Oretime: air endurance heavy lift!

Stay in the air as long as possible with as much ore as possible. The catch is that you are allowed only 1000 electric charge and no fuel to do this. No replenishing this electric charge. Craft must be Kerballed. Do not use a non-electric propulsion source.

Your score will simply be the airtime in seconds multiplied by the ore carried. Take a screenshot just after takeoff and another just before landing.

Oh, and the Kerbal must survive the landing. Any ore lost during the landing does not count towards the score. Other craft damage isn't considered important.

Edited by Pds314

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Do you have to take off from the KSC, or can you, say, get a lift to the nearby mountain and take off from there?

I was thinking KSC.

Edited by Pds314

8 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

I was waiting for a challenge to get me interested in KSP again. I think you might have done it!

Weren't you working on something for the liquid fuel only challenge?

Anyway, I feel like the best way to do this is by using Breaking Ground props with a sailplane design

I believe there was a big change in electrical usage for BG rotors in some version, but I can't find a patch note for it. I think the current model would reward the largest diameter, lowest RPM prop.

The addition of Kerbal mass in 1.11 may affect the outcome of the challenge.

8 hours ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

For the purposes of landing, do water landings count or must it be on land?

Either is ok. I originally considered giving a bonus for runway landings but decided against.

6 minutes ago, camacju said:

Is aero trickery (node occlusion, etc) allowed? If so, then I could make a pretty good attempt at this...

I didn't say it wasn't, so as long as you're not making perpetual motion devices I think it's ok. The one thing I will veto is if you actually reach an infinite or arbitrarily long flight time such as entering an orbit, getting arbitrarilly close to orbit, or escaping Kerbing's SOI.

I would submit an entry of my own right now but most of my KSP stuff was recently wiped out on my main machine by a hard drive failure and I would either have to use my newer "more powerful" computer which would be a stuttery mess thanks to bidirectional CPU throttling (4.7 GHz CPU doesn't matter if it the instant the GPU does anything it drops to 470 MHz), or find 8 GB on an SSD that's currently a gig from full. :/

Edited by Pds314

22 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Okay, My first effort carries 4500 ore to the island airfield with a wheels up time of 8:05. I believe that is 2,182,500 points. Starting electric and ore can be seen in the VAB at the bottom of the screen. 

I like the boost-glide approach here! 4500 ore is a lot. That must've been a tricky landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.