Show and Tell - New power generation modules for colonies!

StarSlay3r

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to them? 

There are facilities that are extremely power intensive. I bet this group can make some pretty informed guesses as to what that might be.

That's awesome! I wonder if the KSC buildings will be the same "type" of static object as these buldildings. If that's the case, maybe KSC upgrades will be handled through the same system you would use for colony building, and there would be a cetrain amount of customizability (ex: placing multiple runways or launchpads).

36 minutes ago, prestja said:

I'd like to know what the colony analogue to the VAB will be like. Is there a certain point that KSP 2 could be played like a city builder?

The ground colony VAB is already out there -- it's even in the last shot of the announcement trailer. It's that thing that the final rocket falls off of. Basically a big box with a landing pad on its roof.

2 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

There are facilities that are extremely power intensive. I bet this group can make some pretty informed guesses as to what that might be.

Hmmm.

-He3 production.

-Uranium enrichment/reprocessing

-Antimatter production

Wonder what else.

4 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

For these huge power generating devices, are we going to need to build up huge banks of radiators or pumping stations to lakes or oceans? Gotta have a cold reservoir somehow, right?

12 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Nate, I've been interested in the upcoming KSP2 since it's announcement, but these last little teasers have made me a believer!  I'm ready for it whenever you guys are :D

17 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Ooh, I hope one of them is alumin(i)um smelting!

Edited by HebaruSan

3 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Terraforming?

:wink:

Maybe antimatter and other exotic fuels production. It is a method of energy storage and not an energy source, after all. It's not like uranium where it's just there already and you just have to dig it up. Metallic hydrogen is like that, too. I could imagine entire giant banks of Tokamaks hooked up to handwavium machines that produce just grams of metallic H or micrograms of antihydrogen every month or something.

Edited by Wubslin

28 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

The ground colony VAB is already out there -- it's even in the last shot of the announcement trailer. It's that thing that the final rocket falls off of. Basically a big box with a landing pad on its roof.

I'm sorry I didn't get my thoughts out correctly - what I'm referring to is not the VAB placed on the ground but the equivalent to the VAB that allows the player to place new surface modules. BAE (Base Assembly Editor) maybe?

1 minute ago, prestja said:

I'm sorry I didn't get my thoughts out correctly - what I'm referring to is not the VAB placed on the ground but the equivalent to the VAB that allows the player to place new surface modules. BAE (Base Assembly Editor) maybe?

Ah! Yes, the BAE is not a structure. You can almost think of it as a virtual blueprinting interface, where you build and modify your colony and then the actual "building" action takes place when you hit the Build button at the end.  Does that answer your question?

1 minute ago, Nate Simpson said:

Ah! Yes, the BAE is not a structure. You can almost think of it as a virtual blueprinting interface, where you build and modify your colony and then the actual "building" action takes place when you hit the Build button at the end.  Does that answer your question?

Excellent explanation, thank you very much. I can't wait to see what the interface looks like!

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to them? 

Would it be weird but play KSP2 as KSP? Like not building so many colonies but more just like typical ksp stuff.

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Would it be weird but play KSP2 as KSP? Like not building so many colonies but more just like typical ksp stuff.

I would expect that most KSP2 games start out pretty much like KSP. Whether you want to continue to colonisation and interstellar would be up to you.

I spotted at least two Kerbals in there- one in a red suit waddling up to the reactors from the bottom of the screen at 0:46 and a second standing on the taller reactor’s base who starts waving to the camera at about 0:50. Wow, those things are HUGE! Except the little fusion reactor with the umbrella on top, which is merely BIG.

And new music too!

23 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Hmm... maybe for water extractors, food facilities, cooling/heating, oxygen generators, fuel facilities and several experiments? 

40 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I wonder how any failure modes that are present affect gameplay, though? Generally speaking KSP parts don't fail, so if these behave the same way, the only incidents that could happen are running out of fuel (or some other resource they need, coolant maybe?) or something physically disrupting them, like a spacecraft crashing into them for example. 

Yeah, stuff we're all talking about is wayyy outside the scope of KSP gameplay. It kind of feels like Nasaspaceflight forum levels of getting into the weeds on all these details, lol.

From a practical standpoint KSP has never been simulationist, and that's a good thing to me. Chances are you just have to feed these big power supplies "fusionfuel (8.00/min)" or whatever and then hook it up to a radiator bank that can dissipate the required amount of heat. If the radiator pumps run out of electric charge or whatever, the reactor shuts down or changes to the "busted" state. That's about as involved I think it needs to be if you consider this game's really about flying space ships.

1 minute ago, Wubslin said:

Yeah, stuff we're all talking about is wayyy outside the scope of KSP gameplay. It kind of feels like Nasaspaceflight forum levels of getting into the weeds on all these details, lol.

From a practical standpoint KSP has never been simulationist, and that's a good thing to me. Chances are you just have to feed these big power supplies "fusionfuel (8.00/min)" or whatever and then hook it up to a radiator bank that can dissipate the required amount of heat. If the radiator pumps run out of electric charge or whatever, the reactor shuts down or changes to the "busted" state. That's about as involved I think it needs to be if you consider this game's really about flying space ships.

I'm a fan of the "leave it to the mods" philosophy. The purpose of the base game, in my mind, is to:

• set a minimum scope of play
  • create a solid foundation to mod off of
  • provide a general direction for how the game is intended to be played

11 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Also, its a bit of a shame that terraforming wont be part of KSP 2 as transforming the characteristics of a whole planet would be pretty awesome, but I can see numerous reasons why it is outside the scope of the game

I think about this all the time. It's so easy to imagine the craziest things and wish they could be implemented. But in the end, all the amazing people at Intercept are only human and what they're already promising is completely amazing. I mean, wow! Interstellar spaceflight and multiplayer? I'd go crazy over a game that delivers a tenth of what KSP 2 is supposed to have.

The community is as vibrant and active as ever, Squad is pushing out big updates to the original game all the time, and now there's a friggin' sequel in the works with superfans like us at the helm? It's good to be a fan of Kerbal Space Program right now.

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

--its a bit of a shame that terraforming wont be part of KSP 2--

Terraforming won't be a big part of reality any time soon either, much to my personal dissatisfaction. Some time ago I was curious how much atmosphere needs to be added to Mars to merely get the pressure suitable for humans, since we can't absorb oxygen or otherwise stay healthy without substantial pressure and living in thick steel cans there would feel rather uncomfortable... I figured being able to strut around with just an oxygen tank would be seriously out of this world level fun so disregarding the specific composition of the gas I set out to find the total mass needed to get the pressure up to roughly a high altitude but still somewhat habitable environment on earth, we know that sea level pressure is 1.2kg of gas sitting on top of every single cm2... so given the low gravity of Mars we need to stack more like about 2kg on top of every cm2, then multiply this by the surface area and you get......

Wanna guess before I tell you?

Here's your chance! Go!

So after playing with the numbers a while I'm pretty sure I got the right ones, what I ended up with was that we'd need to ship a million tons... per second... for a hundred years. Even puny planets like Mars are actually really big, when seen from certain perspectives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.