[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

On 2/14/2022 at 2:20 AM, shimmy00 said:

Um, I've just discovered that this this bug is happening when I use a much closer planet pack - Outer Planets Mod (though I do also have GU still installed, but I'm not that far out now, only 123 Gm). The height seems similar in both cases - a few meters above the ground; a noticeable >1 second of falling, landing legs can take it but not other crafts.

That is interesting.  Can you test behavior with/without the watchdog and see if it differs there?

I'm certainly going to need to look into this.  My theory right now is that the watchdog causes a massive rise in coordinate precision when it is present by changing the frame of reference from what the stock game would prefer, which might result in a slight/moderate "bump" to all crafts when the coordinate system is updated.  A work around would be to add a check to only use the watchdog on faraway bodies that really need it.  On those really far out bodies though such a bump will be unavoidable.

Also, please note what build you are using if you can.  I am assuming the latest.

PS:  Been a busy week, sorry for late-ish reply.

Edited by R-T-B

A wild beta appeared!

So, github user unquietwiki has contributed a truly massive commit using some linters (basically computer analysis for performance and formatting improvements) to optimize Kopernicus.  I looked it over and removed anything I viewed as problematic, but overall, it looked pretty solid.  It is now available as a beta and will probably be that way for a few days.  See, due to the of the truly massive nature of the commit, I want some widespread testing before I deploy it.  No more repeats of pushing unprepared stuff!

Feel free to try it here: 

https://glacialsoftware.net/KOP_DEV_BUILDS/

Also, read about it and the work done here, in it's pull request:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/pull/512

CURRENTLY KNOWN BUGS IN RC1:

1.) Orbit lines are always drawn, turning them off is not respected.

Edited by R-T-B

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

That is interesting.  Can you test behavior with/without the watchdog and see if it differs there?

I'm certainly going to need to look into this.  My theory right now is that the watchdog causes a massive rise in coordinate precision when it is present by changing the frame of reference from what the stock game would prefer, which might result in a slight/moderate "bump" to all crafts when the coordinate system is updated.  A work around would be to add a check to only use the watchdog on faraway bodies that really need it.  On those really far out bodies though such a bump will be unavoidable.

Also, please note what build you are using if you can.  I am assuming the latest.

PS:  Been a busy week, sorry for late-ish reply.

Yes. Right now I'm still experimenting. I just upgraded to the newest version - I was actually using an older build - though I had to refresh my KSP install, and will have to build and fly another mission. It seems that in the new version the bug may be fixed; but I will have to finish my testing rounds.

Edited by shimmy00

10 minutes ago, shimmy00 said:

Yes. Right now I'm still experimenting. I just upgraded to the newest version - I was actually using an older build - though I had to refresh my KSP install, and will have to build and fly another mission. It seems that in the new version the bug may be fixed; but I will have to finish my testing rounds.

Yeah, because that bug sounds suspicously like a early build when I was still messing with ways to fix the sinking issue (at one point I was trying to fix it by "bumping" vessel altitude, with bad effect, as you note).  Latest one should not have that issue.

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Feel free to try it here:

Here are my (not great) results. 

Spoiler

This is my space center on Kop 1.12.1.60. I know this is a slightly older build but I've been purposefully frozen on this build for a while:

oxNCHjG.png

Here is the space center on the beta build:

gmqL9R3.png

Here are the logs:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wz1LdB-o3NgSrWF_pZWCZW2eC87czhMI?usp=sharing

The main things involved here are: KSRSS, SigmaDimensions (2.5x), and KK

I don't know if this was introduced in a previous version, or this beta. Unfortunately I can't really offer any feedback on that aspect. 

Did you try reloading? (no this isn't a bad tech support line, I'm serious)

That sinking KSC bug has risen it's head now and again and a reload of the savegame (one time, usually) nearly always fixes it.

Btw, no shame for version freezing if it works for your present game.  This rolling release dev model is really fine for that.

However that being said I no longer have the experimental code that probably made you want to version freeze in the stable codebase, just FYI.  Implementing that "Watchdog" code as a nonoptional thing was a big mistake, admittedly.  You may find the newer versions very suitable for you if you stick to stable, and in the scatter department, there have been massive performance improvements (well over 2x).

I learned my lesson on doing experiments on the stable branch, hence this beta going on right now.

Anyhow, RC2 is now out at the same link with a fix to the orbit line parameter not being obeyed:

https://glacialsoftware.net/KOP_DEV_BUILDS

Edited by R-T-B

Thanks. Actually now I just finished reinstalling and fired up an OPM mission - it worked! No terrain bugs.

However, there appears to be another bug - which I actually saw earlier and thought it was due to how I'd installed things, and that's what prompted me reinstalling so I could test that possibility - and that is that after escaping Kerbin, the Watchdog seemed to actually become visible in the map view, and not only that but also the orbits of the Galaxies Unbound stars became visible too (neither of these things should be visible!). Worse, the Watchdog not only seemed visible but was orbiting Kerbol (what?!).

Hmm. Also note that I have yet to test this newest version at interstellar ranges. But given the terrain bugs were showing up at all ranges, I think it should be okay there too, but I still wanna try out an interstellar shot. (i also noticed before my reinstall, the last interstellar attempt I made had the Watchdog appearing visibly orbiting around one of the GU stars, again with hidden orbits becoming visible too and cluttering the heck out of the map. Both of these things seem perfectly correlated, btw.)

Edited by shimmy00

2 hours ago, shimmy00 said:

However, there appears to be another bug - which I actually saw earlier and thought it was due to how I'd installed things, and that's what prompted me reinstalling so I could test that possibility - and that is that after escaping Kerbin, the Watchdog seemed to actually become visible in the map view, and not only that but also the orbits of the Galaxies Unbound stars became visible too (neither of these things should be visible!). Worse, the Watchdog not only seemed visible but was orbiting Kerbol (what?!).

@shimmy00 Was this with the latest beta?  I heard reports of that but thought I fixed it in RC2.  Maybe not.  The only identifier between beta revisions at the moment is the zip archive name.

It's possible you were playing with RC1, so maybe try redownloading?  Link is the same above.  Should work fine with existing save.

PS:  If it's not with a beta release we definitely need to fix that with a bit more urgency, so do let me know if that's the case.  Also, watchdog orbiting Kerbol is normal behavior when it's not needed for the current scene, but it should be doing so in a way that does not interfere with gameplay and it should always be invisible.

To be clear, betas come (infrequently, as needed) from here:

Release software comes from here:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases

Edited by R-T-B

11 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Did you try reloading?

I had not, no. I did try full scene changes. I installed RC2 this morning and it was fine at startup, so I'll leave this one installed and do more testing with it.

Thanks for continuing to work on this. It's not overreaching to say that kop is a cornerstone of KSP for me, and without it, KSP would lean more to the "game" side than the "simulator" side and would have quickly lost my interest. As a software dev in a verrrrry different field, my appreciation comes with some degree of understanding of maintaining/updating/enhancing someone else's code, which can be a chore at the best of times!

26 minutes ago, shimmy00 said:

The archive file name is "Kopernicus-1.12.1-81.zip".

Looks like stable needs some more KopernicusWatchdog masking then, I'll push a fix for that out along with some other vetted stuff this evening.

To be clear, the issue is purely map-cosmetic (and apparently rather rare), but annoying all the same.  You still can never actually see/visit/crash into the watchdog.

If you need a fix for this right now, RC2 has a work around for that issue that should keep the watchdog silent.  It's actually likely to become Release-82 this evening, barring any bug reports.

Edited by R-T-B

13 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Looks like stable needs some more KopernicusWatchdog masking then, I'll push a fix for that out along with some other vetted stuff this evening.

To be clear, the issue is purely map-cosmetic (and apparently rather rare), but annoying all the same.  You still can never actually see/visit/crash into the watchdog.

If you need a fix for this right now, RC2 has a work around for that issue that should keep the watchdog silent.  It's actually likely to become Release-82 this evening, barring any bug reports.

True. I don't need a fix "right now" in bold though; just wanted to know if this was brought to your attention and/or to bring it if it wasn't. But also to add my observation that whatever bug seemed to be causing the unmasking was also unmasking other orbits that should be invisible too - for mods like GU this both ruins the immersion and makes the map an eyesore - in case that was not already known.

Edited by shimmy00

9 hours ago, shimmy00 said:

True. I don't need a fix "right now" in bold though; just wanted to know if this was brought to your attention and/or to bring it if it wasn't. But also to add my observation that whatever bug seemed to be causing the unmasking was also unmasking other orbits that should be invisible too - for mods like GU this both ruins the immersion and makes the map an eyesore - in case that was not already known.

It's known, but I think we've fixed it in latest stable...  which is out now.  Feel free to give a try.  If the issue is still present I'd very much like to know, of course.

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-82:

1.) A major codebase refactor and cleanup contributed by unquietwiki . See #512

2.) The above changes were first tested in a beta program. Since RC2 of said beta, things have been proven and stable. This should be a solid release.

3.) Furthermore, since Release-81, some instances of the optional KopernicusWatchdog nullreffing or appearing in map view have been dealt with.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

has the refactor beta been merged into here? or should I stay on the RC for testing that?

It has been merged.  Should be fine, no one was reporting bugs since RC2 for over 24 hours (not just you testing).

1 minute ago, caipi said:

I'm currently using the latest Watchdog and Kopernicus Release 82 in KSP 1.12.3. Has anybody ever had this, uhm, "feature" to explore the body/planet "Watchdog"? :D

Hide contents

screenshot2022-02-202l1jwa.png

I assume you are using ContractConfigurator?  Yeah, it'll make missions for it until the maintaining dev patches it to be aware and filter out the watchdog.  I can make a patch for them too if they are unavailable, but I'll need to know that.

The reason for that is past attempts to hide the watchdog actually broke aspects of the game, so I don't mask it anymore from the in game lists.  It will also show up in the transfer planner, I believe.  Unfortunate side-effect of the otherwise pretty good fix.

PS: That mission reward is pretty low considering the watchdog runs from you at the speed of light, and is invisible... lol.

Edited by R-T-B

Yes, I am using Contract Configurator. Thanks for the explanation. I was surprised since I didn't see this in my last playthrough (1.10, I believe, where you were already using the watchdog file - I could be mistaken though). It doesn't really bother me, I just wait for the next contract. Or maybe I'll accept it and use the cheat console to fulfill the contract. I think that might do the trick, too.

Running from me wth the speed of light, eh? Mhm, ok, I have a plan. First, I place a mirror behind it. Then I approach it and force it into the mirror. So that it'll bounce back to me. I just have to figure out all vectors, first. I'm sure it'll work. ;)

Or do I need a trampoline instead of a mirror? :confused:

1 hour ago, caipi said:

Or do I need a trampoline instead of a mirror?

I'm told nothing is impossible with Jeb and enough duct tape.

Anyways, this may interest you and some users, just cooked it up:

https://github.com/R-T-B/ContractConfigurator/releases

Source: https://github.com/R-T-B/ContractConfigurator

License: MIT

Will gladly do other patches like these and collect them in the OP as needed.  I have one for Principia too but the devs there have asked me to keep it private/ PM request only.

You will probably want to wait for the assignment to vanish before switching...

Edited by R-T-B

22 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

A "KopernicusWatchdog" distant flare shows up with Distant Object Enhancement as well. Should I post this in the DOE thread?

I'd ask them if they prefer me to maintain a patch, or them yeah.  You can tell them all they need to do is filter celestial bodies with the name "KopernicusWatchdog" from the FlightGlobals.bodies list.

Example code snippet of a way you can do it even easier by referencing to Kopernicus, though some may not like that and prefer to simply iterate.

List<CelestialBody> filteredBodies = FlightGlobals.Bodies;
            if (filteredBodies.Contains(Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.mockBody))
            {
                filteredBodies.Remove(Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.mockBody);
            }

Edited by R-T-B