Jump to content

Show and Tell - New power generation modules for colonies!


Recommended Posts

KSP2 reactors will not explode. Reactor explosions are not the subject of this thread. More content has been removed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to them? 

My guess: Producing stuff like metalic hydrogen not to talk about antimatter. 
Yes also powering colonies however this looks like gigawatt level reactors. 

Now the small one with the radiator looks more like something to power an colony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I like the size of these reactors, I'd rather it be a small reactor but lots of interchangeable parts to customize them, like radiators and such. The idea of having huge pre-built machines isn't my favorite. Like, for example, we have the fuel generators in ksp but we need to design where the radiators and drills go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

My guess: Producing stuff like metalic hydrogen not to talk about antimatter. 
Yes also powering colonies however this looks like gigawatt level reactors. 

Now the small one with the radiator looks more like something to power an colony. 

Ooh, something else I'm not sure I've seen anyone consider is fabrication facilities for rocket hardware itself. It would obviously suck down a lot of power to take regolith and be able to turn it into KS-25s. The same goes for colony modules. Maybe we'll need to power huge metal foundries or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, linecrafter said:

Is the terrain just a test scene or an actual body?

Nate said earlier ITT that it’s a test scene, but he thinks the real deal will look even better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, KSPStar said:

New power generation modules for colonies! Your nuclear power options will progress from compact fission reactors to giant fusion tokamaks to next-generation Z-pinch fusion reactors. Yes, the radiator on the fission reactor opens and closes like an umbrella.

Credit to Jonathan Cooper and Matt Reynolds for the fusion reactors, and special thanks to our friends Bob Palmer (RoverDude) and Alexander Martin at Squad for building the fission reactor. 

Wow! that is beautiful, I never thought our old plain KSP would have a brother/sister so beutiful!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My First Thought on seeing this OOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG What The Hell They Look Amazing

Also watched the video a second time OMG LOOK AT THE TERRAIN 

Found out the terrain was not what would be in game but the in game terrain would be Better "Sobs Into Pillow Crying At Beauty"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Ah! Yes, the BAE is not a structure. You can almost think of it as a virtual blueprinting interface, where you build and modify your colony and then the actual "building" action takes place when you hit the Build button at the end.  Does that answer your question?

Thank goodness. I'm glad it's not the clunky method required in KSP1.

Will there be a sort of "logistics center" which needs to be upgraded to construct larger numbers of buildings and supply everything? I think that would make sense from a gameplay standpoint.

What kind of performance impact will these colony structures have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Nate Simpson said:

It is. I can't wait for you to hear more of it. Howard Mostrom has created some AMAZING music for this game.

The music reminded me of this (so much i had to check if its the same composer):

One of the most inspiring videos of all time, its like a real-life Trailer for KSP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Is this the first time Roverdude has been acknowledged as part of the project even thou his finger prints are all over it since the first video?

I think he actually did an interview about this recently, so I don't believe this is a huge scoop. But yes, he's splitting his time between KSP and KSP2 these days. I don't know if you've met him -- he's just about the most fun human I've ever met!

15 hours ago, DanDucky said:

Not sure I like the size of these reactors, I'd rather it be a small reactor but lots of interchangeable parts to customize them, like radiators and such. The idea of having huge pre-built machines isn't my favorite. Like, for example, we have the fuel generators in ksp but we need to design where the radiators and drills go. 

We're sensitive to this -- you still need to place radiators and drills for these (and in the case of radiators, you'll need quite a few). For the reactors, if we broke them down into smaller chunks, they would no longer be recognizable as reactors. We'd have to do something like separate cryostats and steam turbines or something? I'd actually love to see a mod that broke these things down to such a granular level -- but I suspect it's a little too fiddly considering how many other things you'll be keeping track of when you develop a colony...

1 hour ago, Elthy said:

The music reminded me of this (so much i had to check if its the same composer):

One of the most inspiring videos of all time, its like a real-life Trailer for KSP.

We are massive fans of the Wanderers video -- I gave it a shout-out on our Kerbal trailer animatic video here: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

We are massive fans of the Wanderers video -- I gave it a shout-out on our Kerbal trailer animatic video here: 

I somehow missed that video, maybe because i confused the title and the thumbnail with the finished trailer.

If someone doesnt know yet: Erik Wernquist made more similary awesome videos about space, sponsored by NASA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hbp8QYUQpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGAQCq9BMU

Also im 99% sure thats the same guy who invented the "Crazy Frog" almost 20 years ago, i doubt there are other 3D artists with the same name around...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Vanamonde said:

What will draw so much power that we'll need generators this big to run it? How much emphasis is KSP2 putting on settling the planets as opposed to flying to them? 

The MVAB/MSPH maybe. Large Convertotrons, some CO2 recyclers......

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Elthy said:

I somehow missed that video, maybe because i confused the title and the thumbnail with the finished trailer.

If someone doesnt know yet: Erik Wernquist made more similary awesome videos about space, sponsored by NASA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hbp8QYUQpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGAQCq9BMU

Also im 99% sure thats the same guy who invented the "Crazy Frog" almost 20 years ago, i doubt there are other 3D artists with the same name around...

Those were fantastic.  Thanks for sharing!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

[snip]

I am personally more interested in seeing these things in action. They look nice and all but I am still itching for some more actual gameplay/gameplay mechanics. 

Edited by Vanamonde
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Nate Simpson said:

But there are other things in the game (namely fuels and fuel factories) that REALLY go boom.

Definitely going to use these reactors to power as many Orion drive fuel factories as possible :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barel said:

Definitely going to use these reactors to power as many Orion drive fuel factories as possible :D

It's really the best form of propulsion, isn't it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So cool! I can't wait until KSP2 comes out and the fact that the terrain will look cooler than that just blows my mind!

Spoiler

Also out of professional interest (I'm a game dev too) how do you do the terrain? Is it just heightmaps?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh forgot to mention, I am in love with the music that this video is set to. It's like a slower, ambient remix of some of the classic "ship in space" KSP 1 music. Makes me super excited for all the new music we might get with this game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wubslin said:

Oh forgot to mention, I am in love with the music that this video is set to. It's like a slower, ambient remix of some of the classic "ship in space" KSP 1 music. Makes me super excited for all the new music we might get with this game.

I'm excited to see Howard's music getting so much love here. I'm forwarding these comments to him as they pop up. 

We've already picked out the music that'll be on the next show and tell video! It's really pretty, too. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...