[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

21 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I'm running into a serious issue with Kopernicus and I've got no idea how to fix it. Things were working fine until last night, running the most recent stable version of Kopernicus on KSP 1.11.1. Then after an 8 hour session the game crashed... hard... I got some blank error messages with progress bars that did nothing except show that they were from Unity and one notification that there had been an overflow of some type before finally forcing me to alt-f4 / end processes to get rid of the messages. Anyway, ever since then, whenever I try to load a save from within the game, this is what I'm presented with:

Reveal hidden contents

fztSQ4k.png

Reveal hidden contents

wi0vVwz.png

The first image where KSC is underground is what always happens on the first reload, the second is usually what happens if I try to reload a second time, though sometimes the terrain is so low that you can see water below the floating space center.

Anyway, these are from a bare bones install with just Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, and Module Manager and KSP installed. I've tried reinstalling all of them, including KSP more than once, always with the same result. Additionally, I get the same results if I try to roll back Kopernicus and MFI to the bleeding edge version I'd been using before the stable release. That all said, whats more interesting / frustrating about this is that it doesn't seem to be restricted to my main KSP install, but instead it affects all KSP installs on my system, even a completely fresh install made after all of this started with freshly downloaded KSP and Kopernicus archives. And that's where I'm fresh out of ideas on how to fix this... I'm not familiar with anything other than logs that KSP stores outside of its home directory and I don't know of anything at all that Kopernicus might store elsewhere that could have become corrupted, so I'm really hoping someone who knows more about the way Kopernicus / KSP works can help me sort out what might be going wrong here because its preventing me from playing my main save as I'm both afraid it could further corrupt if I try to press forward and the mission I was about to launch was a rover to drive around KSC...

Logs

Kopernicus Generated Logs

EDIT: Just to be clear, I only get these results when Kopernicus is installed

I'd try checking your install for corruption from the hard crash.  Kopernicus can't move the space center unless told to do so by a planet pack (the loading undegroundbug notwithstanding), so something else happened.  If after you confirm your install is fresh, you are still getting this, please send your KSP.log file from your install directory for me to analyze.

4 hours ago, ImperfectMrDogeIV said:

Im really dumb it said install 1.8.1-1 version and i had release 28.

Nope, not dumb...  it should work with the latest release too!  Can I get a KSP.log to see why it doesn't?  It is found in your install directory.  The fact the author is recomending an old version should be something we can fix so they don't have to..  I'd like to try so you can get the other bugfix and performance goodies.

We do have a new release though, guys.  Fixes a small bug with land scatters...  in short given the right conditions, they'd stop spawning for some people.  Notes below, and in OP:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this

New in this latest version (release-29)

1.) This release corrects a race condition that prevented land scatterers from spawning under some circumstances, due to a misbehaving distance culler.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

I'd try checking your install for corruption from the hard crash.  Kopernicus can't move the space center unless told to do so by a planet pack (the loading undegroundbug notwithstanding), so something else happened.  If after you confirm your install is fresh, you are still getting this, please send your KSP.log file from your install directory for me to analyze.

Nope, not dumb...  it should work with the latest release too!  Can I get a KSP.log to see why it doesn't?  It is found in your install directory.  The fact the author is recomending an old version should be something we can fix so they don't have to..  I'd like to try so you can get the other bugfix and performance goodies.

We do have a new release though, guys.  Fixes a small bug with land scatters...  in short given the right conditions, they'd stop spawning for some people.  Notes below, and in OP:

New in this latest version (release-29)

1.) This release corrects a race condition that prevented land scatterers from spawning under some circumstances, due to a misbehaving distance culler.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

The log files I'd linked yesterday were from a completely fresh install of KSP (i.e. redownloaded both KSP and Kopernicus and installed into a separate folder from my main install) where I was getting the depicted behavior. I've just downloaded release 29 and tried again, with the same results. Here are the Kopernicus generated logs from this:

Logs

EDIT: This is the line that keeps popping out at me in the logs as appearing to be the issue:

[ERR 17:45:31.552] [SurfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

It seems to occur every time the issue crops up. Also, the problem doesn't seem to be that KSC is moving, but that the terrain is moving up and down with each load around KSC. When KSC is floating, sometimes the land has moved below water level so KSC is over water, and when KSC is underground, you can see the shoreline looks more like cliffs than a beach.

Edited by SpacedInvader

7 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

The log files I'd linked yesterday were from a completely fresh install of KSP (i.e. redownloaded both KSP and Kopernicus and installed into a separate folder from my main install) where I was getting the depicted behavior. I've just downloaded release 29 and tried again, with the same results. Here are the Kopernicus generated logs from this:

Logs

EDIT: This is the line that keeps popping out at me in the logs as appearing to be the issue:

[ERR 17:45:31.552] [SurfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

It seems to occur every time the issue crops up. Also, the problem doesn't seem to be that KSC is moving, but that the terrain is moving up and down with each load around KSC. When KSC is floating, sometimes the land has moved below water level so KSC is over water, and when KSC is underground, you can see the shoreline looks more like cliffs than a beach.

Interesting.  As a temporary work around until I sort out what's going on, does quitting and reentering the game fix anything?

It could be a corrupted save too.  Are you using the same save each time?  What happens with a new game?

PS:  The SurfaceObject line is part of the distance culler for land scatters, I kind of doubt it is related.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

Interesting.  As a temporary work around until I sort out what's going on, does quitting and reentering the game fix anything?

It could be a corrupted save too.  Are you using the same save each time?  What happens with a new game?

PS:  The SurfaceObject line is part of the distance culler for land scatters, I kind of doubt it is related.

Nope, quitting and reloading doesn't do anything and I'm using a fresh test save each time. The one thing that appears to help is entering the vab and returning, but then if I attempt to reload a save after that, KSC will be underground again.

7 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Nope, quitting and reloading doesn't do anything and I'm using a fresh test save each time. The one thing that appears to help is entering the vab and returning, but then if I attempt to reload a save after that, KSC will be underground again.

I'm at a loss.  No one else has reported this.  I assume you've tried deleting your settings.cfg?

I'm looking over your log files now but that's quite the weird issue.  Not to make you feel bad, I want to help.  Hope we can work this out.

Edited by R-T-B

1 minute ago, R-T-B said:

I'm at a loss.  No one else has reported this.  I assume you've tried deleting your settings.cfg?

I'm looking over your log files now but that's quite the weird issue.  Not to make you feel bad, I want to help.

Hadn't tried deleting the settings.cfg, but doing so didn't change anything just now sadly. This really feels like unity broke somehow in the crash and some part of it that resides outside of the KSP directory is corrupted, but I can't find any information about what it could be. As I said, this is something that affects all three KSP installs I've got right now and only one of them crashed.

6 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Hadn't tried deleting the settings.cfg, but doing so didn't change anything just now sadly. This really feels like unity broke somehow in the crash and some part of it that resides outside of the KSP directory is corrupted, but I can't find any information about what it could be. As I said, this is something that affects all three KSP installs I've got right now and only one of them crashed.

The only thing I am aware of that resides outside the install is the Unity Telemetry data, which you can of course opt out of.

Regardless, I doubt it'll do anything, but if you open a explorer window and type %APPDATA% you'll get to a folder called AppData\Roaming, go one folder back to AppData, and then enter the folder tree as follows .  AppData\LocalLow\Squad.  You can delete everything in there.  As I said, that's the only thing outside the install I know of.  This is really odd.

You could always try updating your GPUs drivers, I think that's a better angle to look at.

Alternatively, you could also look at the "windows is corrupt" angle (since everything depends on windows).

To check your windows install for corruption and hopefully repair it, you can run the following command at an admin command prompt:

sfc /scannow

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

The only thing I am aware of that resides outside the install is the Unity Telemetry data, which you can of course opt out of.

Regardless, I doubt it'll do anything, but if you open a explorer window and type %APPDATA% you'll get to a folder called AppData\Roaming, go one folder back to AppData, and then enter the folder tree as follows .  AppData\LocalLow\Squad.  You can delete everything in there.  As I said, that's the only thing outside the install I know of.  This is really odd.

I actually already tried that and you're correct, it didn't do anything to help the issue

1 minute ago, SpacedInvader said:

I actually already tried that and you're correct, it didn't do anything to help the issue

Well you're on the right track.  See my edits about windows corruption, I feel like your hard crash could've done some minor corruption there and that command may help you.

Certainly a weird way to manifest itself, but anything is possible, you know?  I don't know what else to think at this point.

Also, GPU drivers.  Check if an update helps.

Edited by R-T-B

2 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Well you're on the right track.  See my edits about windows corruption, I feel like your hard crash could've done some minor corruption there and that command may help you.

Certainly a weird way to manifest itself, but anything is possible, you know?  I don't know what else to think at this point.

Reinstalling GPU drivers now and then I'll run the windows check

16 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

No joy on either. Windows didn't detect any errors and GPU driver reinstall didn't fix the issue

For the KSRSS people, I fixed some things so they can load their pack on the latest Kopernicus.  Yes, it even loads on 1.11.1.  Don't bug the authors with reports of bugs on that though (bug me. :) )

As usual of my updates, updating is not really needed unless you actually experience a problem described.

New in this latest version (release-30)

1.) A bug in the diffuse material handler that was preventing some packs using Diffused-Wrapped shaders from loading has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

jl9lLD5.jpg

11 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

No joy on either. Windows didn't detect any errors and GPU driver reinstall didn't fix the issue

Darn.  I really wish I had an idea, but I don't right at this moment.

I'm going to continue to go over your logs, and try to replicate.  I'm not abandoning you, but at the moment I just have nothing further to try. :(

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to chime in anytime.

Edited by R-T-B

7 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Apparently they changed whatever was causing that, as their dev branch loads fine with Release 29, and also fine on one before that called 75. (on 1.10.1)

Well now everything of theirs loads everywhere.

I'd be curious how they worked around it, though.  It shouldn't of had to be worked around at all.

This is why I like bug reports.

Edited by R-T-B

23 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

the second is usually what happens if...

the shadowing in the 2nd picture is really odd. i realize you're having issues but even your issues are having issues - why don't the other ground meshes cast a shadow like the runway does? why does the admin building cast a shadow through the mesh it's sitting on? stuff looks wonky even for being wonky

9 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

the shadowing in the 2nd picture is really odd. i realize you're having issues but even your issues are having issues - why don't the other ground meshes cast a shadow like the runway does? why does the admin building cast a shadow through the mesh it's sitting on? stuff looks wonky even for being wonky

That's why I went with corrupt install, but I guess he's reinstalled?  Dunno where to go from there.

His log also has a lot of references to missing parts.  Unsure what to make of it.

Edited by R-T-B

9 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

That's why I went with corrupt install, but I guess he's reinstalled?  Dunno where to go from there.

His log also has a lot of references to missing parts.  Unsure what to make of it.

Missing parts? Can you highlight the lines you're talking about?

19 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Honestly didn't even notice that :P

Something interesting here that might be relevant, or might not, is that things seem to get worse when I try to reload a save on my main install. On the second load, instead of just floating a little over the surface, the terrain has gone all the way to the surface of the water:

Spoiler

JfqMJeF.png

45 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

For the KSRSS people, I fixed some things so they can load their pack on the latest Kopernicus.  Yes, it even loads on 1.11.1.  Don't bug the authors with reports of bugs on that though (bug me. :) )

Thank you!!!

Trying this on 1.10.1 (I have some quite old part mods in my install and I'm not sure yet how they would work with 1.11 and its mass changes, so going safe for now). Seems to load correctly (including VE pack). "Underground KSC" bug for 2.5x rescale is still present, as is its fix (load TS and go back). KSCSwitcher works fine.

One major bug is massive lag on some scatter-heavy locations (namely CCAFS) due to Kopernicus constantly removing terrain scatters. You can increase the scatter cull distance, but this just "moves" lag from surface to space.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to chime in anytime.

I dont have an idea but I was able to recreate the issue after noticing a minor detail in the logs: @SpaceInvader dont have any DLC installed and after removing them from my game, my KSC got burried under ground or started floating as soon as I reload any savegame.

So these are the exact steps I took:

-fresh install of KSP 1.11.1
-installed kopernicus, MFI und MM through CKAN
-removed the "SquadExpansion" directoy from my install
-removed physics.cfg und settings.cfg (just becasue I dont know if they contain any presets for the DLCs)
-launched the game and started a new career savegame
-created a quicksave at the KSC
-load the quicksave

-> KSC is mostly underground, after another reload it was gone at all and after a third reload it was floating, exactly like in the screenshots of SpaceInvader.

I have absolutely no idea how the DLCs are connected to this issue but maybe you can recreate the bug now and get an idea :)

Missing parts can trigger a lot of spurious errors to unrelated things, especially when something tries to reference what is essentially a nullref. 

As for that pic, it looks like swampland in Louisiana - or New Orleans during Katrina.  Something is not registering properly in the rendering engines, and I guess you're getting weird errors as a result.  Rather odd thats happening, because just 2 days ago I did a fresh install of KSP, with all the DLC.  And I didn't have any issues with just MM, Kopernicus, MFI, the barn mod and OPM installed.  Maybe try installing a planet pack with only its required mods - or just get OPM with its requirements installed and see if that fixes things.  Try using CKAN instead of a manual install, because it does do some consistency checks.

35 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I dont have an idea but I was able to recreate the issue after noticing a minor detail in the logs: @SpaceInvader dont have any DLC installed and after removing them from my game, my KSC got burried under ground or started floating as soon as I reload any savegame.

-removed physics.cfg und settings.cfg (just becasue I dont know if they contain any presets for the DLCs)
-load the quicksave

-> KSC is mostly underground, after another reload it was gone at all and after a third reload it was floating, exactly like in the screenshots of SpaceInvader.

I have absolutely no idea how the DLCs are connected to this issue but maybe you can recreate the bug now and get an idea :)

31 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Missing parts can trigger a lot of spurious errors to unrelated things, especially when something tries to reference what is essentially a nullref. 

As for that pic, it looks like swampland in Louisiana - or New Orleans during Katrina.  Something is not registering properly in the rendering engines, and I guess you're getting weird errors as a result.  Rather odd thats happening, because just 2 days ago I did a fresh install of KSP, with all the DLC.  And I didn't have any issues with just MM, Kopernicus, MFI, the barn mod and OPM installed.  Maybe try installing a planet pack with only its required mods - or just get OPM with its requirements installed and see if that fixes things.  Try using CKAN instead of a manual install, because it does do some consistency checks.

Something to note here is that I do have the Breaking Ground DLC, but I didn't install it into my test installs to keep them as clean as possible. I don't know if this is the source of the issue however as I've had it installed into my main instance of the game the whole time and it still suffers from the issue. That said, I did try installing it into one of my test installs to see if that would at least get rid of the missing part references in the log and it did not. Currently investigating deeper to see what the source of those really is.

EDIT: I've tried using both manual installs and CKAN for the test installs and gotten the same results. I have also installed OPM into the test install to see if that would affect the issue at all and it didn't.

EDIT2: Installing BG into my test instance did not fix the issue. Uninstalling all instances of BG (main install included) through the included uninstaller had no effect as well.

Edited by SpacedInvader

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

-load the quicksave

Darn I just ran upstairs thinking of the DLC angle, to post only to find not only have I been beat to the idea, but it doesn't work. :(

We're still trying to figure it out, @SpacedInvader

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

Darn I just ran upstairs thinking of the DLC angle, to post only to find not only have I been beat to the idea, but it doesn't work. :(

We're still trying to figure it out, @SpacedInvader

I appreciate everyone putting effort into this, really hoping we can get it figured out and it doesn't mean I have to reinstall windows or something drastic like that. For the record, I'd had the idea that maybe there was some registry value that was trying to tell KSP that I had Making History installed as well and since I don't own it, things were going haywire so I cleaned out the registry of KSP entries and am trying a fresh install of KSP + BG to see if that has any effect on the issue.