[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

yeah I play at 10x rescale and the angle change is present there, just barely detectable.  I think at stock scaling you'll notice it more.

I'm still trying to think up a "best of both worlds" option, hoping for a last minute epiphany (they happen, albeit infrequently).  There"ll be a patch of some sort for this by tomorrow for sure though.  In the meantine, anyone really bothered by it can just go back one version.

Edited by R-T-B

An attempt at a compromise re-the camera angle bug.

Try it out and advise. :)

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-85:

1.) Attempt to correct a bug where the game camera would respawn at the KSC sometimes at an incorrect angle or elevation. Needs testing, but seems improved and more stock-alike.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

11 hours ago, Kwebib said:

@R-T-BI think I could live with it - would just take getting used to. Interesting that my camera is at a different angle than @caipi's. Here is the angle mine sits at:

I already changed my angle at the screenshots to clearly show the elevation difference.

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Try it out and advise. :)

New in this latest version release-85:

1.) Attempt to correct a bug where the game camera would respawn at the KSC sometimes at an incorrect angle or elevation. Needs testing, but seems improved and more stock-alike.

Thanks, testing it right now. Taking a similar screenshot and comparing it to my previous shows no change in elevation. If you want to, I can also try a fresh/clean install with KSP, kopernicus, JNSQ (+all their dependencies) later.

As for your previous question, what's worse, sinking bug or elevation/angle bug. I consider the sinking bug worse (or annoying) and the elevation/angle as merely cosmetic. The latter is nothing that would bother me. Although I haven't really encountered the occasional sinking bug in a loooong time. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever encountered it in my current KSP 1.12(.3)+JNSQ throughplay, starting with Kopernicus R70 or so. Though I haven't gotten very far out yet (Duna/Eve) - maybe that's related. Dunno.

48 minutes ago, caipi said:

I already changed my angle at the screenshots to clearly show the elevation difference.

Thanks, testing it right now. Taking a similar screenshot and comparing it to my previous shows no change in elevation. If you want to, I can also try a fresh/clean install with KSP, kopernicus, JNSQ (+all their dependencies) later.

As for your previous question, what's worse, sinking bug or elevation/angle bug. I consider the sinking bug worse (or annoying) and the elevation/angle as merely cosmetic. The latter is nothing that would bother me. Although I haven't really encountered the occasional sinking bug in a loooong time. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever encountered it in my current KSP 1.12(.3)+JNSQ throughplay, starting with Kopernicus R70 or so. Though I haven't gotten very far out yet (Duna/Eve) - maybe that's related. Dunno.

Well there are two sinking bugs...  the first is the bad one on distant bodies that can actually affect gameplay.  The one I am talking about here only happens on quickloads at the KSC, and it results in the KSC sinking into the ground about 5m or so.

It too is cosmetic, as a reload fixes it, but...  not ideal.

Anyways, am I understanding you correctly that it's still bugged for you?  As in the elevation change still happens?  Hmm.  Odd.  I could've sworn that would at least change the behavior somewhat...  oh well.

What is the exact procedure you follow to produce an elevation change like that, to be clear and enable proper replication?

I don't think a clean install is needed, this should work basically the same in most any install or circumstances.  I appreciate the feedback.  May look into making this fix "opt-outable" in the near future (probably via the config file) but for now, it's not that bad, so I'll probably wait for a bit more feedback.

Edited by R-T-B

55 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

The one I am talking about here only happens on quickloads at the KSC, and it results in the KSC sinking into the ground about 5m or so.

It too is cosmetic, as a reload fixes it, but...  not ideal.

That's the same bug I was talking about and which I know all to well from previous playthroughs, but not from my current one (which is my first playthrough in 1.12 - my last one was in 1.10.x). Though it might just be a coincidence that I haven't encountered it (yet!). If you had said it was already fixed (before R84), I would have believed you. :D

Yes, you understood correctly. It's still "bugged" (if you can call it that) for me. The camara elevation is consistently higher, right from the start. Starting the game (new game or resuming a game makes no difference) is enough. Maybe it can just be fixed with a new or altered setting in JNSQ? Again, this isn't really bothering me. I just noticed the altered standard behavior and wanted to confirm @Kwebib's finding/report. Honestly, I find it almost trivial. And if it fixes another bug that is slightly more annoying, keep it, I'd say.

I took a few screens from a fresh install, comparing JNSQ with R83 to JNSQ with R85. The first one is the default angle and elevation when you start or switch from any planet, editor, or tracking station back to the Kerbal Space Center (no turning, no moving the camera, no zooming, etc.pp.). The second screenshot is the same angle and elevation unchanged, just zoomed in  to the maximum to show the camera reference point a bit more clearly (I hope).

Spoiler

R83 as it was and should be, default angle/elevation

r83s1f7kuk.png

R85 default angle/elevation

r85s1bkkgr.png

R83 max zoom level:

r83s257jy7.png

R85 max zoom level:

r85s2lzk16.png

Edited by caipi
quote shortened to the essential part

I see.  It seems the first load loop is the problem.  It raises the elevation slightly on first load and that sticks.  As you said, it's slight, but it's there.

I think I can actually fix that.  It's minor as you said, but no sense leaving it if it is fixable...  I'll take another stab at it soon.

EDIT:  Actually, I'm just going to leave it as it is if no one else cares, because that code is a rats nest I don't want to poke right now... lol.  It works and doesn't affect gameplay?  Sounds good to me.

Edited by R-T-B

On 3/3/2022 at 2:31 AM, FDAUT said:

Everything is ok apart from shadows, everything is quite dark

Quite late in reply to this, but wanted to share my experience, as I have felt the same way about a lot of scenes in KSP.

Example:

Spoiler

N7UsygA.png

The issue I have with this image is that the sunlight is hitting the R&D buildings and therefore the back side of the VAB should not be pitch black due to reflection at least. IMHO, ambient light doesn't disappear in shadows, and shadows are not black. 

Here's one subtle change I've started making and I like it so far. This is the stock ambient light slider bumped to 6%, which leaves the shaded areas dark, but not black, and doesn't seem to blow out any of the bright areas:

Spoiler

Nw5dIEG.png

Just helps me not instantly say "ugh why is everything so dark?"

Just a heads up to everyone, we are tracking an emerging bug from the last camera change that happens on occasion at high altitude (1000m+) launch sites.  In this case, the camera is elevated about 1000m about the KSC, which is a bit more problematic.

Working on a fix (or alternatively just a revert) soon.  In the meantime if effected Release-83 does not have this issue.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-86:

1.) Revert the KSC-sinking on load fixes, as they were causing camera issues. The KSC now sinks sometimes on quicksave load again, as a result (lesser of two evils in this case). To work around this, reload save, same as always. The KSC never sinks permanently.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:21 AM, jaunco325 said:

this is the mod to change the sizes and other things of the planets? I can't find a way to do it.

This is the base mod that enables you to edit planet parameters, and make new ones. By itself, it does nothing really.

This is the mod I use (which requires Kopernicus) to rescale planets: https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions

It hasn't been updated in a long time (seems abandoned), but it still works (although it does cause a few error messages on loading)

Alternately, you could manually make config files changing the semi-major axis and radius of every body in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time again.  Minor bugfix for a reported edge case:

New in this latest version release-87:

1.) Some minor changes to how OnDemand functions to avoid a edge case where the craft could have the body it is on be unloaded, resulting in it falling to it's doom. This did not happen often mind, but was very annoying when it did. Now fixed.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

@R-T-BI'm using this with RSS in a new KSP 1.12.3 install and I'm getting the following error:

Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process

It is complaining about Ceres being null. I collected all the log files and made them available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl7jtozaspk0a4d/KSP.zip?dl=0

Can you help? Many thanks!

Hello all.  I'll take a look at reported support requests here really soon, been a bit busy.

There was also supposed to be a smallish release this weekend.  Bit behind, lol.  I'll get back to you all really soon here.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, dlrk said:

Is there a way to hide KopernicusWatchdog from ContractConfigurator?

I think my patchset is the only way and you might just be the first one to really test it!  I'll see about fixing those text bugs really soon as well.

Hello all!  Minor patch incoming to fix some little issues in the last release.  Will try to get to some other business, bug reports here included, very shortly.

New in this latest version release-88:

1.) Some minor changes to how OnDemand functions to avoid a harmless nullref on scene switches. Now fixed.

2.) The Kopernicus asteroid generator was underspawning asteroids for a very long time. This has been fixed. Credit to github user @TuckMeIntoBread.

3.) Some minor syntax fixes for CKAN.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

2 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Hello @R-T-B release-88 (on CKAN) is EXC spamming at the main menu, filling up the logs...

KSP log 88 shortened

player log 88 shortened

Reverted to 87:

KSP log 87 

player log 87

Ick.  That was not intended.  I need to test better.  A fix will be incoming shortly (few minutes).

It looks like that is purely cosmetic and only happens if the main menu appears, but still a big "oops" moment.  It also has the potential to lag the game if on a HDD or something.

Yeah, urgent fix incoming.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-89:

1.) An emergency fix for nonstop logspam that got triggered by of all things, the main menu appearing. Sorry about that!

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

2 hours ago, modus said:

@R-T-B it's cool that there will be more asteroids spawning, but the game (using your latest release) really wants me to know there are no new objects at this time :sticktongue:
Is this intended behaviour?

S3EYjYB.png

(this is just a short snip, it goes on and on)

Looks like leftover logspam from a debugging build.  It is of course harmless, and was being used to test/debug the asteroid system.  Will be patched shortly though because no, it should not be in the end user build.

This is why patching at 3am is bad kids, I blame work...

New in this latest version release-90:

1.) A fix for some less severe but still annoying logspam regarding asteroid probabilities. (We don't need to know the probability for an asteroid spawning every moment, KSP...)

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

Hello!   I seem to be having a problem.   I showed this to Lisias and they seemed to think it was something about Kopernicus not being Compatible.

Heres the original problem post

Here's my log:  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOawFUYpS7SD2fSepn3ahJlmh1LTfppj/view?usp=sharing

Here are some sections that Lisias said were related to the problem  (I am way over my head in this area)

ERR 17:56:08.964] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KopernicusExpansion': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x000e6] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not resolve type with token 01000002 (from typeref, class/assembly Kopernicus.Configuration.ExternalP
arserTargetLoader, Kopernicus, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null)

Lisias Diagnostic:

Spoiler

"

For some reason the KopernicusExpansion thingy is not suitable for you rig, I'm betting this DLL is too old or "too new" for your system, and it's failing because some custom type is not there (and it should, from the point of view of the guy trying to load it).

This ends up triggering a nasty bug on KSP

The problem with this bug is that everybody that tries to load a DLL or to use the Reflection thingy from C# borks after the bug is triggered - and so, things don't work properly. 

On your case, Kopernicus is one of the victims:

[EXC 07:25:36.454] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.UpdateCache () (at <7dd8cd55479d4f5fa301c344b9c37231>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

As well the KSPedia:

[EXC 07:25:14.492] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KSPAssets.KSPedia.KSPediaSpawner.HideKSPedia () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSPAssets.KSPedia.KSPediaSpawner.Hide () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.KSPediaApp.HideApp () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.hideApp () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.Hide () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.OnFalse (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallTyp
e callType) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`2[T1,T2].Invoke (T1 args0, T2 args1) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
        UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`2[T0,T1].Invoke (T0 arg0, T1 arg1) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.SetState (KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+State state, KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSyst
ems.PointerEventData data, System.Boolean popButtonsInGroup) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.ToggleState (KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData event Data, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

"

Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix.   Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Edited by Tundra

1 hour ago, Tundra said:

Hello!   I seem to be having a problem.   I showed this to Lisias and they seemed to think it was something about Kopernicus not being Compatible.

Heres the original problem post

Here's my log:  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOawFUYpS7SD2fSepn3ahJlmh1LTfppj/view?usp=sharing

Here are some sections that Lisias said were related to the problem  (I am way over my head in this area)

ERR 17:56:08.964] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KopernicusExpansion': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x000e6] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not resolve type with token 01000002 (from typeref, class/assembly Kopernicus.Configuration.ExternalP
arserTargetLoader, Kopernicus, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null)

Lisias Diagnostic:

Hide contents

"

For some reason the KopernicusExpansion thingy is not suitable for you rig, I'm betting this DLL is too old or "too new" for your system, and it's failing because some custom type is not there (and it should, from the point of view of the guy trying to load it).

This ends up triggering a nasty bug on KSP

The problem with this bug is that everybody that tries to load a DLL or to use the Reflection thingy from C# borks after the bug is triggered - and so, things don't work properly. 

On your case, Kopernicus is one of the victims:

[EXC 07:25:36.454] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.UpdateCache () (at <7dd8cd55479d4f5fa301c344b9c37231>:0)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

As well the KSPedia:

[EXC 07:25:14.492] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KSPAssets.KSPedia.KSPediaSpawner.HideKSPedia () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSPAssets.KSPedia.KSPediaSpawner.Hide () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.KSPediaApp.HideApp () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.hideApp () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.Hide () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.OnFalse (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallTyp
e callType) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`2[T1,T2].Invoke (T1 args0, T2 args1) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
        UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`2[T0,T1].Invoke (T0 arg0, T1 arg1) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.SetState (KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+State state, KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSyst
ems.PointerEventData data, System.Boolean popButtonsInGroup) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.ToggleState (KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData event Data, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

"

Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix.   Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Hello!  That appears to be a bug with KopernicusExpansion, not Kopernicus.  It's a rather old mod, but there is an up to date version of at least parts of it here:

Bear in mind I do not maintain that mod, but happy to point you the right way!