[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

Hello,

is it possible to disable the zipping of logs at KSP startup?
It seems it takes a while  to compress 40MB ModuleManager.ConfigCache and the 25MB KSP.log file on each startup...
Would be nice to be able to disable the zipping as long the zip isn't needed... but I didn't found an option in Kopernicus_Config.cfg.

Edit: Nevermind... it seems the zip is generated in the  end... so that's not one of the things delaying the startup.

BR
Jebs_SY

Edited by Jebs_SY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry all, I know I've been somewhat absent lately.  To be frank, Kopernicus will likely be in "maintainence mode" for some time with bugfix support only due to increased workload at home.  That and a new puppy that is taking a lot of training (but is also a lot of fun!)

I would ask if others that are capable can look over support request log files for now, and where possible, spot the obvious things, that'd be a great contribution you can do to help this project.  I'll try to be back at it shortly.  I still want to do one final bugfix for a few fixable things before KSP 2 is upon us.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, OhioBob said:

has @*,* ever been tested to assure that it works?  Perhaps you should do something like this just to cover all the bases:

It worked for me with a module manager as of a month ago.  I'd hazard a guess his is older, or maybe something newer broke it...  But perhaps I will change it in the next version just to be sure.

Edited by R-T-B

This is a beta release of some planned fixes for distant heating bugs, amongst other heating system issues, please test.  Please note these fixes were contributed so testing is especially needed here.

Hi everyone,
Having an issue with Kopernicus not loading rings other than faint/ghost images. Suggestions?
As a note, I do have my rendering quite low and textures on about 1/8th just in case it might be a graphical setting issue. 

Img link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JOATpdSqMjixQBO1pXiZ4q1IoHa5qrTh/view?usp=sharing

Edited by FullOfStars

On 10/31/2022 at 5:11 AM, FullOfStars said:

Hi everyone,
Having an issue with Kopernicus not loading rings other than faint/ghost images. Suggestions?
As a note, I do have my rendering quite low and textures on about 1/8th just in case it might be a graphical setting issue. 

Img link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JOATpdSqMjixQBO1pXiZ4q1IoHa5qrTh/view?usp=sharing

That's odd.  What platform are you on?  It isn't an OpenGL one is it? (linux / mac)

On 11/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, FullOfStars said:

Sorry forgot to update, looks like its only with an old Sentar pack. Must be a difference in textures or such, other rings are working. 

They may be tiled rings.  IIRC those types have been broken for a bit, and I don't have the knowledge to fix it unfortunately.

Also, minor PSA here:

Please Please please if Kopernicus is not loading, check if you have RSS and Parallax installed together, it seems these are incompatible without a custom pack and/or a lot of work.  I've gotten way too many bug reports that end in that conclusion.

Edited by R-T-B

26 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

This is because you have Parallax and GU installed.  AFAIK, Parallax only supports the stock planets natively.  You'd need to find a support pack of some kind to use something else.

This goes for everyone installing Parallax, as I'm getting a lot of similar error reports like this:   Unless you know what you are doing, assume parallax works with stock planets only!

Just now, R-T-B said:

This is because you have Parallax and GU installed.  AFAIK, Parallax only supports the stock planets natively.  You'd need to find a support pack of some kind to use something else.

This goes for everyone installing Parallax, as I'm getting a lot of similar error reports like this:   Unless you know what you are doing, assume parallax works with stock planets only!

Dang, you'd think parallax would have something that only applies it to supported planets.

1 minute ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Dang, you'd think parallax would have something that only applies it to supported planets.

Oh wait, does GU only add planets?  Then maybe that's alright...  I'm still getting up to speed on parallax.  I know it fights with RSS and other system replacers though.

If that DOESN'T fix your issue post back here and I'll take a second look.

Edited by R-T-B

4 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Oh wait, does GU only add planets?  Then maybe that's alright...  I'm still getting up to speed on parallax.  I know it fights with RSS and other system replacers though.

I believe GU allows system switching, so that might be it.

14 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

If that DOESN'T fix your issue post back here and I'll take a second look.

10 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:
15 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I believe GU allows system switching, so that might be it.

This is because the parallax config of GU is written for older parallax, which means it doesn't support parallax 2. To fix the issue, either GU needs to update its parallax configs or you need to roll back to parallax 1.

9 minutes ago, Jason Kerman said:

This is because the parallax config of GU is written for older parallax, which means it doesn't support parallax 2. To fix the issue, either GU needs to update its parallax configs or you need to roll back to parallax 1.

Couldn't I delete GU's parallax configs?

Hello @R-T-B

A question to about the Kopernicus Shadows. Upon zooming out Kopernicus switches to a more simplistic shadow creation (it's kinda a sphere around the camera. This results in some slightly unpleasant effects on big vessels, whose parts partially leave this detail-sphere. Can I increase the spheresize by a parameter, eg. double the camera distance upon the shadows switch to simple mode? I tried fiddeling with the shadowvalue (default 25000) in the config, but apparently it was not the value i was looking for. Can I increase the detail-sphere somehow without changing the distance of casted shadows? I think, I have enough computing power, to render the detailed shadows also when zooming out a bit more.

Please don't missunderstand: No complaint, just a question if I can optimize my visuals a little bit more.

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Hello @R-T-B

A question to about the Kopernicus Shadows. Upon zooming out Kopernicus switches to a more simplistic shadow creation (it's kinda a sphere around the camera. This results in some slightly unpleasant effects on big vessels, whose parts partially leave this detail-sphere. Can I increase the spheresize by a parameter, eg. double the camera distance upon the shadows switch to simple mode? I tried fiddeling with the shadowvalue (default 25000) in the config, but apparently it was not the value i was looking for. Can I increase the detail-sphere somehow without changing the distance of casted shadows? I think, I have enough computing power, to render the detailed shadows also when zooming out a bit more.

Please don't missunderstand: No complaint, just a question if I can optimize my visuals a little bit more.

The shadows are based on stock unity shadow cascades, and indeed, more tuning can be done than just the distance parameter I expose.  This is planned for the next upcoming release, in the next few weeks.  That release will contain a few new solar flux options (more realistic flux vs stock gameplay with a toggle to turn on the more scientifically acurate ones, you can see the new model on the bleeding edge right now), a few bugfixes, and a bunch of new shadow parameters similar to what scatterer offers (but without the heavy atmo scatterer part).

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

The shadows are based on stock unity shadow cascades, and indeed, more tuning can be done than just the distance parameter I expose.  This is planned for the next upcoming release, in the next few weeks.  That release will contain a few new solar flux options (more realistic flux vs stock gameplay with a toggle to turn on the more scientifically acurate ones, you can see the new model on the bleeding edge right now), a few bugfixes, and a bunch of new shadow parameters similar to what scatterer offers (but without the heavy atmo scatterer part).

Will it be possible in a future kopernicus release to increase the detailed-shadow-sphere around the camera? Or is this locked behind unity's stock shadow cascade mechanisms? 

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Will it be possible in a future kopernicus release to increase the detailed-shadow-sphere around the camera? Or is this locked behind unity's stock shadow cascade mechanisms? 

Unity's shadow cascade system can do something like that but I'm no expert on the exact settings to get there.  You'll have the tools to experiment though.  I must caution you though it is possible, nothing is "free" here.  It will likely come at the expense of shadow casting distance, performance, or both.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, astro-french-fries said:

I have a problem with Kopernicus in 1.12.4

I think the warning explains your problem well enough.  Also, I think you'll find JNSQ is not confirmed to be compatible with the latest versions of Kopernicus.  You should probably downgrade to the appropriate version described in that thread.