[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

My philosophy has always been to get the fixes out as fast as possible.

Unfortunately, sometimes a new bug creeps in during all that. :D Last release has some coloration bugs in some mods terrain and fog, the cause has been found and it will be fixed shortly.  Just FYI if anyone is experiencing that.  JNSQ seems particularly...  green at the KSC.

Yeah JNSQ looking mighty green, if anyone wants the yard looking normal just use 117 for now.

I got a question, does updating an ongoing save cause any issues reverting between Kopernicus releases, updating and such?

4 minutes ago, Velve666 said:

I got a question, does updating an ongoing save cause any issues reverting between Kopernicus releases, updating and such?

Potentially, but not reverting a small amount like one version.  You need to go WAY back to get into trouble.  I generally ensure things stay compatible within the last month of releases or so, and often things work for far further.

Since I push out fixes so fast, it's almost always a safe bet if something "just broke" to try the release immediately before.  There is no danger in trying that.

Edited by R-T-B

11 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Potentially, but not reverting a small amount like one version.  You need to go WAY back to get into trouble.  I generally ensure things stay compatible within the last month of releases or so, and often things work for far further.

Since I push out fixes so fast, it's almost always a safe bet if something "just broke" to try the release immediately before.  There is no danger in trying that.

Okay thank you, I started this JNSQ playthrough on KP-v108 I think. So I am up about 10 minor versions so I just had to ask to have an idea of where the limits are, you are releasing versions at the speed of light and thats amazing! 

Just now, Velve666 said:

Okay thank you, I started this JNSQ playthrough on KP-v108 I think. So I am up about 10 minor versions so I just had to ask to have an idea of where the limits are, you are releasing versions at the speed of light and thats amazing! 

I should clarify, upgrading is always safe.  It's downgrading that gets a limit on what I'd advise.

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version release-118:

1.) The longstanding bug in which PQS/terrain would sometimes flicker on bodies that weren't setup JUST RIGHT has been fixed. Now you can use whatever PQS maxlevel (and other settings) you want.  Rejoice!

Hello @R-T-B I admire your persistence fixing the Kopernicus :)

There is a experimental fix that I used for SpaceX-RO-Falcons:

in K:\Kopernicus\src\Kopernicus\Components\KopernicusStar.cs you have this mention: (//Why is this happening?)

// Get "Correct" values
            try
            {
                flightIntegrator.BaseFICalculateSunBodyFlux();
            }
            catch
            {
                //Why is this happening?  <--------LINE 382
            }

I fixed this commenting these lines:

FILE:K:\ModularFlightIntegrator\ModularFlightIntegrator.cs

protected override void CalculateSunBodyFlux()
        {
            if (calculateSunBodyFluxPre != null)
            {
                calculateSunBodyFluxPre(this);
            }

if (calculateSunBodyFluxOverride == null)
            {
                base.CalculateSunBodyFlux();
            }
            //else
            //{
                //calculateSunBodyFluxOverride(this);
            //}

if (calculateSunBodyFluxPost != null)
            {
                calculateSunBodyFluxPost(this);
            }
        }

From my side this stop the spamming of 200 exceptions per second, which compromise the performance and make KSP.log larger :)

I hope I had helped a bit.

Cheers!

Edited by pmborg

15 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Hello @R-T-B I admire your persistence fixing the Kopernicus :)

There is a experimental fix that I used for SpaceX-RO-Falcons:

in K:\Kopernicus\src\Kopernicus\Components\KopernicusStar.cs you have this mention: (//Why is this happening?)

// Get "Correct" values
            try
            {
                flightIntegrator.BaseFICalculateSunBodyFlux();
            }
            catch
            {
                //Why is this happening?  <--------LINE 382
            }

I fixed this commenting these lines:

FILE:K:\ModularFlightIntegrator\ModularFlightIntegrator.cs

protected override void CalculateSunBodyFlux()
        {
            if (calculateSunBodyFluxPre != null)
            {
                calculateSunBodyFluxPre(this);
            }

if (calculateSunBodyFluxOverride == null)
            {
                base.CalculateSunBodyFlux();
            }
            //else
            //{
                //calculateSunBodyFluxOverride(this);
            //}

if (calculateSunBodyFluxPost != null)
            {
                calculateSunBodyFluxPost(this);
            }
        }

From my side this stop the spamming of 200 exceptions per second, which compromise the performance and make KSP.log larger :)

I hope I had helped a bit.

Cheers!

Interesting.  I will see to it that if this passes testing, it will be in the next bugfix.  Thank you very much.

EDIT:  Oh wait, that's ModularFlightIntegrator.  I really need to make a PR to @sarbian to do those changes, I am not the maintainer.  We either need to get a hold of him, or request to take over maintenance.  I'll see about that.

Edited by R-T-B

16 hours ago, R-T-B said:

JNSQ seems particularly...  green at the KSC.

That's the biggest understatement of the week lol. I came here just to confirm whether you are the one responsible for burning my eyes with that uranium-colored goo... glad to know I am not going color blind yet. :grin:

21 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

That's the biggest understatement of the week lol. I came here just to confirm whether you are the one responsible for burning my eyes with that uranium-colored goo... glad to know I am not going color blind yet. :grin:

I am.  I'm still not sure the cause.  Reverting one version will save you until I have a fix.

Ironically, it only seems to affect JNSQ Kerbin, which is really really odd...

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-119:

1.) The last PQS patch somehow broke a single mod (JNSQ). The way in which the breakage occurred was for a long time a mystery, but we finally narrowed it down to the atlas shader applying to a parameter (createColors) that is used on Kerbin and is now somehow forced on on Kerbin templates after the PQS fix. This is not a widely used parameter, so the workaround we have developed is to force createColors off on modded Kerbin worlds. Feedback welcome.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed on homeworlds, it is forced off. Feedback is welcome on this decision, but it is better than the bug we had before (it being forced on and creating neon worlds). Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but I am open to being proven wrong.

New in this latest version release-120:

1.) The last patch featured a nice regression where gas giants turned Jool green. Fixed. Now some sleep.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed on homeworlds, it is forced off. Feedback is welcome on this decision, but it is better than the bug we had before (it being forced on and creating neon worlds). Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but I am open to being proven wrong.

New in this latest version release-122:

1.) Improved the Kerbin-specific workarounds for the PQS flickering fix to avoid loadloop erros, and also help with regards to rescales (they produced black terrain).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Now I actually sleep, lol.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably found a bug in a 1.2.1 testing phase

You can download it.  It had problems... lol.

That said we are finally back to being stable I think.

New in this latest version release-123:

1.) Final round of improvements to the JNSQ-specific workarounds for the PQS flickering fix to avoid loadloop erros, and also help with regards to rescales (they produced black terrain).

2.) Holy crap this is actually stable now. #Famouslastwords

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version release-123:

1.) Final round of improvements to the JNSQ-specific workarounds for the PQS flickering fix to avoid loadloop erros, and also help with regards to rescales (they produced black terrain).

2.) Holy crap this is actually stable now. #Famouslastwords

Don't know if this is the black terrain bug you're referring to but still present on RSS/RO/RP-1 + HangarExtender (I also have Kerbal Konstructs and RSS-Canaveral HD installed if they're relevant.

Spoiler

rL0JsjA.jpg

2 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Don't know if this is the black terrain bug you're referring to but still present on RSS/RO/RP-1 + HangarExtender (I also have Kerbal Konstructs and RSS-Canaveral HD installed if they're relevant.

Hide contents

rL0JsjA.jpg

That is indeed the one.  Looks like I need to do another patch.  Darn.  Can I get a KSP.log from you just to confirm something?  Then I'll work on a fix.  I'd like this fix to cover all cases though, and a log would help me not spend more time playing whack-a-mole.

EDIT:  Not a Kopernicus issue afterall, from KSP-RO Discord:

kFwRPUj.png

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-124:

1.) Fixed a bug where using some templates without a LandControl node and failing to declare a LandControl node would result in a failure to load.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-125:

1.) Added a new version of the Sinking-terrain body fix that works in a lot more instances (always?). It works by disabling colliders that are "out of bounds" for the current scene (more distant than say, stock eeloo). This incurs a small performance hit to keep track of their state for reenabling, but is configurable.

2.) Added a new Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter, DisableFarAwayColliders, Default True, Boolean. Disables distant colliders farther away than stock eeloo. This fixes the distant body sinking bug, but keeping track of the collider state has a slight performance penalty. Advised to keep on unless you have a small system.

3.) Some garbage collection optimizations for the Biome filter.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed, it is forced on to avoid another bug. Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but I am open to being proven wrong. You can work around this if affected by setting your LandControl color to be all zeroes.

New in this latest version release-126:

1.) Corrected a bug which could result in a situation in which the DisableFarAwayColliders setting being set to false would be ignored.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed, it is forced on to avoid another bug. Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but I am open to being proven wrong. You can work around this if affected by setting your LandControl color to be all zeroes.

New in this latest version release-127:

1.) Performance optimizations for the new collider fix.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-128:

1.) A bug was locking colliders in state on the mainbody. Normally this is harmless, but mods that like to change collider states (RSS/RP1 has one such thing) may not like this. It's now fixed.

2.) DisableFarAwayColliders is now false by default until we can better test it (existing configs will stay the same). Turn it on if and only if you really need the sinking body fix, and are willing to deal with potential bugs.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4 hours ago, modus said:

@R-T-Bis this what you mean in the caveats, number 4?

Yes.  Due to a PQS flicker fix createColors is being forced on.   We tried workarounds to avoid this but it is...  tricky.  The mod authors should most likely set color = 0,0,0,0 in their land control nodes.  Or you can just use the patch they linked.

We hope to have that fixed in a less awkward form someday, but for now it beats having PQS terrain flicker.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-129:

1.) A couple potential bugs and performance issues with the collider fix have been patched. Collider fix is still off by default, and is only advisable if you have a system larger than stock Eeloo in orbital radius.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is off by default. If you have a system larger than stock, please see Kopernicus_Config.cfg option DisableFarAwayColliders, read about the fix/workaround, and set it as you feel appropriate.