The Tiny Challenge

CFYL

Intro

We've seen lots and lots of big things, some of you might have built enormous starships and sailed gigantic fleets. But how far can we go with tiny rockets? This tiny challenge is aiming to go on epic explorations with only the tiniest parts we have. Launch from Kerbin, and aim for space!

Rules

1. Only use tiny parts

Spoiler

That's it, everything 0.625m or smaller in diameter, parts whose radial sizes are called "tiny" or "surface mount". 

2. Don't cheat

Spoiler

At launch, the diameter of the entire spacecraft should not exceed 0.625m.

We'll see this in the "Engineer's report" in the VAB (or SPH if you can), where there are data representing "length" and "width". Both should be no more than 0.6m, so if any of the values indicate 0.7 or more, you have violated the rules.

You can't add parts from the outside to your spacecraft.

Which means, you can't dock to another spacecraft, unless you separate this challenge spacecraft itself and dock them back together. (Apollo style) But there are 2 exceptions:

1. You can grab a comet or an asteroid, since ISRU can't be on the ship due to radius restrictions. 

2. You can use the engineering mode (If you are in 1.11 and manage to get a Kerbal onboard, that is.)

As for cheat menus & Kraken drives, you know you can't:)

3. Stock challenge

Spoiler

There is a great mod called Lucicole (which actually inspired me to think of this challenge), but please don't use any parts from any mod. (Aesthetics mods are accepted as always.)

4. To be a challenge

Spoiler

Don't use the ion thruster, which can take you anywhere with some Xenon and electric charge, in this case.

5. Enjoy yourself!

Spoiler

1. If you can go to another body, your points will be added according to the DealtV needed to go there from Kerbin.

For Kerbin, it's easy to see.

For Mun and Mimus, Points are calculated from LKO.

For other planets, points are calculated from Kerbin escape.

For other moons, points are calculated from their mother planet's escape orbit.

If you can return, multiply the points by 1.2. (Although interplanetary transfers may vary, we don't care about that.)

(Points= DV/100. Map link here)

e.g. I went to high Duna orbit, Ike surface, Jool flyby and back to Kerbin. (Not really)

My point= 1.2*[Kerbin(3400+950)+Duna(130+250)+Ike(30+180+390)+Jool(980)]/100 = 75.72

2. If you can bring n Kerbals on board (without violating rules), you get 10*n points. (You don't have to land them home)

3. If you can dock to an asteroid/comet/drestroid, you get 10 points.

4. If you can bring some asteroid/comet/dresteroid back to Kerbin orbit, you get a lot of points.

If the asteroid/comet has a mass of M(in tons), then your poin is 10*M. If you get an asteroid from another planet's SOI or an interplanetary comet back to Kerbin... Tell me when you do that!

KerbinDeltaVMap.png

Some explanation

Spoiler

It seems that a 0.625m spacecraft can go anywhere, even without an ion thruster. But rockets tend to be shaky if they are too thin and too long:). Your rockets shouldn't break apart!

1. @McFlyever 76.36pts

2. @Oldboy-Kerman 64.2pts

3. @AllenLi 42.6pts

Constructive advice is welcomed!

Edited by AllenLi

After building a rocket myself, I found it hard to go to other bodies but fairly easy to return home from LKO. Originally I thought that the 0.625m heatshield couldn't be used, for its radius reads 0.7m, so returning shall be hard. However, Returning was really easy with some careful planning, while even the Mun is a real challenge for me. I'll sumbit my own entry some time later (uploading images), and I'll change the point-giving rules ASAP.

5 hours ago, AllenLi said:

If you can return, double the points. (Although interplanetary transfers may vary, we don't care about that.)

I'll change this into times 1.2. 

I tried doing this a long time ago and ran into parts count problems quickly. I was at 1200 fast to get to eves surface and back. It does give insight into the design of the parts though. They were not made for it. It is fun to do though. I never got to eve btw(legitimately). I don't know the deltav reqs for atmospheres well enough. I was basically balancing dropping mini fuel stages from a static set of engines. And reversing the ship back and forth for different parts. At one part dropping from the front. and mid way trying to use xenon. Make a grid of engined with the most pars you will need. I used those hexagon parts to mount them. Then figure out the best combo of destagers and fuel tanks to balance parts count for initial launch and various stages for sanity. I made big hexagon of hexagons and then just stuck the stages together like reversible pancakes. I had some fun designs with it in regards to how to smush them together. I'll assume different density of tanks to destaging parts is better for different situation. Like kerbin vs eves atmosphere.

Edited by Arugela

Here it comes: my own submission.

1. Flies to a 80-km LKO and then returns.  See Pics here:

Spoiler

In the VAByNnkVJ.pngGoing for orbit...yNnib4.pngLands back safeyNnnxK.png

2. It goes to the Mun in an orbit that would have sent it back home. However, the probe didn't pass the test of heat and exploded just 15km away from home. See pics here:

Spoiler

Just arrived in orbityNmHKS.pngNear the MunyNmz80.pngSee the same old eclipseyNnpvT.pngOrbit too steep...But we have no fuel now...yNnCKU.pngCatastrophic Failure!yNnPrF.png

So I would say that I get (3400+860)/100=42.6 pts for the moon shot. Also got: KerbalX link for verification.

52 minutes ago, Arugela said:

trying to use xenon

So that's what makes it not "legitimate". :wink:

52 minutes ago, Arugela said:

different density of tanks to destaging parts is better for different situation.

Yes, usually we just run for DV, but here TWR matters a lot. Those parts are light and weak, making it hard for the 1st stage to lift off, where TWR really matters. Gravity and drag combined pulled my craft down to just 290m/s after burning my 1st stage with 1.3 TWR and 1300m/s of DV on the pad.

Even in space, I can't complete a 835m/s maneuver with 914m/s of DV left. The TWR was about 0.6 on average during the whole burn, but it just won't work. It might be possible to complete long maneuvers with relatively low TWR by separating a single, long burn into several, small burns. 

P.S. I doubt if it is possible to make a 0.625m SSTO rocket? These oscar tanks really shake a lot.

Edited by AllenLi

I thought I give it a go not that experienced player but this was a fun challenge.

Flight plan:
- Orbit around Kerbin
- Fly-by the mun
- Orbit around minmus
- come back and land safely.

Pix or it didn't happen right.
https://imgur.com/a/mDzGSGq

The ship on kerbalx 
https://kerbalx.com/BlorbsAdvancedDevelopment/Tiny-Challenge-02

A shot on the return from Minmus, managed to get both Minmus and Kerbin in the shot.

9TQ36QI.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.