[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

14 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Not stupid...  I should document that.  I REALLY need to spend some time updating the Kopernicus wiki.

Run Kopernicus to menu once to generate a copy of the cfg... then change what you want  ;)

or just make one in config folder, 

Yeah I thought it had to be something like that, I just was a little confused to cfg didn't 'update' itself when using the new realease. Thx for clearing that up!

14 hours ago, R-T-B said:

BTW, If you are keeping the Mun Scene, it is likely you have a stock based system (all with the Mun but JNSQ pretty much count).  You might also want to set "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" to "Stock" which works better for those.

yep, I have it set to stock (and have so for a long time :wink:)!

Heads up on what to expect next release:  the next patch will introduce proper config file updating support (as in, it will autoadd new parameters), as well as add comments to Kopernicus_Config.cfg explaining what each parameter does.  It will be completely transparent and existing parameters already set will be preserved, like we always should have been doing.

Frankly, I can't believe I did not do this long ago.  It will release in the next few days, want to take a look at some of the old github bugs first as well before release.  But it's coming.

Yeah, and apparently, even with the Making Less History mod. I'm still having that sinking landing gear issue.

screenshot153.png

The only workaround i've discovered is basically using Breaking Ground's robotic parts to build a landing gear:

screenshot154.png

While it looks ridiculous, it's still working as a landing gear.

Regardless though, i'll see if i can replicate that again, but this time, without the Making History expansion.

But at least i no longer have low fps when i'm on the surface of a planet, or when i'm launching spacecrafts, with the new update.^_^

Edited by Venusian Explorer

13 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

Just a heads-up - still experiencing the dreaded sinking bug on GPP in system replacer mode. Even with Watchdog. On some other packs too.

That bug is tough.  The current fix cfg only works sometimes and is far less reliable than hoped.  While it is being looked into, I have no further ideas at the moment.  You might try MakingLessHistory too.  It's been known to help, for god knows what reason.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-78:

1.) Comments have been introduced to Kopernicus_Config.cfg, saying in explicit detail what every option does. The config files further more now autoupdate, adding new options, removing outdated ones, and preserving the old configs while doing so. Snazzy!

2.) A few lighting issues in 1.8.x caused by bad camera selection have been patched. (Dual camera still is the norm there).

3.) The readme doc was updated to remove old outdated entries on some fixed bugs. It furthermore had bad guidance on how to deal with those bugs, which has also been removed.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not benefit from this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

15 hours ago, Venusian Explorer said:

Yeah, and apparently, even with the Making Less History mod. I'm still having that sinking landing gear issue.

Hi R-T-B! Just let you know I tried to use Making Less History with my planet mod, but I also still have this issue. The issue is still there even if I don't install making history dlc.

48 minutes ago, Jason Kerman said:

Hi R-T-B! Just let you know I tried to use Making Less History with my planet mod, but I also still have this issue. The issue is still there even if I don't install making history dlc.

It's admitedly not a complete fix for all scenarios.  Some users have just found that it helps.  Why?  Beats me.  I just list it until I have a better fix.

The only fix I'm really aware of that works 100% of the time is to mod the landing gear or use robotics parts, but even that doesn't help the Kerbals that crawl out onto the surface.  That bug is most frustrating for any pack containing distant bodies.

Intriguingly, in rescale packs involving stock bodies, the bug does not seem present.  I really wish I knew what was going on with it, or what precisely is happening, lol.

Edited by R-T-B

I'm currently seeking beta testers for a new build that does some pretty experimental things to fix the distant body landing/sinking bug.  This won't be deployed immediately (like last time), and I certainly do need testers to ensure it works well.  If you are affected by this bug, feel free to PM me.

Note that I considered making a new "bleeding edge" build for this, but given it's just one bug affecting a pretty small number of users, I figured it'd be easier to just do a private beta.  Awaiting applicants.

This probably interests you, @Hohmannson

Edited by R-T-B

How could I make a pseudo Lagrange point by placing very, very small bodies with the gravitiational characteristics of the Lagrange points?

Spoiler

I guess what I'm asking is how can I make small bodies that stay at the same place near a body as it orbits Kerbol?

13 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

How could I make a pseudo Lagrange point by placing very, very small bodies with the gravitiational characteristics of the Lagrange points?

Hide contents

I guess what I'm asking is how can I make small bodies that stay at the same place near a body as it orbits Kerbol?

You can do something like that sort of, but only relative to the surface.  You are talking about a geosyncronous orbit if relative to the surface.

I know that's not what you really want, but I suck at configs (Ironic I know) and won't even attempt to guess if what you want is possible.

You could use Principia to get real larange points, but that's a ton of science and headache.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

You can do something like that sort of, but only relative to the surface.  You are talking about a geosyncronous orbit if relative to the surface.

I know that's not what you really want, but I suck at configs (Ironic I know) and won't even attempt to guess if what you want is possible.

You could use Principia to get real larange points, but that's a ton of science and headache.

Okay, thanks for letting me know!

(I don't want to use Principia, I'd probably fry my computer)

Might anyone else have an idea of how to do it?

Maybe @Galileo or @linuxgurugamer, or perhaps even @Exo's Lab?

So as far as the testing on the sinking issue goes, the beta works, but more or less just like @Venusian Explorer's solution.  It works on landing legs and Kerbals only, and it works only because I froze the suspension (Kerbals have suspension too, yes, odd), which somehow makes the landing gear then function.  We also changed the collision layer they operate on, hoping that would help wheels, but that did nothing.

Unfortunate it's not more comprehensive, but may do as a "opt-in" mitigation I can enable.  We'll see.

Edited by R-T-B

6 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

I don't want to use Principia, I'd probably fry my computer

I'd say give it a spin, it doesn't use much resources actually. I'm playing with Principia on a Core i5 laptop and from a CPU point of view, that's working fine (my bottleneck is the integrated graphics in that thing).

3 hours ago, RKunze said:

I'd say give it a spin, it doesn't use much resources actually. I'm playing with Principia on a Core i5 laptop and from a CPU point of view, that's working fine (my bottleneck is the integrated graphics in that thing).

One of the great things about Principia few people know is it actually multithreads the very hard math it has to do.

This makes it run pretty much more smooth than KSP itself on the same PC if you have more than 1-2 cores.  So naturally, the bottleneck tends to be the original game, sadly.

The bigger leap with Principia is the learning curve.  Frames of reference take a bit to get used to.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi, I've been told to contact the Kopernicus Dev team after asking about it on the TweakScale thread, I'm hoping you guys can help me;

My best understanding of the issue is that PQSModCreator has 2 things with the same name.

The relevant part of the log:

[LOG 15:12:42.539] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'PQSModCreator' from assembly 'KopernicusExpansion.RegionalPQSMods'
[EXC 15:12:43.763] ArgumentException: Duplicate type name within an assembly.
        System.Reflection.Emit.ModuleBuilder.DefineType (System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attr, System.Type parent, System.Type[] interfaces, System.Reflection.Emit.PackingSize packingSize, System.Int32 typesize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
        System.Reflection.Emit.ModuleBuilder.DefineType (System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attr, System.Type parent, System.Type[] interfaces) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.TypeGen..ctor (TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen owner, System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attrs, System.TypebaseType, System.Type[] interfaces, TriAxis.RunSharp.ITypeMapper typeMapper) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen.Class (System.String name, System.Type baseType, System.Type[] interfaces) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen.Class (System.String name, System.Type baseType) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        KopernicusExpansion.RegionalPQSMods.PQSModCreator.Awake () (at <f5e1172978524a599c9056aa1686da11>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        <LoadObjects>d__90:MoveNext()
        UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
        <CreateDatabase>d__71:MoveNext()
        GameDatabase:StartLoad()
        <LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
        LoadingScreen:Start()

The full log is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYWDqAaiI7nXrtvDqwZ__CCcO3wnmIGI/view

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, VictorGamer072YT said:

Hi, I've been told to contact the Kopernicus Dev team after asking about it on the TweakScale thread, I'm hoping you guys can help me;

My best understanding of the issue is that PQSModCreator has 2 things with the same name.

The relevant part of the log:

[LOG 15:12:42.539] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'PQSModCreator' from assembly 'KopernicusExpansion.RegionalPQSMods'
[EXC 15:12:43.763] ArgumentException: Duplicate type name within an assembly.
        System.Reflection.Emit.ModuleBuilder.DefineType (System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attr, System.Type parent, System.Type[] interfaces, System.Reflection.Emit.PackingSize packingSize, System.Int32 typesize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
        System.Reflection.Emit.ModuleBuilder.DefineType (System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attr, System.Type parent, System.Type[] interfaces) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.TypeGen..ctor (TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen owner, System.String name, System.Reflection.TypeAttributes attrs, System.TypebaseType, System.Type[] interfaces, TriAxis.RunSharp.ITypeMapper typeMapper) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen.Class (System.String name, System.Type baseType, System.Type[] interfaces) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        TriAxis.RunSharp.AssemblyGen.Class (System.String name, System.Type baseType) (at <fd18e0ef899946d5b101c3255bfcbde8>:0)
        KopernicusExpansion.RegionalPQSMods.PQSModCreator.Awake () (at <f5e1172978524a599c9056aa1686da11>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        <LoadObjects>d__90:MoveNext()
        <CreateDatabase>d__71:MoveNext()
        GameDatabase:StartLoad()
        <LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
        LoadingScreen:Start()

The full log is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYWDqAaiI7nXrtvDqwZ__CCcO3wnmIGI/view

Thanks in advance.

You are close to the proper spot.  You want the KopernicusExpansion dev team, which is not me, but I can point you there:

KopernicusExpansion is like an expansion pack for Kopernicus, but unfortunately, I don't code it, and thus can't help. ;)

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-79:

1.) Major updates to the "KopernicusWatchdog" optional config-based bugfix for the "sinking on distant bodies" issue. If you are/were using this, please replace the cfg. This new version works in far more scenarios, including many situations not around the stock sun. It's also reasonably compatible, though some mods may still need to be updated to be aware of this weird fake celestial tech it uses.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-81:

1.) Yet more situational edge-cases covered by the KopernicusWatchdog config mode. In particular, multistar systems and systems with deep trees (moons of moons) are now much better supported.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

Edited by R-T-B

I note that you're talking more here about improper craft displacement on loading and want to report that I had a quite severe bug that seems related to this issue with the crafts sinking. A base that I had set up on a planet in the Galaxies Unbound pack that's at about 413 000 Gm (interstellar range) from Kerbol materialized on reload and entry from the Tracking Station somewhere fully beneath the ground, fell for a while, then exploded. Not sure if this is related to these issues but I thought I'd say it here. This is for KSP 1.12.3.

9 minutes ago, shimmy00 said:

I note that you're talking more here about improper craft displacement on loading and want to report that I had a quite severe bug that seems related to this issue with the crafts sinking. A base that I had set up on a planet in the Galaxies Unbound pack that's at about 413 000 Gm (interstellar range) from Kerbol materialized on reload and entry from the Tracking Station somewhere fully beneath the ground, fell for a while, then exploded. Not sure if this is related to these issues but I thought I'd say it here. This is for KSP 1.12.3.

That sounds like the bug I was dealing with, albeit much more aggressively.

Are you using the optional config that tries to address it?  Just drop in your config folder if not:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/download/release-81/AddWatchdog.cfg

RIP Space Base.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B,

I just finished another try again with the watchdog config installed. Now the base was not below ground, but it dropped from a height (not enough to destroy it, but quite visibly nonetheless of several meters up). Not sure though if this was due to the patch, or just due to landing at a different location on the planet.

Edited by shimmy00

4 hours ago, shimmy00 said:

@R-T-B,

I just finished another try again with the watchdog config installed. Now the base was not below ground, but it dropped from a height (not enough to destroy it, but quite visibly nonetheless of several meters up). Not sure though if this was due to the patch, or just due to landing at a different location on the planet.

You are probably dealing with floating point errors of quite a bit out at that distance.  The watchdog at least prevents (usually) lethal errors, and once the level fully loads it should be rather safe to walk around.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:11 AM, R-T-B said:

You are probably dealing with floating point errors of quite a bit out at that distance.  The watchdog at least prevents (usually) lethal errors, and once the level fully loads it should be rather safe to walk around.

Um, I've just discovered that this this bug is happening when I use a much closer planet pack - Outer Planets Mod (though I do also have GU still installed, but I'm not that far out now, only 123 Gm). The height seems similar in both cases - a few meters above the ground; a noticeable >1 second of falling, landing legs can take it but not other crafts.

Edited by shimmy00