[1.8.1-1.11.1] Stock Visual Terrain SVO (ScaledVersion Only)

What is this, you ask?

Why it's the famous SVT, but without the textures that are dated and superseded by stock.  In short, SVT still to this day has better scaledversion (space) textures than stock, but down on the ground, it looks worse than stock.

This pack rectifies this scenario by only loading the scaled version assets, and thus only getting the good parts, and none of the bad.  It also enabled colliders on stock scatters!

Based on:

By the world famous Galileo, I have full permission from the author for this remix.  He retains all rights to the art assets, and this is only a config file change.  All the same, the source is available on github here under a CC BY-NC-ND licence to Galileo (not me), with an expressed exemption by Galileo for me to edit the configs like this to maintain their usability.

Though I am open to suggestions, keep in mind there are both license limitations, and I am furthermore not an artist.  The most I can do is take what's still usable from his ever so pretty work, and apply it to modern KSP.  That's all I plan, anyways.

Requires Kopernicus, either stable or Bleeding Edge(supports latest versions)

A "space view" visual comparison (from 1.7.3, so some bodies like Jool are not valid anymore, but most are similar) is available here:

See Pretty Comparisons

DOWNLOAD ME

Edited by R-T-B
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Absolutely awesome! I've missed terrain scatter being collidable! On that note though, will I encounter any problems if I add this to an existing save with Spectra installed?

Just now, Misguided Kerbal said:

I see. Scaled version is the thing you see in map view, yes? This shouldn't have compatibility issues with Spectra?

Map view and very high orbit yes.  And no, It won't interfere at all with Spectra.  Spectra provides no scaled version replacements.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, R-T-B said:

Map view and very high orbit yes.  And no, It won't interfere at all with Spectra.  Spectra provides no scaled version replacements.

In fact, I'd HIGHLY recommend to install this mod along Spectra. Especially when using a rescaled solar system, it'll fix all the washed out textures when in high orbit. Just look at that Mun for reference: m5ueoOO.png

Duna is also more beautiful than ever:

yZu2fpG.png

Edited by pckbls

Thanks for the quality screenshots.  I've never made it past Mun/Minmus orbit personally (a bit ashamed to admit), but Duna does indeed look very nice.

14 hours ago, pckbls said:

In fact, I'd HIGHLY recommend to install this mod along Spectra. Especially when using a rescaled solar system, it'll fix all the washed out textures when in high orbit. 

I'm very curious, how SVO plays with rescaled systems. I hate those "washed out textures" and I use rescale mod a lot. On the other hand,  I don't really want to use Spectra. Does SVO fix those issues also in rescaled systems ? I'll check it out when I have some time, but I'd be greatful for any info