asked me to attach an antenna to a satellite in orbit of Kerbin.

Issue is, when I go to the only possible satellite around Kerbin and attach the required antenna, it doesn't consider the contract to be complete. I'm not certain if I have the wrong satellite, or if it's bugged out.

This is after version 1.11.1 released, so no, it's not marked as debris. I even checked for things named "Satellite" which were marked as debris, but, alas, no result.

wrong satellite i guess, or if not a bug, i haven't even updated to 1.11.1 yet

I'm having the exact same problem, except I've just spent several hours getting to the satellite in orbit of Eve...

It's literally the only satellite there, apart from my 2 relays. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just glitched, but I kinda want the 1,700,000 reward...

I've had a similar problem on my last two "attach a part" contracts. After giving up and cancelling the first contract, on the second time I decided to go digging and see what I could find.

Here is the satellite in question, with the 1x6 panel already attached but the mission not complete, and the mission itself (note, the mission does not display the name of the target spacecraft).

Tzdv43O.png

G7sQrbj.png

I went digging into the persistent.sfs and found the contract:

CONTRACT
			{
				guid = a55a3d20-d824-431d-8ff1-14a3f6c335cb
				type = OrbitalConstructionContract
				prestige = 0
				seed = 1430119283
				state = Active
				viewed = Read
				agent = Dinkelstein Kerman's Construction Emporium
				agentName = Dinkelstein Kerman's Construction Emporium
				deadlineType = Floating
				expiryType = Floating
				values = 129600,18403200,32959.9990844727,108149.992084503,34607.9974670411,0,1.804179,0.9756098,18490730.4161536,18405943.3255453,36809143.3255453,0
				bodyName = Kerbin
				constructionCraftDef = E:/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData/Squad/Contracts/PreBuiltCraft/OrbitalConstructionContract/Unfinished Contract Sat 8.craft
				constructionVslId = 2055096434
				constructionPartName = solarPanels4
				orbitEccentricity = 0.05000000074505806
				orbitAltitudeFactor = 0.33000001311302185
				orbitInclinationFactor = 0.25
				vesselName = Aging Kerbin CMM Satellite 3-L5
				PARAM
				{
					name = CrewTraitParameter
					state = Complete
					disableOnStateChange = False
					values = 0,0,0,0,0
					targetTrait = Engineer
					targetCount = 1
					vesselDescription = Active Vessel
				}
				PARAM
				{
					name = ConstructionParameter
					state = Incomplete
					values = 0,0,0,0,0
					bodyName = Kerbin
					partName = solarPanels4
					vesselPersistentId = 2055096434
				}
			}

Note the vessel name, "Aging Kerbin CMM Satellite 3-L5",  which matches the satellite I have attached the panel to, and also the second contract parameter, which gives a vessel persistent ID of 2055096434.

This persistent ID does not exist for any vessel within my save file.

I also found the vessel "Aging Kerbin CMM Satellite 3-L5" within the save file (only the first 3 lines are relevent):

VESSEL
		{
			pid = b224b097693c4903a4ed22dc5f95e4a7
			persistentId = 197701767
			name = Aging Kerbin CMM Satellite 3-L5

Note the persistent ID is different to the contract.

I decided to have a play with the file and changed the persistent ID in the contract to match the actual vessel ID. Following this, the mission now shows the vessel name in the contract parameters, and the mission can now be completed.

BoiyZxq.png

uiF63E6.png

Seems there may be some sort of bug at play, but since mine is a modded install, it could also be interference from a mod I guess? Is your install modded? I'll make a separate post in the tech support forum with what I have found.

I had a similar problem to finish construction with any missing modules on  a rover on Mun. There no info about which missing modules to install but the mission was to drive the rover on a specific location. I did and I attached an antenna and a solar panel. Nothing happened.
I finnished contract with cheat. 
Obviously the 1.11 update introduced some new missions but some are bugged.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:57 AM, BenG said:

to have a play with the file and changed the persistent ID in the contract to match the actual vessel ID. Following this, the mission now shows the vessel name in the contract parameters, and the mission can now be completed

Did the same and it worked

I've stopped doing those missions because they just seem bugged or incomplete. When asked to attach something to a satellite I always find that there's no satellite there to fix other than the relays I've put up there. The contract never specifies to what satellite I have to go to in the contract parameters.

The satellite that needs fixing is classified as "debris" so you need to toggle show the debris on the map screen in order to find it. It should have the correct name "Aging xxx satellite yyy..."

However I'm not sure if I tried this, though I think I did. I  might try it next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since updating to 1.11 I have been having constant persistent ID problems.  I wish I found this threat sooner, as I thought I was just some how not doing the mission correctly.  It's a shame since usually when new content is added people tend to flock to the new missions because they are "new".  According to google a lot of other users are banging their heads on their keyboards trying to figure out why these missions are not completing for them.  I'm happy to see that it's truly a bug, but mad that I wasted so much time refusing to ALT+F12 so I can move on. Well the damn battery is on the stupid bugged sat, so F12 it is...  thanks BenG for solving this mystery!  I'm going to try a clean reinstall to see if that solves the ID issues. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.