[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

New in this latest version release-170:

1.) We did some minor optimizations to the biome sampler. We wanted to do more, but some mods that probably won't get updated (Parallax) are dependent on it's methods, so cutting out large chunks of it is not an option. Maybe after communicating with other authors.

2.) The config variable "ScatterLatLongDecimalPrecision" was previous mislabeled "ScatterlatLongDecimalPrecision." Note the improper lowercase L. This has been fixed for consistency. You may need to reset this setting if you had it customized (you probably didn't, it just got added not long ago).

3.) These changes have been previous vetted by my beta testers on the bleeding edge, and are considered stable.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

6.) When you uninstall a mod that had installed a Terrain Detail preset you were using, it may be listed still in the Graphics settings as "New Text." This is by design. If it bothers you, please reinstall the mod that setup that preset, or delete settings.cfg and let it regenerate.

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x. The 1.11.x,1.10.x,1.9.x and 1.8.x releases are deprecated

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? 

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is now on by default. If you really need distant colliders, turn this off, but you'd best have a good reason (I can't think of any).

6.) The particle system was hopelessly broken and has been since sometime past 1.10.x. Few mods used it, so it has been removed completely as of Release-146.

7.) Because we now unpack multipart PQSCity's correctly, you may find some PQSCity structures are in the earth or floating. Report such bugs to your planet pack author as this is an intended change (only cosmetic).

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-171:

1.) A new bool configuration parameter has been added, "UseOnDemandLoader." The default is false. This is the same OnDemand system Kopernicus has always had, but we are handing control over to the user more directly. Mods can still override this in the usual way.

2.) To elaborate on the above, the default has been changed to OnDemand OFF. This uses a bit more ram but is generally much faster and allows for things like DistantObjectEnhancement to work easily. If you are ram constrained you may want to change this, otherwise it is advised to leave this off as it has been known as a source of planetarium stutter.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

6.) When you uninstall a mod that had installed a Terrain Detail preset you were using, it may be listed still in the Graphics settings as "New Text." This is by design. If it bothers you, please reinstall the mod that setup that preset, or delete settings.cfg and let it regenerate.

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x. The 1.11.x,1.10.x,1.9.x and 1.8.x releases are deprecated

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? 

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is now on by default. If you really need distant colliders, turn this off, but you'd best have a good reason (I can't think of any).

6.) The particle system was hopelessly broken and has been since sometime past 1.10.x. Few mods used it, so it has been removed completely as of Release-146.

7.) Because we now unpack multipart PQSCity's correctly, you may find some PQSCity structures are in the earth or floating. Report such bugs to your planet pack author as this is an intended change (only cosmetic).

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-172:

1.) Fix a bug with the new setting that was causing RSS users grief.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-173:

1.) Fix yet another bug with the new setting that was causing RSS users grief.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

• 1 month later...

New in this latest version release-174:

1.) New parameters added related to scaling Kerbal scale bodies automatically to real world densities (such as the stock system).  Please see the config file or GUI for a description of each parameter.  They are designed to be used alongside a rescale mod like Sigma Dimensions. If you don't want to play with a real world density system (most don't) you can just ignore this.

2.) Reorganize the GUI to be more sensibly arranged (boolean/checkbox options up top, always).

3.) In short, most the things added in this release are for pack authors to easily make "real world scale" systems, and the end users don't need to touch them, really.

Known Bugs:

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? ;)

ADDITONAL NOTES ON THE DENSITY CHANGES INTRODUCED THIS RELEASE: I have used these changes in my personal save for some time, so I felt there was no need for testing given I have literally been testing them for months.  I also have a "goody pack" people seeking to play in a realistic density universe may find handy.  I will link them on my personal file server here below, the configs and what they do are pretty self explanatory, but basically they limit kerbal jump, RCS, and engine strength for a 5x rescaled "density-proper" kerbolar system and include a proper star + sigma dimensions rescale config to go with it.  Feel free to customize, and consider the configs open domain.  Also, you may want to set the gee-scaling of your kerbals accordingly.

https://glacialsoftware.net/KerbolarRescaled/

Edited by R-T-B

And then the bugfix... at least it's just misleading docs this time, lol....  Nothing major but worth a hotfix.

New in this latest version release-175:

1.) New parameter documentation in autogenerated Kopernicus_Config.cfg and GUI updated correcting some incorrect info.

Known Bugs:

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? ;)

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, modus said:

Haha I knew it! :D

At least it was just the documentation. ;)

Honestly, there would be another hotfix but I'm waiting to figure out how to make the "auto density calculations" I did work on Joolian templated gas giants best (pretty much every gas giant ever is based off the Jool Template, and it has some problems).

For those who don't know, if you just linearly scale Jool, things end up pretty unrealistic.  It's actually less dense than even Saturn by a good margin (and that's already less dense than liquid water) and ends up with a pretty weak gravitational pull that in things like Principia, result in it losing control of the system rather easily even WITH mitigations like retrobop and co.  Hmmm...

Of course none of that matters at kerbal scale packs, but when you try to go to realistic densities things get weird fast.

For right now i'm just going to warn pack authors who play with this:  Jool scales weird into real world densities, and you may have to manually correct it.

There's a issue where I am tracking this stuff, and it's also what prompted me to add this feature.  See here:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/590

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version Bleeding Edge Prerelease release-176 RC1:

1.) New parameter added to Kopernicus_Config.cfg + GUI, called UseMultiStarLogic, boolean, default false. This fills the old role of the "download for multistar support" cfg bringing it right into the GUI. People who formerly had that cfg installed should check this box to ensure all is well. The cfg itself is no longer required, and deprecated.

2.) The stock "single star" mode of Kopernicus now is allowed to make more assumptions based on there being only one point of light. Potential performance boost from this, but will remain in testing for a few days as an RC.

3.) The autodensity-calculator for stock bodies has been made aware of Jools abnormal composition, and handles it better now (for those who don't know, stock Jool is pretty... not dense. Like less dense than Saturn. This doesn't align well with realism modes like the autodensity setting).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Additional Bleeding Edge Prerelease note:

Prereleases do not get pushed via CKAN (unless you subscribed as shown here), or show in the standard release list.  You must manually download them by clicking the link in their release notes and they are intended for testing.  Please help Kopernicus grow by testing non-vital saves, but also be aware of the risks in doing so!  At the very least, keep save backups!

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version Bleeding Edge Prerelease release-176 RC2:

1.) The ring shader used to just point to the nearest star, now it uses the GetBrighest function to consider the brightest star rather than just the closest one for casting ring shadows.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Additional Bleeding Edge Prerelease note:

Prereleases do not get pushed via CKAN (unless you subscribed as shown here), or show in the standard release list.  You must manually download them by clicking the link in their release notes and they are intended for testing.  Please help Kopernicus grow by testing non-vital saves, but also be aware of the risks in doing so!  At the very least, keep save backups!

New in this latest version release-176:

1.) A small bugfix for the single-star performance improvements (KSC lights weren't turning on at night).

2.) With this one bugfix, and a few days testing, we now consider this experiment stable and are pushing it to CKAN.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-177:

1.) Multistar mode now activates automatically when more than one star is present, no user intervention needed or required. The old option has been removed entirely.

2.) The ringshader light direction was defaulting to singlestar mode regardless of the actual setting status, or amount of stars. This has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-178:

1.) Fix an edge case where single-star mode could generate exception spam on Linux systems (yet to see on Windows for some odd reason).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-179:

1.) More performance and memory optimizations for single star mode.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-180:

1.) A bugfix to prevent multistar mode from being inadvertantly forced, sometimes preventing the prior releases performance gains.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

I don't know if the new Multistar model has this feature or not, but it's posible that the module manager patch that changes ALL the Solar Panels to the KopernicusSolarPanel module, can be disable when there's only one star on the system, like OPM, JNSQ,... Because some of the most used contract packs, doesn't work with KopernicusSolarPanel, only normal ones, deployable or Curved from Near Future Solar. I can simply remove the SolarPanel patch and works again, but something like I mention will make easier using kopernicus with contract packs.

10 hours ago, Overlocker96 said:

I don't know if the new Multistar model has this feature or not, but it's posible that the module manager patch that changes ALL the Solar Panels to the KopernicusSolarPanel module, can be disable when there's only one star on the system, like OPM, JNSQ,... Because some of the most used contract packs, doesn't work with KopernicusSolarPanel, only normal ones, deployable or Curved from Near Future Solar. I can simply remove the SolarPanel patch and works again, but something like I mention will make easier using kopernicus with contract packs.

I can see about adding a note to release to remove that file if encountering issues (doing so is easy and harmless in single star systems), but otherwise architecturally I'm not aware of much I can do.  I feel the benefits of the new autoenabled multistar mode outweigh changing how it works.

On that note, here is another release with more performance improvements:

New in this latest version release-181:

1.) Implemented dictionary caching of GetBrightest function. This uses a tiny bit more ram, but improves performance of the function massively, and as it is one of the most called functions in Kopernicus, this helps close the performance gap with Single Star mode quite a bit.

2.) Fixed a bug where sometimes GetBrightest would erronously return the center Sun even when it was not the Brightest body.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

I'd like to take this brief interlude to request people post any mods they are aware of that don't work well with the new solar refactor, particularly when more than one star is loaded (but any case really).

I can likely make PR's to the affected mods to have them fix whatever is breaking.  There is an established interface to work with our solar module, and with a little communication, I'm sure I could get everyone onboard and working smoothly.

Any mod where you have to "delete the Kopernicus SolarPanels.cfg" to make it work qualifies.

Edited by R-T-B

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, thank you first of all for all the work you do here! I'm having an issue where sunlight is passing through the surface of planets. It seems like a Kopernicus issue because it's happening to my GU and OPM planets, and not the stock ones. Here's some pics:

4KGZGHR.jpg

Here we can see Eeloo is lit by Kerbol despite being in the shadow of Sarnus:

HqkvBkW.jpg

Here it is happening to Blalo of GU:

6rTydZP.jpg

HrXO0iT.png

I'm using KSP 1.12.5.3190 and Kopernicus 1.12.1-181. Here's the link to my player log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7v82x96ezvlevar9rx5sn/Player.log?rlkey=iuittz7u92xq1njtfsv3k67e6&dl=0

Thanks again! Hoping this might be a silly issue with a quick fix :)

1 hour ago, mrlafle said:

Hi there, thank you first of all for all the work you do here! I'm having an issue where sunlight is passing through the surface of planets. It seems like a Kopernicus issue because it's happening to my GU and OPM planets, and not the stock ones. Here's some pics:

4KGZGHR.jpg

Here we can see Eeloo is lit by Kerbol despite being in the shadow of Sarnus:

HqkvBkW.jpg

Here it is happening to Blalo of GU:

6rTydZP.jpg

HrXO0iT.png

I'm using KSP 1.12.5.3190 and Kopernicus 1.12.1-181. Here's the link to my player log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7v82x96ezvlevar9rx5sn/Player.log?rlkey=iuittz7u92xq1njtfsv3k67e6&dl=0

Thanks again! Hoping this might be a silly issue with a quick fix :)

Hello.  I've heard this issue reported from time to time but never been able to narrow down what causes it.  Looking at your report/logfile now, which will probably be helpful...  thanks for that.  Stand by.

EDIT:  Hmm...  Odd.  Like all the other reports, no errors, so not really sure what causes this.  I can offer two workarounds until I figure this out (it doesn't happen to everyone, further confounding me), one workaround only works sometimes, but the other always works it just requires another, somewhat heavy mod.

The first workaround I'd try is simply opening the Kopernicus GUI at the space center and toggling the value of "EnableAtmosphericExtinction" to true if it isn't already.  Then quit your game, reload, and test.

if that doesn't work, installing Scatterer mod is a certain fix, but...  yeah, I understand not everyone wants to run that.  I really want to work this out.  Know I am looking into it.

EDIT EDIT:  Quick after the fact thought:  Maybe it's just those modpacks?  Can anyone install and confirm if they can replicate this sunlight issue?  I'm away from my gaming computer for a day or two, so help appreciated if anyone is able.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Hello.  I've heard this issue reported from time to time but never been able to narrow down what causes it.  Looking at your report/logfile now, which will probably be helpful...  thanks for that.  Stand by.

EDIT:  Hmm...  Odd.  Like all the other reports, no errors, so not really sure what causes this.  I can offer two workarounds until I figure this out (it doesn't happen to everyone, further confounding me), one workaround only works sometimes, but the other always works it just requires another, somewhat heavy mod.

The first workaround I'd try is simply opening the Kopernicus GUI at the space center and toggling the value of "EnableAtmosphericExtinction" to true if it isn't already.  Then quit your game, reload, and test.

if that doesn't work, installing Scatterer mod is a certain fix, but...  yeah, I understand not everyone wants to run that.  I really want to work this out.  Know I am looking into it.

EDIT EDIT:  Quick after the fact thought:  Maybe it's just those modpacks?  Can anyone install and confirm if they can replicate this sunlight issue?  I'm away from my gaming computer for a day or two, so help appreciated if anyone is able.

It usually happens to me for distant bodies in the tracking station. It also happens with scatterer. 

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

It happens with scatterer for me too, I actually had that loaded when I first noticed this. Thanks for the quick reply tho, I will try the first suggestion and report back.

EDIT: EnableAtmosphereExtinction only worked in one specific setup I tried: with Scatterer, EVE, and PoodsOPMVO installed for OPM, and without GU installed. Once I installed GU, the problem came back to the OPM planets, which I find a bit odd.

In the one case it did work, it was only for planets with atmospheres, which makes sense. And moons like Eeloo still weren't eclipsing right, so I wasn't able to fix that in any case. I was doubtful that it would be the modpacks like you suggested, but I am curious what GU was doing to mess with OPM. 

Edited by mrlafle

On 8/19/2023 at 9:16 PM, mrlafle said:

It happens with scatterer for me too, I actually had that loaded when I first noticed this. Thanks for the quick reply tho, I will try the first suggestion and report back.

EDIT: EnableAtmosphereExtinction only worked in one specific setup I tried: with Scatterer, EVE, and PoodsOPMVO installed for OPM, and without GU installed. Once I installed GU, the problem came back to the OPM planets, which I find a bit odd.

In the one case it did work, it was only for planets with atmospheres, which makes sense. And moons like Eeloo still weren't eclipsing right, so I wasn't able to fix that in any case. I was doubtful that it would be the modpacks like you suggested, but I am curious what GU was doing to mess with OPM. 

Thanks for the data (it's the most I've gotten so far!).  I will prioritize this issue for investigation and hopefully, a fix in next release.

Issue to track this:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/596

EDIT:  I think I may have identified an origin cause, working on a fix now.

Edited by R-T-B

This ones for you, @mrlafle :)

New in this latest version release-182:

1.) The "collider fix" as it's called, was causing star occlusion issues on distant bodies in the tracking station. Since this issue was limited to the tracking station only, it was fixed by simply disabling the option when the tracking station scene is loaded (it isn't needed there anyways).

2.) The above does not apply to the inflight "mapview" mode, but that wasn't buggy anyways.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats: