[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

21 minutes ago, Oaterson said:

log file is attached

One thing for sure is get rid of MiniAVC.dll from everywhere in your gamedata folder. That mod is out of date and causes startup errors. Note that additional copies may be located inside some of your mod folders. After that, definitely try again.

@Oaterson This looks like a prime candidate for fixing:

[ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
EngineLightRelit 1.6.3.3 GameData\EngineLightRelit\Plugins\EngineLightRelit.dll
[AssemblyLoader] Exception when getting assembly attributes: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'EngineLightRelit.DynamicSettings:toolbarControl' (2) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'ToolbarControl, Version=0.1.9.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:ToolbarControl, Version=0.1.9.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:(null) signature:<none> 
AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'ToolbarController' has not met dependency 'ClickThroughBlocker' V1.0.0 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

I'd try reinstalling ClickThroughBlocker and ToolbarController to make sure you have the latest versions.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, Oaterson said:

engine lighting was the issue, will move to that thread

Thanks for updating, and sorry for getting back to you so late.  I'll touch bases with that mod's author soon.

To everyone else:

Work has been a bit intense lately, but I've not forgotten you guys.  I'm trying to work on the shadow bug now, and hope for an updated build that will fix that in stock config (no scatterer) soon.

Edited by R-T-B

Playing GPP, and it has asteroids that are meant to be bigger than E-class, but they don't seem to be any bigger. Like an I-class was still about 1000T. Known issue? (amongst the other probably more important asteroid issues lol)

8 hours ago, Rodger said:

Playing GPP, and it has asteroids that are meant to be bigger than E-class, but they don't seem to be any bigger. Like an I-class was still about 1000T. Known issue? (amongst the other probably more important asteroid issues lol)

GPP doesn't do anything that I know of to make asteroids bigger.  Could you be thinking of JNSQ?  JNSQ increases the size and mass of asteroids, but not GPP.  GPP deletes the stock asteroids and creates its own asteroid belts, but that's all.  You should continue to see regular stock-sized asteroids.

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

GPP doesn't do anything that I know of to make asteroids bigger.  Could you be thinking of JNSQ?  JNSQ increases the size and mass of asteroids, but not GPP.  GPP deletes the stock asteroids and creates its own asteroid belts, but that's all.  You should continue to see regular stock-sized asteroids.

Well there's class F though I asteroids showing up for me in my (2.5x) GPP game, though they're technically just E class in therms of mass. And I remembered seeing "Deleted MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours plugin (now part of Kopernicus)." in the last GPP patchnotes, so thought that might've meant they should be bigger. If they're not actually meant to be bigger than normal, can probably just ignore the naming issue lol

4 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Well there's class F though I asteroids showing up for me in my (2.5x) GPP game, though they're technically just E class in therms of mass. And I remembered seeing "Deleted MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours plugin (now part of Kopernicus)." in the last GPP patchnotes, so thought that might've meant they should be bigger. If they're not actually meant to be bigger than normal, can probably just ignore the naming issue lol

Neither GPP not Kopernicus change the size or mass of asteroids. If you want bigger and/or denser rocks you have three options:

1) install RoverDude's ART mod

2) install JNSQ

3) write the config yourself. It's really simple (example from JNSQ, ART makes them even bigger):

Spoiler

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
    {
        @density *= 3.3456  
        %maxRadiusMultiplier = 10.0  
        %minRadiusMultiplier = 2  
    }
}

23 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

3) write the config yourself. It's really simple (example from JNSQ, ART makes them even bigger):

Hide contents

{
    @MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
    {
        @density *= 3.3456  
        %maxRadiusMultiplier = 10.0  
        %minRadiusMultiplier = 2  
    }
}

Although the settings you reference are from the current version of JNSQ, they produce bad results.  At someone else's request, I've changed the settings to the following, which should be much better.  JNSQ hasn't been updated with the change, however.

Spoiler

{
    @MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
    {
        @density *= 33
        %maxRadiusMultiplier = 1.67
        %minRadiusMultiplier = 1
    }
}

36 minutes ago, Rodger said:

I have no idea why you are getting class F, unless that's an addition to the stock game that I'm unaware of.  MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours is a plugin that allows the placement of Breaking Ground surface features (like the Baobab trees on Kerbin).  Doesn't have anything to do with asteroids.

Hello,

Kopernicus causes me strange shadow problems: See here:

vh1UXVp.jpg

As soon as I uninstall Kopernicus the issues are gone. Even if I have Kopernicus installed, without other mods using it (uninstalled OPM testwise) the shadow issues are there. I also uninstalled all other visual mods. and furthermore I went to stock KSP. Same thing. I am now sure, that Kopernicus causes this issue. Somehow it seems to influence the way the system calculates the Lighting of spaceships. As soon as I turn down the Shadow cascade values in the game settings, the Issues are gone, but then everything is always lighted like it would be in the shadows

Can somebody help ? Can somebody fix this, please?

Edited by Rakete

26 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Sounds like it's a known issue, try the suggested scatterer settings change.

Haven't got scatterer because of FPS. :P only Eve, Spectra, which I deleted testwise, which had no effect.

Another issue: Sometimes upon loading a save out of another save the KSC gets haldway burried in the green ground or the ground is not rendered, so that you can see through the sea the stars (when e.g using OPM).

Edited by Rakete

Just now, modus said:

Issue also known, reload your save.

This was fixed and than reverted a couple of releases ago iirc.

That worked for the burried KSC, but not for the shadow issue. They are really not beautifull. Something makes KSP shadow calculation derail.

10 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I have no idea why you are getting class F, unless that's an addition to the stock game that I'm unaware of.

Ah apparently those classes are stock comets, just appearing as asteroids as kopernicus hasn’t implemented them yet, or something like that.

8 hours ago, Rakete said:

Hello,

Kopernicus causes me strange shadow problems: See here:

vh1UXVp.jpg

As soon as I uninstall Kopernicus the issues are gone. Even if I have Kopernicus installed, without other mods using it (uninstalled OPM testwise) the shadow issues are there. I also uninstalled all other visual mods. and furthermore I went to stock KSP. Same thing. I am now sure, that Kopernicus causes this issue. Somehow it seems to influence the way the system calculates the Lighting of spaceships. As soon as I turn down the Shadow cascade values in the game settings, the Issues are gone, but then everything is always lighted like it would be in the shadows

Can somebody help ? Can somebody fix this, please?

Yeah that's our biggest bug right now.  I'm working on adapting some of scatterers GPL code to fix the shadows using a similar shadow system to what it does, but what to touch bases with blackrack first to ensure I have proper permission and all.  Even though it's GPL, it's just polite to ask before borrowing code ideas like that.

I'd hope next release addresses this, eta within the month.  Until then, use scatterer long distance shadows mode to fix this.

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

Another issue: Sometimes upon loading a save out of another save the KSC gets haldway burried in the green ground or the ground is not rendered, so that you can see through the sea the stars (when e.g using OPM).

Yeah I tried fixing this one but it introduced other bugs, so we just decided to live with the work around of "load again."

Sadly a lot of this is janky hacky code (even in KSP itself) so stuff like this can and does happen.

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

Ah apparently those classes are stock comets, just appearing as asteroids as kopernicus hasn’t implemented them yet, or something like that.

This is possible.  The stock generator in kopernicus does not understand comets at all (Some day I'll fix that but it's low on the priority list)...  You can switch to stock mode to get the stock game generator that understands them if you are in a stock-alike system.  You do this by changing Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" from "true" to "stock" without quotes.

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah that's our biggest bug right now.  I'm working on adapting some of scatterers GPL code to fix the shadows using a similar shadow system to what it does, but what to touch bases with blackrack first to ensure I have proper permission and all.  Even though it's GPL, it's just polite to ask before borrowing code ideas like that.

Ah okay, I am looking forward to the fix. Will follow this thread for info on the release when it drops. Right now i have uninstalled Kopernicus and OPM due to these heavy shadow issues (fortunately i haven't got to the outer planets in my current playthrough yet, so it does no harm).

Will this fix using scatterers techniques have a huge performance impact? I don't use scatterer (yes, it looks fantastic!) due to its kinda heavy performance impact.

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah I tried fixing this one but it introduced other bugs, so we just decided to live with the work around of "load again."

Sadly a lot of this is janky hacky code (even in KSP itself) so stuff like this can and does happen

Alright,... but this bug only occurs on loading the KSC in not-flight-scene, right? Or do I have to expect a missing ground/sunk KSP, when I want to land a SSTO on the runway?

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

You can switch to stock mode to get the stock game generator that understands them if you are in a stock-alike system.  You do this by changing Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" from "true" to "stock" without quotes.

Sounds interesting. What does stock-alike mean in this context? Does OPM for example work with the stock asteroid generator? Other planet mods don't? How can I decide if it's best to use Kopernicus' or the stock generator?

Edited by Rakete

9 hours ago, Rakete said:

Sounds interesting. What does stock-alike mean in this context? Does OPM for example work with the stock asteroid generator? Other planet mods don't? How can I decide if it's best to use Kopernicus' or the stock generator?

The stock asteroid generator should work just fine with Stock + OPM.  Stock asteroids spawn near Kerbin and Dres, so as long as those bodies exist in their stock locations, stock asteroids will appear as intended without any problems.  Where you run into problems using the stock generator is when the stock solar system is reconfigured or replaced.  When planet modders start moving planets around, or deleting and adding planets, they likely want asteroids to spawn in new locations.  That's when they need to use the Kopernicus asteroid generator.

Edited by OhioBob