[1.8.1-1.11.1] Stock Visual Terrain SVO (ScaledVersion Only)

R-T-B

What is this, you ask?

Why it's the famous SVT, but without the textures that are dated and superseded by stock.  In short, SVT still to this day has better scaledversion (space) textures than stock, but down on the ground, it looks worse than stock.

This pack rectifies this scenario by only loading the scaled version assets, and thus only getting the good parts, and none of the bad.  It also enabled colliders on stock scatters!

Based on:

By the world famous Galileo, I have full permission from the author for this remix.  He retains all rights to the art assets, and this is only a config file change.  All the same, the source is available on github here under a CC BY-NC-ND licence to Galileo (not me), with an expressed exemption by Galileo for me to edit the configs like this to maintain their usability.

Though I am open to suggestions, keep in mind there are both license limitations, and I am furthermore not an artist.  The most I can do is take what's still usable from his ever so pretty work, and apply it to modern KSP.  That's all I plan, anyways.

Requires Kopernicus, either stable or Bleeding Edge(supports latest versions)

A "space view" visual comparison (from 1.7.3, so some bodies like Jool are not valid anymore, but most are similar) is available here:

See Pretty Comparisons

DOWNLOAD ME

Edited by R-T-B

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Misguided Kerbal said:

I see. Scaled version is the thing you see in map view, yes? This shouldn't have compatibility issues with Spectra?

Map view and very high orbit yes.  And no, It won't interfere at all with Spectra.  Spectra provides no scaled version replacements.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, R-T-B said:

Map view and very high orbit yes.  And no, It won't interfere at all with Spectra.  Spectra provides no scaled version replacements.

In fact, I'd HIGHLY recommend to install this mod along Spectra. Especially when using a rescaled solar system, it'll fix all the washed out textures when in high orbit. Just look at that Mun for reference: m5ueoOO.png

Duna is also more beautiful than ever:

yZu2fpG.png

Edited by pckbls

14 hours ago, pckbls said:

In fact, I'd HIGHLY recommend to install this mod along Spectra. Especially when using a rescaled solar system, it'll fix all the washed out textures when in high orbit. 

I'm very curious, how SVO plays with rescaled systems. I hate those "washed out textures" and I use rescale mod a lot. On the other hand,  I don't really want to use Spectra. Does SVO fix those issues also in rescaled systems ? I'll check it out when I have some time, but I'd be greatful for any info

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, theleg said:

Thanks for editing this mod! My rover is going through terrain scatterers. How do I enable collision?

On 2/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, Poodmund said:

On 2/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, R-T-B said:

better scaledversion (space) textures than stock

Would this work with Parallax for a nicer map view and high orbit look?

On 5/29/2021 at 7:43 AM, theleg said:

Thanks for editing this mod! My rover is going through terrain scatterers. How do I enable collision?

Yeah, it seems I didn't implement collisions right.  You can download the fix linked above.

I will probably release a patch for my work sometime soon too.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Would this work with Parallax for a nicer map view and high orbit look?

Certainly.

Edited by R-T-B

• 8 months later...

Yeah, this was broken for quite a while due to a typo.  I just fixed it.  Update issued for the 1 user (me?)

It still works good and is great for like 10x Kerbolar rescales, much less pixelation coming down to a 10x mun or similar.  Just make sure shader is on "high" not ultra or the Kerbin ice caps become...  green?  Brown?  Dunno but it's not right.  Atlas is weird.

PS:  Collisions are no longer included, because they were broken anyways.  Grab them from the link below if you want them in a non-broken form.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.