[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-72:

1.) A fix to the Kopernicus Standard Asteroid customizer has been applied. The bug that it addresses was preventing asteroids from spawning without setting UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock. Stock setting is still needed for comets, of course, but Asteroids should now function and be customizable as intended with no end user changes.

Known Bugs:

1.) The ingame shadows without an external mod like scatterer can be glitchy. It is advisable to use an external mod for best experience at the moment.

2.) Land scatters can appear at incorrect elevations if you don't use Kopernicus option "UsePureStockSCatters," which sadly, only works on pure stock systems.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not benefit from this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi!

I am setting up a new install for a new career and reading up on the last pages of the thread, I have been confused about a few config parameters.

For a stock install with Parallax, OPM and MPE, what would be the recommended settings for UsePureStockScatters and UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem?

Note that with the latest version and no changes to any configurations, I did see a lot of floating trees when I took a stock plane for a ride around the space center to test my installation. I will continue to testing and tweaking tomorrow.

1 hour ago, canisin said:

I did see a lot of floating trees when I took a stock plane for a ride around the space center to test my installation.

This continues to be an issue, unfortunately.  Not as bad as it used to be but certainly there.

It's probably the next thing I'll work on (again).

To answer your earlier question, I'd generate a config file, and then leave everything at stock but set UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock.  True is the default, and will work, but you'll miss out on comets and sentinel contracts for increased asteroid customization you do not need.

Should look like this:

// Kopernicus base configuration.  Provides ability to flag things and set user options.  Generates at defaults for stock system and warnings config.
Kopernicus_config
{
	EnforceShaders = false
	WarnShaders = false
	EnforcedShaderLevel = 2
	UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock
	SolarRefreshRate = 1
}

This is a good config for stock-alike systems.

UsePureStockScatters  is deprecated and presently nonfunctional.  May bring it back if I can't reign in the floaties though, we'll see soon.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

To answer your earlier question, I'd generate a config file, and then leave everything at stock but set UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock.  True is the default, and will work, but you'll miss out on comets and sentinel contracts for increased asteroid customization you do not need.

Should look like this:

// Kopernicus base configuration.  Provides ability to flag things and set user options.  Generates at defaults for stock system and warnings config.
Kopernicus_config
{
	EnforceShaders = false
	WarnShaders = false
	EnforcedShaderLevel = 2
	UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock
	SolarRefreshRate = 1
}

This is a good config for stock-alike systems.

I would like to understand more of what's being suggested here.  My current Kopernicus_config contains

Kopernicus_config
{
	EnforceShaders = false
	WarnShaders = false
	EnforcedShaderLevel = 2
	ScatterCullDistance = 5000
	ScatterCleanupDelta = 4
	UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = True
	SolarRefreshRate = 1
}

Would you recommend changing UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem to Stock in mid-game and what would the effect be if one did?

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Would you recommend changing UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem to Stock in mid-game and what would the effect be if one did?

I just did this and it simply restored asteroid spawning. I didn't experience any problems so far... but backup your savegame. (I believe it also eliminated an occasional NRE on screen while warping at 1000x when the asteroids were attempting to spawn.)

Edited by Krazy1
doubled? weird

17 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I would like to understand more of what's being suggested here.  My current Kopernicus_config contains

Kopernicus_config
{
	EnforceShaders = false
	WarnShaders = false
	EnforcedShaderLevel = 2
	ScatterCullDistance = 5000
	ScatterCleanupDelta = 4
	SolarRefreshRate = 1
}

Yes.  Changing that to stock would be best.  The stock generator is by far more reliable, has comets, and the only limitation is the system must be stock-based (ie has Kerbin and Dres) for it to work (OPM qualifies).

Furthermore, it is fine to change this setting anytime.  It is very forgiving in that sense.

Regarding floating scatters, I may have a solution for that in the very near future.  Stand by.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-73:

1.) Floating scatters have been fixed (for real this time)

2.) The system was rewritten to only consider quads close to the camera (7500m, so decent visibility). This results in a pretty decent speedup. 100% scatters + Woomerang forest has 80+ FPS at 4K in stock on my Ryzen 5800X/RTX 3070 system, that seems playable. 1080p will of course do much better. :)

Known Bugs:

1.) The ingame shadows without an external mod like scatterer can be glitchy. It is advisable to use an external mod for best experience at the moment.

2.) Land scatters can appear at incorrect elevations if you don't use Kopernicus option "UsePureStockSCatters," which sadly, only works on pure stock systems.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not benefit from this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Some screenshots of the new scatter system, @ 4K in Woomerang Forest flight, 80+ FPS:

screenshot21.png

@canisin, you may wish to try this for your floating scatter bugfix needs. :)

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Kwebib said:

@R-T-B is 4k really that demanding or is the scatter that demanding? I would think stock KSP on a 3070, even at 4k, would run at triple digit fps.

Scatters honestly.  The 100% scatters in flight woomerang forest scenario is rough.  I can get around 140+FPS with less scatters around.  This is a similar scene in stock:

ofUAJT2.jpg

The new system is still being tweaked though, and steadily improving.  I hope to get it down to a more than just "playable" and actually speedy level soon.

Oh, another factoid I did not mention:  The above bench had colliders enabled on the trees, which undoubtedly added some overhead too.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-74:

1.) The new parameters the landscatter system uses to improve performance have now been made tweakable. Most users will find the default settings fine, but should you care, the new settings offered are ScatterCountLimit (a number that limits the number of scatters in a scene) and ScatterDistanceLimit (a number that limits the visible distance at which scatters will be drawn). Note setting these numbers too far apart may cause bad scatter patterning behavior, they work best close together in numerical value.

2.) The default landscatter parameters were optimized one final time in an effort to earn more FPS for minimal (if any) visual loss. The new parameter defaults are 4250/4250.

3.) The scatters nearest the active vessel (or kerbal) will now always be rendered, to avoid them despawning when the camera moves (and potentially killing kerbals if colliders are on).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Some new performance benches with the new parameters, a healthy 10+FPS gain in a similar scene:

BEFORE:

screenshot21.png

AFTER:

screenshot2.png

This basically concludes the scatter rework, barring bugs, attempting to get more performance at this stage just will result in loss of visual fidelty which I will not push in the default config.  I am going to take a hard look at some other bugs at github now before taking a look at KittopiaTech!

Edited by R-T-B

Heads up!  Small, fun update here.  Has a bugfix for some logspam and a fun parameter to give you back your munian main menu scene if you have a Mun, and desire that!  Release notes follow:

New in this latest version release-75:

1.) A new Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter was added, "DisableMainMenuMunScene" boolean, defaults to true. Can be toggled to false if and only if you have a Mun in your system. It will restore the Mun scene in the main menu.

2.) Fixed harmless but annoying nullref ksp.log spam introduced by some leftover debug logging code.

3.) Attempted to fix a reported bug where shadows on scatters could not be disabled.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-76:

1.) A new shadow manager has been implemented to try to calculate the best shadow settings for each scene in stock mode. This won't affect scatterer users, but may greatly help our stock players with the quality issues we've had for some time.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Did a test with JNSQ. The last workikng version is Build 70. With newer versions I have extrem flickering of the world, weird artifacs (flickering square at kerbins surace) and weird shadows at rockets.
I went back to Build 70 and everything is OK.

16 minutes ago, GoAHead said:

yes. i have the same problem with the latest version. shadows flickerin around when moving the camera

2022-01-31-20-53-39-Kerbal-Space-Program

It seems the new shadow manager isn't working well in some situations, reverting just one version should work.  I am in the process of trying to create a fix.

Honestly, I may just revert it entirely, as it seems to have gone completely mental.

EDIT:  Are people with issues perhaps using scatterer by chance?  I think I may have to detect that scenario, and tell my shadow manager not to run if scatterers is...  they seem to fight.

Edited by R-T-B

15 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

It seems the new shadow manager isn't working well in some situations, reverting just one version should work.  I am in the process of trying to create a fix.

Honestly, I may just revert it entirely, as it seems to have gone completely mental.

EDIT:  Are people with issues perhaps using scatterer by chance?  I think I may have to detect that use case, and tell my shadow manager not to run if scatterers is...

Yes, I use scatterer. Removed it and the issues still remain.

Just now, Cheesecake said:

Yes, I use scatterer. Removed it and the issues still remain.

Ok so it's not a conflict.  grrr.   Thanks for testing that for me.

If I can't have it fixed in a few hours, I'll roll it back.  In the meantime, feel free to roll back one version as that version was fine (or as fine as it usually was).  Next update will be better tested, whatever the case.

Edited by R-T-B

Nailed it!

New in this latest version release-77:

1.) A bugfix for a critical visual bug in the new shadow manager, in which it was conflicting with KSP's builtin shadow system (oops!), creating visual artifacts.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-Bthis is probably a stupid question.
I wanted to check my Kopernicus config for the change from release 75 ( A new Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter was added, "DisableMainMenuMunScene" boolean, defaults to true.) but I couldn't find that parameter. When I checked that release (and some older and newer as well) I don't see the Kopernicus_config.cfg in the configfolder, only SolarPanel.cfg and System.cfg. 

Is that correct? If so, how can I change the DisableMainMeneMunScene parameter? 
(I have release 77 now btw)

3 hours ago, modus said:

@R-T-Bthis is probably a stupid question.
I wanted to check my Kopernicus config for the change from release 75 ( A new Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter was added, "DisableMainMenuMunScene" boolean, defaults to true.) but I couldn't find that parameter. When I checked that release (and some older and newer as well) I don't see the Kopernicus_config.cfg in the configfolder, only SolarPanel.cfg and System.cfg. 

Is that correct? If so, how can I change the DisableMainMeneMunScene parameter? 
(I have release 77 now btw)

Not stupid...  I should document that.  I REALLY need to spend some time updating the Kopernicus wiki.

Run Kopernicus to menu once to generate a copy of the cfg... then change what you want  ;)

or just make one in config folder, defaults here:

Kopernicus_config
{
	EnforceShaders = false
	WarnShaders = false
	EnforcedShaderLevel = 2
	SolarRefreshRate = 1
	ScatterCountLimit = 4250
	ScatterDistanceLimit = 4250
	DisableMainMenuMunScene = true
}

BTW, If you are keeping the Mun Scene, it is likely you have a stock based system (all with the Mun but JNSQ pretty much count).  You might also want to set "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" to "Stock" which works better for those.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

it is likely you have a stock based system

I hate to ask this when changes are coming fast, but it sounds like now is a better time.

If you have a free moment, could you give your cfg recommendations for people who are running complete homeworld replacements, and have full eve/scatterer support? I have managed to confuse myself a lot over which settings matter for stock and which don't, and what's happening with floating/overpopulated scatters for non-stock. This is what I have (by default) on KSRSS:

Thanks!

Spoiler

{

EnforceShaders = false

WarnShaders = false

EnforcedShaderLevel = 2

UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = True

SolarRefreshRate = 1

}

6 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I hate to ask this when changes are coming fast, but it sounds like now is a better time.

If you have a free moment, could you give your cfg recommendations for people who are running complete homeworld replacements, and have full eve/scatterer support? I have managed to confuse myself a lot over which settings matter for stock and which don't, and what's happening with floating/overpopulated scatters for non-stock. This is what I have (by default) on KSRSS:

Thanks!

Reveal hidden contents

{

EnforceShaders = false

WarnShaders = false

EnforcedShaderLevel = 2

SolarRefreshRate = 1

}

I, too, am curious about this.  I'm playing Beyond Home on 1.12.3, with some educated guesses about things like asteroid/comet settings (UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock).  I have applied the multi-sun patch which helped a lot in some rare edge cases, but everything else I'm just guessing at.

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Thanks!

Hide contents

{

EnforceShaders = false

WarnShaders = false

EnforcedShaderLevel = 2

SolarRefreshRate = 1

}

The default config is actually ideal for complete homeworld replacement situations.  I'd leave it alone, since you haven't declared anything it will just go to defaults, and that is great for you.

You might need the multistar patch if there's more than one star, but otherwise, it's all good.

50 minutes ago, GDorn said:

I, too, am curious about this.  I'm playing Beyond Home on 1.12.3, with some educated guesses about things like asteroid/comet settings (UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = Stock).  I have applied the multi-sun patch which helped a lot in some rare edge cases, but everything else I'm just guessing at.

I really do need to get the wiki updated, or produce a manual, or something.  I'll consider that a priority todo for the near future.

Anyways, only thing out of line there is stock, which MAY work, but comets may behave oddly and end up in stars etc since some educated guesses it makes about the system end up wrong.  If you are ok with that, then all looks good.

A lot of the undocumented parameters are boring really, because other than UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem , the changes aren't dramatic.  SolarRefreshRate as an example, is for the multisun patch and for people who need it to refresh EC calculations faster/slower than every 1 second.  I don't think many need that.

Edited by R-T-B