[1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] MOAR Station Science - Out of BETA

linuxgurugamer

Here are saves, logs, and screen shots illustrating the problems that I had with the Plasma Fuels experiment. All but one of the files is from a science game that I played just to reproduce the problem.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11DSyZ3KTP14hX-qoyvaKLYnpoARg4dyv?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the files. I haven't shared files this way before. I might have done something wrong.

In the science game, the experiment is complete, and a deploy button appears in the right-click menu. Screen shot 40 shows this. Clicking on the button changes the menu. The deploy button disappears. Screen shot 41 shows this. Then the menu reverts to showing the Deploy button. 

Screen shot 42 is from a career game and shows the "Status: BadLocation" that is displayed when I try to deploy. Grepping the code for "BadLocation" might be fruitful.

In the science game, the display is "Status: Storage".

The stations with the cyclotron and TH-NKR lab are similar, but not the same in the science and career games. I think that the craft used to deliver the experiment to the station is identical.

Xenon gas was loaded into the experiment before attempting to deploy it.

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.

• 2 months later...

Hey, good to see Fuel Science was eventually picked up. Thanks @linuxgurugamer for your ongoing efforts in keeping orphaned mods from going entirely forgotten.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:19 AM, Apricot said:

StnSciExperiment2.cfg titled #autoLOC_expPrograde_title which is "Experiment: Prograde Kuarqs" in English localization.

exper02ProgradeKuarqs.cfg in ArcanumIndustries dir also titled "Experiment: Prograde Kuarqs"

@Apricot The Fuel Science parts were all designed to have the same model - but this didn't match the original experiments. The ones with the same name as the originals were intended to let you choose which you preferred the look of.

This was before contracts existed in the base game.

When Station Science (classic flavour) started to include contracts, it just used the display name of the part - and this didn't cause problems, because by that point Fuel Science was no longer actively maintained and probably not many people had it installed any more.

Now that they're both in the same place, we have the issue where the contract says "Perform Experiment: Prograde Kuarqs" and you don't know which one it is. As a short-term workaround, any contract requests will require the default experiments. The skeletal black/yellow parts won't work for contracts.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:08 PM, Speadge said:

edit3:

if arcanum-parts are the way to go, shouldn't THEY be listed in StationScience.cfg?:

// To disable contracts for a given experiment or planet, remove that
  // entry from these lists
  experimentChallenge
  {
    StnSciExperiment1 = 1
    StnSciExperiment2 = 2
    StnSciExperiment3 = 2.5
    StnSciExperiment4 = 3
    StnSciExperiment5 = 2.5
    StnSciExperiment6 = 3.5
  }

@Speadge The contracts part of Station Science is significantly newer than Fuel Science (the Arcanum parts). With a quick look through the code, you could replace the following sections of that config and see if it helps:

experimentChallenge
  {
    costlyExperimentPlantGrowth = 1
    costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs = 2
    costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs = 2.5
    costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs = 3
    costlyExperimentCreatureComforts = 2.5
    costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity = 3.5
    costlyExperimentRocketFuels = 1.5
    costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels = 2.75
    costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels = 3.25
  }

// snip

experimentPrereqs
  {
    costlyExperimentPlantGrowth = costlyExperimentPlantGrowth,StnSciLab
    costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs = costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs = costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs = costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentCreatureComforts = costlyExperimentCreatureComforts,StnSciLab,StnSciZoo
    costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity = costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity,StnSciLab,StnSciZoo,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentRocketFuels = costlyExperimentRocketFuels,StnSciLab
    costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels = costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels = costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
  }

• 5 weeks later...

I've just started using the Station Science mod and my first contract, 'Preform experiment : Prograde Kaurq's in orbit around Kerbin', isn't being completed. I have a station in orbit with a cyclotron, TH-NKR Research Lab (as well as a Mobile Lab), a Spectrometron as well as a zoology bay, ample energy storage and solar panels. When I dock my Prograde Kaurq ship it fills up with the Kaurq's and then begins processing them into Eurekas. At no time does the Contract mark "complete in orbit around Kerbin" even when the experiment ship has completely filled with Eurekas.

If I undock with full Eurakas I get a message that the experiment hasn't been finalized and production of Eurekas halts until I redock.
If I finalize the experiment I'm given the choice to keep experiment or send it to the lab for further processing. I've done both and then landed/recovered the ship back at KSC but still no "complete in orbit" marked or credit for the experiment when it is recovered. I've even tried to run the experiment, undock when it is ready to be finalized, and landed it to no avail.

So I figure I'm missing some step or process and was hoping someone could fill me in or point me to a source offering more explanation on how to do the experiments.

1 hour ago, James Kerman said:

Hi @Oort, your issue has been merged with the current thread for this mod.

Wrong thread, I adopted this a while ago, look up a few posts.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:29 AM, Sheachen said:

This is a nice MOD.I have created a Chinese Localization file myself.Would you mind adding it to the mod file? I can upload it to github if you want:wink:

If not done already, upload it to my repo and I’ll get it merged.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Wrong thread, I adopted this a while ago, look up a few posts.

If not done already, upload it to my repo and I’ll get it merged.

Sorry for posting in wrong location. Looks like its sorted now. Thanks!

As an update, I did find that once I finalized the experiment I could analyze it in the spectrometron.  Once that was done the Research lab had the option to 'Clean experiment', which I believe just means to reset the experiment much like a scientist can reset a goo canister. But returning the ship with the experiment part, with or without cleaning, still failed to complete the mission and the requirement of "complete in orbit around Kerbin" still wasn't fulfilled either way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Is there a way to reduce/adjust "clean out experiment in MPL"-time?
Meanwhile its annoying, to what 10/15 minutes to "reset" multiple
experiments each to tramsit resuts to round a dozend science stations.

I looked through all possible and reasonable .cfg, but cant find any
"switch" to adjust.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2021 at 4:14 PM, Daniel Prates said:

Same here. Usually a remote probe. Easy. The crew go separately. Heck the scientists can even live in the station while you send successive different experiment probes and run one after the other. With kerbal health or kerbalism it is even more interesting as providing a prolonged stay is harder still. While you're at it, install near future electrical + system heat and give a try at running nuclear reactors plus a dedicated heat management system; the cyclotrons seem like they were made for that.

Hey @Daniel Prates,

are you saying that this great mod works fine with Kerbalism?

Or do we need patches for it? (KSP 1.12 - Kerbalism 3.14)

@linuxgurugamerheya, sorry for the long delay! life got in the way... but all the science results have been completed and properly activated this time in the .cfg's I have sent ya a pull request on github :)

Also I have a wishlist I would like to do to contribute to this, if I have your permission such as :-

Stuff I have already done!:
Add a full set of science reports for every experiment in every planet, 1 each for "InSpace" and 1 for "SrfLanded".

• Seed Growth - DONE!
  • Zoology Bay Observations - DONE!
  • Creature Comforts - DONE!
  • Prograde Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Retrograde Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Eccentric Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Kuarq Bio-activity - DONE!

Renamed "Plant Growth" experiment to "Seed Growth", this I did to avoid conflicting with other Plant Growth experiments built into other mods e.g. Station Parts Expansion... and allowed for easier science reports as the experiment has the Kerbal's taking up seeds and growing them in their current biome and see how the develop differently then on Kerbin. - DONE!

Renamed "Animals" to "Creatures" - did this to again avoid other mods but was not sure wether to give them a cute name like "Tribbles"... so I thought "Creatures" would suffice. - DONE!

Stuff I am sure I can do, right away:

Add more experiment pods! Already have concepts ready!
Have a tier system of experiments which will cost more it Eurekas, Bioproducts and Kuarqs to complete
Base the experiments and future ones on specific types e.g. Biology, Physiology, Physics etc.

Stuff I need to figure out that is doable for me possibly:

Add the Spectrometron part as a experiment requirement for more complex experiments
Add new repeatable contracts that reward very little science points but instead provide large cash bonuses (concept and experiment pods already done, just not sure how to get the contracts made

Add power consumption to all experiments! as it seems to not be consuming any EC to perform any experiment...

Stuff I have no clue about:

Re-doing the labs and pod models and textures to be at ReStock quality...
"Maybe" Resize the Zoology Bay to size 3...
Make more experiment pod variants in their current design... (e.g. combine pod symbols for more complex experiments)
Higher tier experiments have larger pods.
Add special docking ports on the lab modules (e.g. like the ISS JAXA Kibo Science Lab and Logistics Cargo Bay)
Extend the time to complete experiments into days/weeks of Kerbal Time, to encourage timewarp...
Add a toolbar to track and monitor progress of experiments across multiple space stations or bases.
Add/Modify to create surface versions of the Research Lab, Zoology Bay and Spectrometron
Creating proper IVA's for each part.
"Maybe" Add a RNG generator to the experiment, so that the time required is randomised... e.g. Seed Growth in orbit above Kerbin takes 3-4 kerbin weeks, but the same experiment over Minmus takes nearly 6 kerbin weeks.
Create add-on expansion modules to the exsisting parts. to extend the abilities and types of research that can be performed...

Any info, help or advice would be great, I know @linuxgurugameris just maintaining this to keep it alive... I would love to take it over, but my knowledge of C# and graphic design is rudimentry at best.

Edited by spoonyboobah

19 hours ago, spoonyboobah said:

@linuxgurugamerheya, sorry for the long delay! life got in the way... but all the science results have been completed and properly activated this time in the .cfg's I have sent ya a pull request on github :)

Also I have a wishlist I would like to do to contribute to this, if I have your permission such as :-

Stuff I have already done!:
Add a full set of science reports for every experiment in every planet, 1 each for "InSpace" and 1 for "SrfLanded".

• Seed Growth - DONE!
  • Zoology Bay Observations - DONE!
  • Creature Comforts - DONE!
  • Prograde Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Retrograde Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Eccentric Kuarqs - DONE!
  • Kuarq Bio-activity - DONE!

Renamed "Plant Growth" experiment to "Seed Growth", this I did to avoid conflicting with other Plant Growth experiments built into other mods e.g. Station Parts Expansion... and allowed for easier science reports as the experiment has the Kerbal's taking up seeds and growing them in their current biome and see how the develop differently then on Kerbin. - DONE!

Renamed "Animals" to "Creatures" - did this to again avoid other mods but was not sure wether to give them a cute name like "Tribbles"... so I thought "Creatures" would suffice. - DONE!

Stuff I am sure I can do, right away:

Add more experiment pods! Already have concepts ready!
Have a tier system of experiments which will cost more it Eurekas, Bioproducts and Kuarqs to complete
Base the experiments and future ones on specific types e.g. Biology, Physiology, Physics etc.

Stuff I need to figure out that is doable for me possibly:

Add the Spectrometron part as a experiment requirement for more complex experiments
Add new repeatable contracts that reward very little science points but instead provide large cash bonuses (concept and experiment pods already done, just not sure how to get the contracts made

Add power consumption to all experiments! as it seems to not be consuming any EC to perform any experiment...

Stuff I have no clue about:

Re-doing the labs and pod models and textures to be at ReStock quality...
"Maybe" Resize the Zoology Bay to size 3...
Make more experiment pod variants in their current design... (e.g. combine pod symbols for more complex experiments)
Higher tier experiments have larger pods.
Add special docking ports on the lab modules (e.g. like the ISS JAXA Kibo Science Lab and Logistics Cargo Bay)
Extend the time to complete experiments into days/weeks of Kerbal Time, to encourage timewarp...
Add a toolbar to track and monitor progress of experiments across multiple space stations or bases.
Add/Modify to create surface versions of the Research Lab, Zoology Bay and Spectrometron
Creating proper IVA's for each part.

Any info, help or advice would be great, I know @linuxgurugameris just maintaining this to keep it alive... I would love to take it over, but my knowledge of C# and graphic design is rudimentry at best.

I'll get to merging this in the next few days, just slammed a bit at work right now.

Go ahead with the new stuff you mention above.  Always welcome new stuff

UPDATE!

Hey all, just wanted to share some progress I have made :-

I have sent the pull request to @linuxgurugamerto merge and so all the experiments will finally have proper "kerbalised" science reports for every planet
!

I have also started on learning the code in the mod itself hoping to make many improvements in the future, hopefully leading into KSP2... any help would be much apprieciated however, if any coders or modelers have any tips, that would be great!...

Also I can reveal the first new experiment I will be ad
ding to Station Science!

Nutritional Value
Tier: 2
Type: Biology / Plants
How does food grown in space compare to home grown snacks? Lets feed it to some creatures in the Zoo Bay and find out! You will need a TH-NKR Research Lab and F-RRY Zoology Bay for this experiment. Note: don't attach directly to your station, unless you intend to return it to the surface.
Eurekas Required: 75
Bioproducts Required: 25

This new experiment will also have a full range of science reports, detailing all the weird and wacky ways that the creatures react to "space food" from Duna to Eeloo!

Hope you like this! And any feedback would be great! :D

Edited by spoonyboobah

Thanks for the merge @linuxgurugamer!!!

Just wanna point out  to all that "ALL Science Experiments" means all the 'stock' StationScience experiments, NOT the Arcanum 'Fuel Experiments'.

Also with my future experiments, I will be using the original "2.0" assets in the mod for the experiment pods and not using Arcanums, as they fit the "Restock-era" much better until I can figure out how to make my own/find someone willing to help :D 

Also...

UPDATE! - NEW / RESTORED OLD EXPERIMENT!!

Zoology Observations
Tier: 1
Type: Physiology / Creatures
How are our cute furry creatures affected by being in space, millions of kilometres from Kerbin? This pod contains a variety of observation and surveillance equipment to analyse how the creatures have changed. You will need a F-RRY Zoology Bay to perform this experiment. Note: don't attach directly to your station, unless you intend to return it to the surface.
Bioproducts Required: 25

This is a restoration of the original built-in experiment to the F-RRY Zoology Bay that would be similar to a "Crew Report", however at some point it was removed... so this experiment pod will return it. It will also have a full set of science reports, which I have already got done as I didnt realise it had been disabled :D. So for the Physiology type experiments there will be currently two :-

Tier 1: Zoology Observations - Bioproducts: 25 - REQ: F-RRY Zoology Bay
Tier 2: Creature Comforts - Eurekas: 30, Bioproducts: 30 - REQ: TH-NKR Research Lab, F-RRY Zoology Bay
Tier 3: ?????

Edited by spoonyboobah

5 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

Thank you @spoonyboobah and @linuxgurugamer!

Quick question and I know the answer is probably "test" or "YMMV (and occasionally self-destruct)".. but just wondering if this would be harmful to install on an (early) career that has the last version before this update?

Heya,

No this should not break your save, as I have only added the "science reports" and not made any fundamental change to the mod itself. So you should be fine :)

Edited by spoonyboobah

6 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey,

Did somebody maybe already test this wonderful great mod with Kerbalism?

Or do we need patches for it? (KSP 1.12.3 - Kerbalism 3.14)

No idea, @N3Nnever used Kerbalism myself, and this mod is quite old and unfortunately been abandoned a few times, so I would guess and say patches are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Heya all.... just wanted to post what I have been up to so far, nearly completed the first couple if NEW experiments.... As planned I have seperated the experiments into the following catagories :- Biology, Physiology and Physics. (maybe more to come later...). I have also organised all the experiments and will make changes so that they are tiered... Here is a table on all the stuff I have sorted so far...

Biology Physiology Physics
Tier 1 Seed Growth Zoology Observations Prograde Kuarqs
Tier 2 Nutritional Value Creature Comforts Retrograde Kuarqs
Tier 3 **COMING SOON** Kuarq Bio-activity Eccentric Kuarqs
...???      

The one's in bold are the default one's included originally in the Station Science mod... the one's in italics are ones I am working on right now...and if they are underlined then I have completed and will be sent to @linuxgurugamersoon.

Each tier adds a layer of complexity to the exeriments requirements, e.g. Tier 1 only require 1 station module (Seed Growth requires just the TH-NKR Research Lab but Nutritional Value requires the TH-NKR Research Lab and the F-RRY Zoology Bay, the Tier 3's require 3 modules etc...)

Also the Biology and Physiology Tier 3 experiments are now considered "hybrid" experiments such as Kuarq Bio-activity is a Tier 3 Physiology / Physics Hybrid Experiment where the point is to see how the kuarqs interact with the creatures in the F-RRY Zoology Bay and vice-versa... However this only applies to experiments that involve a subject (Biology = Plants and Physiology = Creatures) to be exposed to a "stuff" (Physics = Kuarqs particles and.... :P).

And there is also much more to come!

Hope you all like these changes. I have many more changes to come and hopefully with expansions to the mod as well :D

Edited by spoonyboobah

UPDATE AGAIN!

Been grinding it out today and finally finished the reports for Experiment: Nutritional Value and the pull request has been sent to @linuxgurugamer:D So this update will bring 1 NEW experiment and 1 OLD one back to StationScience.

Hope you all like, I have got much more lined up, just need the expertise to help me.

I would also like to note, I have not used the Arcanum assets, so if you do not want duplicate experiments just delete the ArcanumIndustries folder from StationScience.

:D

Edited by spoonyboobah

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.