The 3333 Delta V Challenge (Do not go here for rules and submissions)

CLARIFICATION AND BETTER AND MORE UNDERSTANDABLE  RULES WILL COME SOON! PLEASE WAIT UNTIL THEN. SORRY FOR THE MIS UNDERSTANDING.

How far can you get with just 3,333 meters of Delta V? Can you just only get to orbit? Maybe to the Mun? Or can you go further? In this challenge your goal is to get at least to space with suing 3,333 meter of Delta V or less. I have seen many challenges but I would like this challenge to focus on gravity assists and preside burns. And also most importantly, to impress the Kerbal community with your design.  I have never seen anyone go further than orbit with just 3,333 meters of Delta V. I know this may sound impossible. But nothing is impossible in Kerbal Space Program. Nothing! Below I will state the rules and the rubrics for each of the five rankings.

RULES:

• NO CHEATS (NO CHEAT MENU)
  • NO MODS THAT EFFECT THE SHIP (THIS INCLUDES HYPER-EDIT, HOWEVER SHADERS AREE ALLOWED)
  • NO KRAKEN DRIVES OR USE OF GLITCHES

These are the rules to the challenge above. Now. I will list the five categories that your design can be placed in depending on circumstances and other actions during your flight.

Delta V Calculation

Since we in the VAB it calculates the Delta V base do off of Kerbin Sea Level this is how we will calculates Delta V. If your ship has 3,333 Delta V (or less) meters per second on Kerbin’s Sea level your ship is still counted as qualified.

• Amazing! This rank is that you can at least get into orbit and return safely.
  • The Kerbaly! This rank is that your craft is able to get to Minmus or The Mun and do a fly-by or landing. And of course return safely.
  • In The Name of the Kraken: This rank is that you can get a Duna or Eve flabby or landing and return safely (this includes Ike and Gilly).
  • The Von Kerman Award: You can get to Moho or Dreams and perform a fly by or a landing and return safely.
  • Impress Me: To got to Jool and beyond or Impress Me...

LIST OF CRAFTS AND NAMES OF PARTICIPANTS (AND RANK).

Please go here for more rules and submissions. And clarification.

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Clarification on Delta V

@Dr. Kerbal 3333m/s of dV is just about enough to get into LKO from Kerbin's surface with a standard ascent profile. From there, you won't have enough to even get a Mun encounter, which basically rules out any gravity assists to get further. It might be possible to fly a Kerbin ascent using a bit less dV, but I still doubt that what remains will be enough to get you anywhere.

Of course, if you're already in orbit then 3333m/s is enough to at least get you an encounter with any planet.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Dr. Kerbal 3333m/s of dV is just about enough to get into LKO from Kerbin's surface with a standard ascent profile. From there, you won't have enough to even get a Mun encounter, which basically rules out any gravity assists to get further. It might be possible to fly a Kerbin ascent using a bit less dV, but I still doubt that what remains will be enough to get you anywhere.

Of course, if you're already in orbit then 3333m/s is enough to at least get you an encounter with any planet.

I have edited the topic and made a clarification with the Delta V.

I will make more clarifications later on to make this challenge do able.

Now, if you’re defining the delta-V as what the editor shows for vacuum delta-V, I can think of a few ways to game the system using jets and the staging order (e.g. put them after a NERV but turn them on without staging them), but if you’re talking about delta-V as shown on the launchpad/runway then just use an ion thruster and watch that number skyrocket as you reach space. Breaking Ground propellers would be another way to get ‘free’ delta-V since electricity doesn’t add delta-V.

7 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Now, if you’re defining the delta-V as what the editor shows for vacuum delta-V, I can think of a few ways to game the system using jets and the staging order (e.g. put them after a NERV but turn them on without staging them), but if you’re talking about delta-V as shown on the launchpad/runway then just use an ion thruster and watch that number skyrocket as you reach space. Breaking Ground propellers would be another way to get ‘free’ delta-V since electricity doesn’t add delta-V.

Thanks for this too. I didn’t relaize this. Well propellers are a good way to get trust I mean I would like them to be used by I might have to put a limit on them. Thanks for this though. 

What the people above said : the challenge is a tad ill defined.

Either it's 3333 on the pad, and then it's a matter of putting an ion engine to get anywhere, or it's 3333 in vaccuum, which means that jets and roton style contraption become the way to go.

I will add that in theory if one can get to Eve, on can get anywhere with slingshots and enough time.

I can imagine a couple ways of cheating the delta-v readout:

• stow your engines and install them while you're in orbit
  • choose a weird root part
  • empty all the tanks connected to engines, haul the fuel in some other tank, perform a resource transfer and then stage it off
  • hide your fuel behind a decoupler and enable crossfeed only on launchpad 
  • use engines with an awful sea level ISP
  • use RCS thrusters
  • use EVA pack

If any of these are allowed, I'm not sure what's the point of the challenge. Even Dres can be done with just an EVA pack and a ton of patience.

If they're all forbidden (along with the already suggested propellers), then I'm not sure what's the point of the challenge either.

Have you read the "Challenge Submission Guide"? Not trying to be a dick, but this is not the first challenge of yours that's  rather confusing.

2 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I now have read it and i will make a new challenge thread regarding the submissions guide. Please pardon me.

3 hours ago, Majk said:

I can imagine a couple ways of cheating the delta-v readout:

• stow your engines and install them while you're in orbit
  • choose a weird root part
  • empty all the tanks connected to engines, haul the fuel in some other tank, perform a resource transfer and then stage it off
  • hide your fuel behind a decoupler and enable crossfeed only on launchpad 
  • use engines with an awful sea level ISP
  • use RCS thrusters
  • use EVA pack

If any of these are allowed, I'm not sure what's the point of the challenge. Even Dres can be done with just an EVA pack and a ton of patience.

If they're all forbidden (along with the already suggested propellers), then I'm not sure what's the point of the challenge either.

Have you read the "Challenge Submission Guide"? Not trying to be a dick, but this is not the first challenge of yours that's  rather confusing.

4 hours ago, Muetdhiver said:

Either it's 3333 on the pad, and then it's a matter of putting an ion engine to get anywhere, or it's 3333 in vaccuum, which means that jets and roton style contraption become the way to go.

I will add that in theory if one can get to Eve, on can get anywhere with slingshots and enough time.

4 hours ago, Muetdhiver said:

11 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

12 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Got it!

THE 3,333 Meters of Delta V Challenge

Welcome to the 3,333 meters of Delta V challenge. Im Dr. Kerbal and this is my third challenge I have submitted to the KSP community. In this challenge you are directed to build a craft in the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) or the Space Plane Hanger (SPH) with 3,333 meters of delta v or less. How far can you go? To the Mun? Duna? Eve? There are no weight limits on the craft or any size constraints. However you may not use any modded parts. Please use stock Kerbal Space Program parts (any parts from DLCs such as Making History and Breaking Ground are allowed). In the following paragraphs I will state and clarify more rules to make this challenge easier to participate in.

You may ask, how do we calculate the Delta V. The delta v for each craft varies depending on each plant and space above a certain celestial body. Well, if you are reading this paragraph thank you. I will now list all the requirements and calculation of delta v. As I stated in the first paragraph your craft has to have 3,333 meters of delta v or less. However it needs to have 3,333 meters of delta v or less on Kerbin sea level. So on the launch pad or runway the Delta V readout must be 3,333 meters of delta V or less. Even if your craft has 4,567 meter of delta v in orbit above Kerbin but has 3,333 meters of delta v or less on the ground (Kerbin Sea Level) you are not breaking the rules. To sum it all up as long as your craft has 3,333 meters of delta v or less on sea level your craft is not breaking the rules.

Propellers are very useful for flying in Kerbal Space Program. Please use stock propellers on your craft though. You may use a propeller whether electric or powered by fuel. However I would like to put some restraints on the electrical propellers. Since electric propellers can rechange using electricity this breaks the 3,333 meters of delta v challenge and purpose. I will allow propellers in the challenge however they can only be used 1,200 meters over sea level. This means you can use propellers under the altitude of 1,200 meters of delta v above sea level on any planet or moon. Once crossing the 1,200 meter line you have to drop and terminate your propellers. Weather decoupling them or destroying them. 

Since some people may ask about Ion engines and that they have unlimited fuel they don't. They need electricity and XENON GAS which is limited. So I will allow Ion Engines.

Since you could propel yourself with tires, magneto boom, or robotic parts and create trust you could theoretically go up or create thrust. I will not allow these items to be used as trust to reach your destination. You may use these parts for experiments or rovers to explore your destination.

Yes, you may bring science experiments on the challenge. May sure they don't serve any use for trust for your craft.

You may not use Kraken Drives. Because Kraken Drives can give almost infinite range it goes against the 3,333 meters of Delta V challenge. So please no Kraken Drives or exploiting glitches. 

No use of the cheat menu. Accessing the chat menu could give you infinite fuel or hacking the gravity. Please don't use these things. No cheat menu. 

Like though you may use colliding into terrain to get rid of excessive waste. Like in Stratzenblitz75’s submission by gaining more delta v by getting excess mass. But for those who don't want to do that you have decouplers used to stage your rocket.

You may use gravity assist off of any planet or moon. I will allow this and you can make unlimited gravity assists if you want.

When it comes to mods there are some that enhance a ship and some that add planets and some that are shaders. I will only allow mods that enhance gameplay, shaders, Kerbal engineer, and the Outer Planets Mod.  No Hyper Edit or anything related.

You may not bring any way for refueling a ship. This means no ore tanks, drills (unless for science), and converter-trons.  And also no cargo. 1.11 has allowed players to attach small fuel tanks to crafts. So you may not be building in space.

You may not dock with space stations or other ships to refuel. Actually no docking at all. No orbital assembly either. You may only submit on craft. However if you are attempting an Apollo style landing you may dock with the lander and ship only. Nothing else.

You may not spouse 4CS trusted because people might use it to cheat DV read outs.

Those are the rules listed above in the 13 paragraphs. Now I will list the 5 rankings. 

• Awesome! You made it to the Kerbin orbit, Mun, or Minmus and returned safely. 

• The Kerbal Award of Cheapness! You made it to Duna, Eve, Ike, or Gilly and made it back safely.

• The Von Kerman Award! You made it to Moho and Dres and made it back safely.

• In The Name of the Kraken! You made it to Jool and beyond and returned the crew safely!

• Impress Me! Impress me with a crazy mission by following this challenge. 

List of participants, crafts names, and rankings:

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Edited just now by Dr. Kerbal 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.