Show and Tell - New power generation modules for colonies!

StarSlay3r

New power generation modules for colonies! Your nuclear power options will progress from compact fission reactors to giant fusion tokamaks to next-generation Z-pinch fusion reactors. Yes, the radiator on the fission reactor opens and closes like an umbrella.

Credit to Jonathan Cooper and Matt Reynolds for the fusion reactors, and special thanks to our friends Bob Palmer (RoverDude) and Alexander Martin at Squad for building the fission reactor. 

43 minutes ago, NutellaSandwich said:

God, these look amazing,

Can't wait for one to accidentally explode in a colony and destroy it.

What do you expect to happen if one of these reactors fails? A massive explosion and mushroom cloud?

That's not what happens with fission reactors. The reactor will burn with any explosions being pressure vessels rupturing. You won't get a nuclear explosion. A fusion reactor would probably be a similar event. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Anyways, cool! Will there be smaller fusion power plants for spacecraft?

Yes.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

What do you expect to happen if one of these reactors fails? A massive explosion and mushroom cloud?

That's not what happens with fission reactors. The reactor will burn with any explosions being pressure vessels rupturing. You won't get a nuclear explosion. A fusion reactor would probably be a similar event. 

Fusion reactors just shut down when they fail.  Neither fusion nor fission reactor destruction results in an explosion. But there are other things in the game (namely fuels and fuel factories) that REALLY go boom.

1 hour ago, KSPFanatic102 said:

This is beautiful! I love the terrain as well! good lord this is so gorgeous!!!!

While the ground texture is from the game, I believe this is a test scene. The terrain system is still evolving, but I believe we are tracking toward something that looks better than this does.

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

And so beautiful! Will there be any harmful effects to the kerbals from exposure to the reactors, like they won’t be as productive? 

More to come, but yes, ionizing radiation does have effects.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman510 said:

Everyone's talking about the eye candy, but what about the ear candy? Is that new music for the game?

It is. I can't wait for you to hear more of it. Howard Mostrom has created some AMAZING music for this game.

It's almost jarring going from the count-the-polygons-on-two-hands graphics of the first game to the i-can't-tell-there's-even-polygons graphics of this. And is that a tiny Kerbal standing on a ring around the reactor at ~0:50? (Bottom of the screen, tiny white and green thing). If so, then those are absolutely massive.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

I wonder what kind of explosion thaey will make?

A large puff of steam and a shockwave if you're unlucky, or the reactor just turning off if all goes well. 

2 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

It's almost jarring going from the count-the-polygons-on-two-hands graphics of the first game to the i-can't-tell-there's-even-polygons graphics of this. And is that a tiny Kerbal standing on a ring around the reactor at ~0:50? (Bottom of the screen, tiny white and green thing). If so, then those are absolutely massive.

Yeah, you might need to turn up the resolution but there are quite a few Kerbals walking around or hanging out on scene.

17 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to them? 

If you happen to see aerial pictures of a nuke plant, the reactor(s) is usually housed in a small building(s), the rest of the complex is for the support equipment for power generation, cooling, and nuclear fuel storage. It would make sense to see buildings that large if everything needed was contained in one structure.

Edited by shdwlrd

36 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to t

I'd like to know what the colony analogue to the VAB will be like. Is there a certain point that KSP 2 could be played like a city builder?

3 hours ago, KSPStar said:

New power generation modules for colonies! Your nuclear power options will progress from compact fission reactors to giant fusion tokamaks to next-generation Z-pinch fusion reactors. Yes, the radiator on the fission reactor opens and closes like an umbrella.

Credit to Jonathan Cooper and Matt Reynolds for the fusion reactors, and special thanks to our friends Bob Palmer (RoverDude) and Alexander Martin at Squad for building the fission reactor. 

Looks amazing, as always, good job to the KSP team showing that we are going to get one of the best games ever made.

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

Fusion reactors just shut down when they fail.  Neither fusion nor fission reactor destruction results in an explosion. But there are other things in the game (namely fuels and fuel factories) that REALLY go boom.

More to come, but yes, ionizing radiation does have effects.

I'm glad you guys are not going to far onto the realism, but still enough that you have to be safe and consider.

I know you have to hold your details back so that we don't get spoiled, but how severe is damage from Ionizing Radiation. Of course, with this being a rockets game I wouldn't be expecting seeing kerbals with visualized cancer. Would it be a simple *Jedediah dies of Radiation,* or do we see a gradual change in the radiation harming?

Also, thanks to TreeTalk in the youtube comments who found this, there is a kerbal for scale. Quite big

unknown.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.