[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

38 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this now

New in this latest version (release-50):

1.) Scaled meshes set to invisible no longer feature colliiders. Furthermore, those without the invisible trait now DO feature colliders, allowing proper occulusion on oblate spheres.

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

1.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

2.) Before 1.12.0, the mission creator module in Making History is somehow, amazingly, is bugged in such a way as to make landing at bodies more distant than say, Stock Eeloo, impossible, due to sinking landing gear and lethal-to-kerbalkind terrain. The general work around for this is to a.) stay within the standard solar system distance, or b.) install another mod: either Parallax which does it's own colliders, or alternatively, "MakingLessHistory."

@davide96 does it happen in pure stock (no kopernicus?).  Just trying to isolate it to my mod.  I will look into it.

pure stock no bug, I remember in the previous versions of your mod (I don't remember wich one), this problem wasn't here

On 6/29/2021 at 9:45 PM, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version (release-49):

1.) Official support for 1.12.0 and 1.12.1 added, warning on those removed.

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

1.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

2.) Before 1.12.0, the mission creator module in Making History is somehow, amazingly, is bugged in such a way as to make landing at bodies more distant than say, Stock Eeloo, impossible, due to sinking landing gear and lethal-to-kerbalkind terrain. The general work around for this is to a.) stay within the standard solar system distance, or b.) install another mod: either Parallax which does it's own colliders, or alternatively, "MakingLessHistory."

Cool!

4 hours ago, davide96 said:

pure stock no bug, I remember in the previous versions of your mod (I don't remember wich one), this problem wasn't here

Good to know.  Consider it "internets mostwanted" bug #1 then.  I'm on it.

EDIT:  Was a stock bug just being exposed by Kopernicus, but now it's fixed!  See below!

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B R-T-B released this

New in this latest version (release-51):

1.) A stock shadow bug that was being exposed by Kopernicus is now patched on level load, effectively hiding/fixing it.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

30 minutes ago, DaBakonAder said:

Already?!

Yep.  Things are getting back to a normal pace around here, which means bugs are squished as soon as I see them. :)

You don't need to update every day of course.  The usual philosophy I'd advise is "update when you see a bug."

Edited by R-T-B

15 hours ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version (release-51):

1.) A stock shadow bug that was being exposed by Kopernicus is now patched on level load, effectively hiding/fixing it.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Ehi dude, works perfectly, AMAZING!!!

16 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yep.  Things are get

16 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yep.  Things are getting back to a normal pace around here, which means bugs are squished as soon as I see them. :)

You don't need to update every day of course.  The usual philosophy I'd advise is "update when you see a bug."

ting back to a normal pace around here, which means bugs are squished as soon as I see them. :)

That doesn’t mean I’m not surprised that you posted 2 updates in one day!

New in this latest version (release-52):

1.) Small performance improvements to the scatter-based distance culler.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Hey RTB - random question of the day: do you have any thoughts about KSP's cheat to orbit feature? Specifically, do you think there's anything that happens when you "naturally" cross an SOI boundary in flight that doesn't happen if you magically pop into an SOI using the cheat menu? I'm trying to figure out how reliable testing results are when using cheat to orbit. I have some suspicions about it but would prefer an informed opinion :) Do you trust it?

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hey RTB - random question of the day: do you have any thoughts about KSP's cheat to orbit feature? Specifically, do you think there's anything that happens when you "naturally" cross an SOI boundary in flight that doesn't happen if you magically pop into an SOI using the cheat menu? I'm trying to figure out how reliable testing results are when using cheat to orbit. I have some suspicions about it but would prefer an informed opinion :) Do you trust it?

Cheat to orbit does indeed cause some bugs, but not consistently.  It's always best to test with a real flight but I recognize that is not always possible.

Also, new release, focusing on scatter performance again:

New in this latest version (release-53):

1.) Yet more performance improvements to the scatter-based distance culler.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

1 hour ago, Madrov said:

How do I install release 53 using  CKAN ? I think there is a way to manually add a mod to CKAN from github for personnal use but I can't remember how

Release 53 is in CKAN. You don't need to do anything wacky.

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Release 53 is in CKAN. You don't need to do anything wacky.

The dependencies are probably causing him issues if he's on 1.12 (though they work fine).  But yes.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version (release-54):

1.) New update coming out that will fix the incorrectly elevated scatters. Unfortunately fixing them completely is quite expensive, so I have implemented a setting balancing performance and their complete elimination. It is called "ScatterCleanupDelta" and accepts a positive number (integer). The higher the number, the more your FPS will rise, but also the odds of a scatter spawning incorrectly elevated. The default is 10, and offers very good protections (nearly 100%) against this issue without going to absolutely insane speeds across the terrain, while not hurting performance much. Don't set it to lower than zero though, as it's pointless. If you want it to act like before, 25 is a very performant setting I'd consider the "safe ceiling."

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

It seems you've had a lot of trouble balancing the scatters over the past couple of months, even though you've made massive strides in improving performance. If it's not too much of a bother to ask, why is that such a difficult problem?

Edited by RyanRising

41 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

It seems you've had a lot of trouble balancing the scatters over the past couple of months, even though you've made massive strides in improving performance. If it's not too much of a bother to ask, why is that such a difficult problem?

a.) I did not write the code that manages them and learning it was really a struggle, and b.) the code that manages them is a loopy, poopy mess (the original author would agree) we are only starting to cleanup through said understanding.

Unrelated-to-scatters hotfix release:

New in this latest version (release-55):

1.) Fix for sunflares shining through planets since an accident with release 50. Oops!

2.) From last update but important: New update coming out that will fix the incorrectly elevated scatters. Unfortunately fixing them completely is quite expensive, so I have implemented a setting balancing performance and their complete elimination. It is called "ScatterCleanupDelta" and accepts a positive number (integer). The higher the number, the more your FPS will rise, but also the odds of a scatter spawning incorrectly elevated. The default is 10, and offers very good protections (nearly 100%) against this issue without going to absolutely insane speeds across the terrain, while not hurting performance much. Don't set it to lower than zero though, as it's pointless. If you want it to act like before, 25 is a very performant setting I'd consider the "safe ceiling."

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

I also have OPM, and I do have comets (1.11.2).

I'm scanning the 'old' Kopernicus bleeding edge thread for posts regarding comets, but I'm not sure if this is all still correct...First cometspawning (and asteroidspawning) was handled by Kopernicus but it was (optionally) removed in BE release 75:

"Kopernicus_Config.cfg now accepts parameter UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem with accepted values "true" (default, use Kopernicus Custom Asteroid Generator and scrub Sentinel contracts), "false" (use external mod asteroid generator, or none at all), and "stock" (uses stock game generator, only good for stock system). These values are case insensitive and DO NOT use quotes."

@R-T-Bis this still correct? I guess so because I have asteroids/comets and no sentinel contracts :0.0:

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

i'm playing with OPM, and the game is not spawning comets. I've been told it is because of kopernicus.

is there a problem with kopernicus and comets? can i get the game to spawn comets in some way? I'm ready to edit a savegame file if necessary.

Actually, you were told by Spaceman.Spiff  "I think that’s a Kopernicus thing." and I said that support for comets in Kopernicus previously had issues after the stock comet system was introduced and that you should ask here if that was still the case. Neither of us said conclusively that Kopernicus was the cause. If you have any other mods that spawn comets, that could also be the cause, or there could be an installation issue, or file corruption, or any other number of possible causes.

@modus - I was specifically looking at R-T-B's posts in the bleeding edge thread from August 12-13 regarding the issues and the support added way back in RC15. Further comments in Feb of this year hint that work may have been done by R-T-B (the "legwork" remark), and this is why I recommended that king of nowhere ask here as to the state of comet support.

@R-T-B - Calling your attention in case you have specific insight.

@king of nowhere - the normal mod issues apply, do you have any other mods installed that mess with asteroid / comet support? What's in your GameData directory? Have you tried a separate install with only stock, OPM, and Kopernicus? And if you take a look in Kopernicus_Config.cfg, is "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" set to "true", "false", or "stock"?

11 minutes ago, panarchist said:

@modus - I was specifically looking at R-T-B's posts in the bleeding edge thread from August 12-13 regarding the issues and the support added way back in RC15. Further comments in Feb of this year hint that work may have been done by R-T-B (the "legwork" remark), and this is why I recommended that king of nowhere ask here as to the state of comet support.

But a few posts below that is the one I was quoting from, which I guess is the result from R-T-B's "legwork"?