Challenge: Low Tech Supersonic

I just got an idea: a challenge: Make a supersonic jet using the least amount of science points possible (must be in level flight, cannot be going downwards). for this challenge, simply post a photo of the tech tree used, write how many science points you used, and a screenshot or video of you flying the jet at over mach 1.

6 hours ago, ImANoob said:

I just got an idea: a challenge: Make a supersonic jet using the least amount of science points possible (must be in level flight, cannot be going downwards). for this challenge, simply post a photo of the tech tree used, write how many science points you used, and a screenshot or video of you flying the jet at over mach 1.

Does it require a jet engine?
Can I use rockets to boost it? 

19 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

There's a subforum for challenges, and your thread now occupies it. :) Got a submission of your own to share? 

I noticed the subforum after posting this, does anyone know how to move it?

also, for my submission, I made a plane with 3 junos on either side of the plane, I'll post a picture in a bit

18 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Does it require a jet engine?
Can I use rockets to boost it? 

yes, it requires a jet engine.

Edited by ImANoob

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, ImANoob said:

Make a supersonic jet using the least amount of science points possible

You may want to add a few more criteria, or some scoring system. It's almost trivial to do with just two Junos and the bare minimum of science points to unlock the Juno.

So I decided to try do this with just a single Juno. Would a cruise speed of mach 1.6 @ 11km be an acceptable entry, for say oh, 68 science points? :)

o0PBnoS.png

ZMUTpQu.png

LIgYx1d.png

The Mk0 LF tank is radially attached to the nose cone with a Mk16 chute in front and the Juno behind. I then offset/rotated the tank straight/centered and forward into the nose cone, and the chute and Juno back, for flight balance reasons. The chute helps it stop on landing since the smallest/least draggy wheels unlocked with this tree don't have any brakes.

The reaction wheel in the pod is strong enough to provide pitch/roll/yaw all by itself in this design, but I wanted to at least make it somewhat resemble an actual plane. The elevons add 'proper' pitch and yaw authority, while the pod takes care of roll.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, ImANoob said:

how

I already mentioned how in the previous message, but a few pictures might help.

0 - Place mk1 cockpit with small intake in front, nose cone behind, and AV-T1 winglets in mirror symmetry on the sides. Nothing special about that, so no pic needed.

1 - Place mk0 LF tank radially attached to the top of the nose cone, and rotate it straight/horizontal. Attach mk16 chute to the front, Juno to the back, and wheels/elevons radially to the mk0 tank.

Spoiler

gG8sLX1.png

2 - Offset the Juno back, creating a visual gap to make room for the chute.

Spoiler

JCKj0AN.png

3 - Offset the mk16 chute back into that gap in such a way that all parts touch again, making it visually 'ok' again.

Spoiler

KeRS5Sa.png

4 - Offset the mk0 tank down and forward into the cone, centering it on the CoM. The tank becomes hidden from view, but it's necessary to keep the plane balanced when fuel is used, and visually it even makes sense as a plane (relatively speaking anyway - this is KSP after all).

Spoiler

4JWby9t.png

You can download the LT-Supersonic II from my KerbalX repository if you want to test its capabilities. My apologies for not publishing the craft file before.

So, is no one else submitting any entries for this?  We can't go any lower than those 68 science points, but we could still compete on cheapest, lightest, lowest nr of parts, highest top speed or cruise altitude, or any other number of criteria. What do you think, @ImANoob ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.