[1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] MOAR Station Science - Out of BETA

linuxgurugamer

UPDATE! - NEW EXPERIMENT!!

Heya all, it's that time again! Let's show you all what I been working on! Think you will all like this because it will complete the set of experiments with the one's that came originally with Station Science.... I am also working on tweaking other features and quality of life improvements.... and that will complete Phase 1 of my plans for Station Science... Phase 2 is already well on the way and planned, but will soon be in very need for help in regards to coding and modelling. I will hopefully soon have a volunteer helper for coding soon! but before that I will work on testing my plans with placeholder assets. If anyone is interested in helping me bring this great mod to a proper completion, please don't hesitate to contact me! :D

Irradiated Plant Adaptation
Tier: 3
Type: Biology - Plants / Kuarqs
Scientists have requested to conduct an experiment to see how your plants can adapt to hostile spacey environments and explore other space hazards. Your mission is to blast these potted plants with kuarqs and see how the plants and the kuarqs react to each other. You will also need to keep some poor creatures in the lab nearby to act as a medium for "unfortunate exposure" and study their bioproducts. You will need a TH-NKR Research Lab, a F-RRY Zoology Bay and 1x D-ZZY Cyclotron.
Eurekas Required: 50
Bioproducts Required: 25
Kuarqs Required: 50 (Half-life: 40)

As I explained in my earlier post, this experiment is considered a "hybrid" experiment of both Plants and Kuarqs. Also this will complete all the Tier 3 experiments in Station Science although I do have many more in the works.... which I cannot wait to show you... Here is a new table to show you all the experiments that will be in Station Science after this first phase!... The colours indicate the type so the multi-color experiments are the "hybrids" and the ones in bold are the experiments that originally came with Station Science...

Biology / Plants Physiology / Creatures Physics / Kuarqs
Tier 1 Seed Growth Zoology Observations Prograde Kuarqs
Tier 2 Nutritional Value Creature Comforts Retrograde Kuarqs
Tier 3 Irradiated Plant Adaptation Kuarq Bio-activity Eccentric Kuarqs
Edited by spoonyboobah

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Hi all, sorry for no update in a while... been doing tons of research and tinkering with Station Science... have my idea for my new chain of research flushed out and designed.... however this will need new models and coding... I am trying my best to learn but am kind of diving into the deep end with KSP modding haha!

In the meantime, I have sent all the experiments that needed no new modding to @linuxgurugamerto update. I guess he has been busy with merging my updates... While I have been waiting I have been playing around with Station Science to work on quality of life improvements to the already existing mod parts... and am coming up with a list of stuff that I think would make StationScience much more "intergrated" with the Stock Science experiments....

If anyone has any time or experience to share in Modelling and Coding, I would love to chat and show ya what I got planned, please just drop me a message :D

On 1/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, ArcaneZedric said:

The contracts part of Station Science is significantly newer than Fuel Science (the Arcanum parts). With a quick look through the code, you could replace the following sections of that config and see if it helps:

experimentChallenge
  {
    costlyExperimentPlantGrowth = 1
    costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs = 2
    costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs = 2.5
    costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs = 3
    costlyExperimentCreatureComforts = 2.5
    costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity = 3.5
    costlyExperimentRocketFuels = 1.5
    costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels = 2.75
    costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels = 3.25
  }

// snip

experimentPrereqs
  {
    costlyExperimentPlantGrowth = costlyExperimentPlantGrowth,StnSciLab
    costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs = costlyExperimentProgradeKuarqs,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs = costlyExperimentRetrogradeKuarqs,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs = costlyExperimentEccentricKuarqs,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentCreatureComforts = costlyExperimentCreatureComforts,StnSciLab,StnSciZoo
    costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity = costlyExperimentKuarqBioactivity,StnSciLab,StnSciZoo,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentRocketFuels = costlyExperimentRocketFuels,StnSciLab
    costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels = costlyExperimentAdvancedFuels,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
    costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels = costlyExperimentPlasmaFuels,StnSciLab,StnSciCyclo
  }

I also had the problem that contracts wouldn't complete, because contracts had an "experimentType" of "StnSciExperiment5" etc. and those parts are no longer available.

I tried the above changes, and they made no difference, contracts still required "StnSciExperiment5". I even checked the ModuleManager cache, and the changes were properly applied there.

So as a last resort I deleted the StnSciExperiment* part files. And now I wasn't getting any new contracts at all anymore, and in the logs there's a NRE in StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.GetUnlockedExperiments, even though the MM cache now has not a single occurence of the text "StnSciExperiment":

Spoiler

[EXC 18:21:19.411] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
       ResearchAndDevelopment.partTechAvailable (AvailablePart ap) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       ResearchAndDevelopment.PartTechAvailable (AvailablePart ap) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.AllUnlocked (System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] set) (at <bee40b38c5
f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.GetUnlockedExperiments () (at <bee40b38c5f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.Generate () (at <bee40b38c5f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Int
32 seed, Contracts.Contract+State state) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32 seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, Sys
tem.Type contractType) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty) (a
t <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, S
ystem.Int32 count) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem+<UpdateDaemon>d__47.MoveNext () (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAd
dress) (at <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0)
       UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
       ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
       UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
       ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

So apparently there's a problem loading the "STN_SCI_SETTINGS" nodes from StationScience.cfg, because it will use the compile-time defaults no matter what I tried.

I think at this point the only workaround at the moment is to delete the old files, and rename the ArcanumIndustries parts to StnSciExperiment...

On 6/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, jd284 said:

I also had the problem that contracts wouldn't complete, because contracts had an "experimentType" of "StnSciExperiment5" etc. and those parts are no longer available.

I tried the above changes, and they made no difference, contracts still required "StnSciExperiment5". I even checked the ModuleManager cache, and the changes were properly applied there.

So as a last resort I deleted the StnSciExperiment* part files. And now I wasn't getting any new contracts at all anymore, and in the logs there's a NRE in StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.GetUnlockedExperiments, even though the MM cache now has not a single occurence of the text "StnSciExperiment":

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 18:21:19.411] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
       ResearchAndDevelopment.partTechAvailable (AvailablePart ap) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       ResearchAndDevelopment.PartTechAvailable (AvailablePart ap) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.AllUnlocked (System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] set) (at <bee40b38c5
f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.GetUnlockedExperiments () (at <bee40b38c5f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.Generate () (at <bee40b38c5f24f8b962dd053be18e86b>:0)
       Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Int
32 seed, Contracts.Contract+State state) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32 seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, Sys
tem.Type contractType) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty) (a
t <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, Contracts.Contract+ContractPrestige difficulty, S
ystem.Int32 count) (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       Contracts.ContractSystem+<UpdateDaemon>d__47.MoveNext () (at <4deecb19beb547f19b1ff89b4c59bd84>:0)
       UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAd
dress) (at <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0)
       UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

So apparently there's a problem loading the "STN_SCI_SETTINGS" nodes from StationScience.cfg, because it will use the compile-time defaults no matter what I tried.

I think at this point the only workaround at the moment is to delete the old files, and rename the ArcanumIndustries parts to StnSciExperiment...

Hey @jd284thanks for this, yeah it's hard for me as @linuxgurugameris the one in charge of this, but yeah I have had many problems in regards to the Arcanum parts conflicting... but in my expansion, I use the original assets and I assume code... I do have future plans to do something "Chemistry" based that would replace Fuel Science... so maybe @linuxgurugamercan have a look at removing these assets and code... But unfortunately I do not have the coding skills to do it myself...

On 6/26/2022 at 6:35 PM, jd284 said:

So after looking at it in more detail it was just that, and I found the problem: the config loading code does not clear the settings before loading new entries, so it could only change the existing entries (or add new ones), but could not remove them. I made a pull request to fix it.

With that change ModuleManager patches will work properly; I'm now preparing one for the RSS planets/moons that removes the existing ones as well. (Also, unrelated to this bug, better integration with the CommunityTechTree.)

3 minutes ago, jd284 said:

So after looking at it in more detail it was just that, and I found the problem: the config loading code does not clear the settings before loading new entries, so it could only change the existing entries (or add new ones), but could not remove them. I made a pull request to fix it.

With that change ModuleManager patches will work properly; I'm now preparing one for the RSS planets/moons that removes the existing ones as well. (Also, unrelated to this bug, better integration with the CommunityTechTree.)

If those additional changes are imminent, I'll wait to do a release, please give me an ETA on them

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If those additional changes are imminent, I'll wait to do a release, please give me an ETA on them

I wrote the files and I'm trying to test them now.

CTT patches seem to work, but I'm not sure how to test if the RSS planetChallenge values are taking effect. I mean, they're correct in the MM cache but I don't know if it's actually using the values I give. I got a contract for experiments on the Moon, does that mean it's working? Or is it possibly just using a default value?

[edit2]

Right, adding some good old debug log statements I found that it's using the right values, so I added the files to the PR.

[edit1]

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh and do you want a PR for the above Station.cfg changes to use ArcanumIndustries parts? That would have the disadvantage that no more contracts for the old parts would appear. Although I guess those parts are deprecated anyway.

Edited by jd284

1 hour ago, jd284 said:

I wrote the files and I'm trying to test them now.

CTT patches seem to work, but I'm not sure how to test if the RSS planetChallenge values are taking effect. I mean, they're correct in the MM cache but I don't know if it's actually using the values I give. I got a contract for experiments on the Moon, does that mean it's working? Or is it possibly just using a default value?

[edit2]

Right, adding some good old debug log statements I found that it's using the right values, so I added the files to the PR.

[edit1]

Oh and do you want a PR for the above Station.cfg changes to use ArcanumIndustries parts? That would have the disadvantage that no more contracts for the old parts would appear. Although I guess those parts are deprecated anyway.

Sounds good to me

Heya @jd284 and @linuxgurugamer

Not sure what to do at this point, cause all my contributions have using the original StationScience assets and .cfg's not the Arcanum ones as although they are newer and do add "Fuel Experiment" the part quality in textures is quite bad espacially in relation to current Stock and Restock textures and the original ones look better imo...

So these changes although good for fixing bugs will now complicate the mod to even greater extent... and this does need sorting out... and the base code needs sorting out and a decision made on wether to keep the Arcanum models or revert back to original StationScience models.

Would absolutely love to chat with ya both and discuss this further.,.. :D

Edited by spoonyboobah

3 hours ago, spoonyboobah said:

So these changes although good for fixing bugs will now complicate the mod to even greater extent... and this does need sorting out... and the base code needs sorting out and a decision made on wether to keep the Arcanum models or revert back to original StationScience models.

Well the code changes just make it possible to use any kind of setup in the cfg file, old parts, new parts, or both. As long as you add new parts with the experiments, and set them up in the StationScience.cfg, it should absolutely work as it did before. If you edit the existing parts, people won't see that anyway because those have been disabled for a while and won't show up, neither in the tech tree nor the VAB unless you unlocked them long ago.

As for the assets, so far the old parts are only deprecated but still there. Only when they're removed altogether you'll have to be careful that the assets you use now are getting kept.

Personally I don't really care which parts are kept (or how they look in fact), just there should be no duplicates (as there are now) and there's maximum variety in experiments, including the fuel science.

Not sure what to do at this point, cause all my contributions have using the original StationScience assets and .cfg's not the Arcanum ones as although they are newer and do add "Fuel Experiment" the part quality in textures is quite bad espacially in relation to current Stock and Restock textures and the original ones look better imo..

Been a while since I really looked at this mod, would have to spend some time looking at these.  

Bug fixes are good, I'll look at the models in a little bit to compare

42 minutes ago, jd284 said:

those have been disabled for a while and won't show up, neither in the tech tree nor the VAB unless you unlocked them long ago.

Only the experiments

42 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Well the code changes just make it possible to use any kind of setup in the cfg file, old parts, new parts, or both. As long as you add new parts with the experiments, and set them up in the StationScience.cfg, it should absolutely work as it did before. If you edit the existing parts, people won't see that anyway because those have been disabled for a while and won't show up, neither in the tech tree nor the VAB unless you unlocked them long ago.

Bug fixes are good, of course

I'm streaming this evening (my modding stream) about 6:30 US Eastern (EDT).  I _might_ look at this mod to review the models and compare the new vs the old.

I somewhat in agreement about not having duplicates, but will need to be careful with the changes.  I haven't merged anything yet.

There are 4 PRs waiting, two by  @Grimmas, one by @spoonyboobah and one by @jd284.

This might be a good time to review the whole thing, would be great if either or both of you could jump into my stream to discuss this real-time (https://twitch.tv/linuxgurugamer)

Looking at the patch by @jd284, I see it's removing the settings from cfg files for the old experiments.  Other than cleaning up the cfgs, @jd284 is there any reason to remove those lines from GameData/StationScience/StationScience.cfg

Just rambling right now, have to get to work and will look back at this later

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looking at the patch by @jd284, I see it's removing the settings from cfg files for the old experiments.  Other than cleaning up the cfgs, @jd284 is there any reason to remove those lines from GameData/StationScience/StationScience.cfg

Well there should be only one experiment of each type in the cfg, otherwise people can't know which exact experiment part is required for a given contract. This was discussed here a few months ago, there wasn't any opposition to the suggested solution and the other experiments are disabled anyway, so I just assumed this was accepted. But feel free to leave that change out of the PR. Or keep both sets and hope that users only unlock one part of each type.

Like I said above, I don't really care which experiments are in the default cfg (especially now that a MM patch works), but I'd prefer to have the fuel science ones in. For users, the convenient thing to do would be to make this an in-game mod option but I have no idea how to accomplish that...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 11:25 PM, dlrk said:

Is it known/intended for the stock MPL to generate heat? Couldn't figure out what was going on till I tracked into a CFG

Since there's an MM patch to add exactly that (MM-StockScienceLab.cfg), at least at one point in the past it was known and intended by someone...

That file has been untouched since linuxgurugamer adopted the mod. So if you're trying to figure out why it is so, you'll have to trawl through the original mod's thread instead.

I don't think it really makes sense either for StationScience to add it, and caught me by surprise as well, but I was in the process of bringing up the large radiators to my station anyway, so it didn't really matter for me in the end.

Although in general KSP space station generate far too little heat that often you don't even need radiators, where in reality overheating is one of the most pressing problems after oxygen, water and electricity are taken care of. Even the Space Shuttle couldn't go to some orbits because it would get too much sunlight and cook itself.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:53 AM, luna_cat said:

Here are saves, logs, and screen shots illustrating the problems that I had with the Plasma Fuels experiment. All but one of the files is from a science game that I played just to reproduce the problem.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11DSyZ3KTP14hX-qoyvaKLYnpoARg4dyv?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the files. I haven't shared files this way before. I might have done something wrong.

In the science game, the experiment is complete, and a deploy button appears in the right-click menu. Screen shot 40 shows this. Clicking on the button changes the menu. The deploy button disappears. Screen shot 41 shows this. Then the menu reverts to showing the Deploy button. 

Screen shot 42 is from a career game and shows the "Status: BadLocation" that is displayed when I try to deploy. Grepping the code for "BadLocation" might be fruitful.

In the science game, the display is "Status: Storage".

The stations with the cyclotron and TH-NKR lab are similar, but not the same in the science and career games. I think that the craft used to deliver the experiment to the station is identical.

Xenon gas was loaded into the experiment before attempting to deploy it.

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.

I have this exact same issue, including the "Plasma Fuel testing can't be done right now" message. Is this a problem with the stations's location or parts, or is this a mod (version?) issue? I can't find any answer to this reported issue.
I'm running KSP v1.12.3, with mod version v2.6.1.3, with several other mods active (using CKAN). All other experiments seem to be working correctly.

Moar-Science-Plasma-Fuel-Problem.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 1:53 PM, forthur said:

I have this exact same issue, including the "Plasma Fuel testing can't be done right now" message. Is this a problem with the stations's location or parts, or is this a mod (version?) issue? I can't find any answer to this reported issue.

I had a similar problem with the "Bad Location" display instead. That led me to investigate about the allowed locations, and unlike all other StationScience experiments, the Plasma Fuels experiment has a "situationMask" of 32, meaning "only when high in space". I'm not sure if this is intentional since it's not mentioned anywhere in the experiment description or elsewhere... however as far as I can tell it's been like this for years with no changes, so I guess nobody was able to finish this experiment unless high in space. Changing that to the usual value of 51 allows running it in the same places as the other experiments.

Although I can't quite confirm right now because apparently I forgot to bring a second cyclotron...

Anyway, to change this either edit StationScience/ArcanumIndustries/Resources/Experiments.cfg directly, or put the following MM patch somewhere in your GameData and see if it helps you too. If so I could make a PR to change this, although the question remains whether that's intentional or not...

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#id[plasmaFuels]]
{
        @situationMask = 51
}

Hello all, first off thanks to everyone for the hard work in keeping this mod updated. Its one of my essentials.

Iv got a bit of a bug report to make. In what way is the rocket fuels experiment configured differently than the other experiments?
The rocket fuels experiment behaves a bit wonky with a few other mods. For example, when using Kerbal Environmental Institute, the rocket fuels experiment is able to be done on the ground, as if it were a stock science experiment. The other Station Science experiments work correctly however. There also are issues with some of the contract mods im running (Contract Configuration and the Contract packs not sure which) which seem to want to treat the Rocket Fuels experiment like a stock experiment while correctly ignoring the other station experiments.

It seems like this would be an easy MM patch fix and Im happy to help, just wondering where to start.

Thanks for your time.

24 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

It seems like this would be an easy MM patch fix and Im happy to help, just wondering where to start.

I recently made PR #721 to ContractConfigurator to fix the fuel science experiments, bringing them in line with the rest of Station Science, however this should affect all three of them the same. There does not appear to be a different setup for just Rocket Fuels so I don't know how that could be working differently.

I also don't have Kerbal Environmental Institute, but it probably also has a StationScience config of its own which is missing the fuel science experiments since the mod merger.

17 minutes ago, jd284 said:

I recently made PR #721 to ContractConfigurator to fix the fuel science experiments, bringing them in line with the rest of Station Science, however this should affect all three of them the same.

Has this been confirmed into the download yet? looking at github it seems still open. As for it not effecting all thats most likely because I haven't unlocked the other 2 yet in the tech tree so only have encountered it with them.

For KEI, if I just grab and edit the config manually it should work then right? (or is that such bad practice that I shouldnt do it lol)

9 hours ago, CastleKSide said:

For KEI, if I just grab and edit the config manually it should work then right? (or is that such bad practice that I shouldnt do it lol)

The ContractConfigurator file will not help with KEI. But I don't know how KEI does this, you should probably ask in their thread how to exclude the fuel science experiments.

Heya all,

Hope everyone is all well... There is some big news on the way regarding this mod... so watch this space, next week :)

9 hours ago, CastleKSide said:

Has this been confirmed into the download yet? looking at github it seems still open. As for it not effecting all thats most likely because I haven't unlocked the other 2 yet in the tech tree so only have encountered it with them.

@CastleKSideFuel Science has always been a bit of a pain for the Station Science mod, due to its "tacked on" nature... it even uses its own source code completely seperate from the rest of the mod, yet alone for contracts... I have seen @jd284 pull request, however, due to the soon coming announcement, it might make this all moot...

On 11/6/2022 at 3:49 AM, jd284 said:

The ContractConfigurator file will not help with KEI. But I don't know how KEI does this, you should probably ask in their thread how to exclude the fuel science experiments.

So turns out KEI is also managed by the fantastic @linuxgurugamer   seems he has taken over literally the entire modding scene. or at least all the mods I still care about. I dug thru the code of KEI a bit, and found that it excludes the Station Science parts by manufacturer rather than by individual part. As the Fuels experiments uses Arcanum Science Industries instead it was slipping thru the filter.

Adding the new manufacturer to the list fixed the issues. Single line copy and paste, very easy fix. Thanks for your help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.