[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

That's very interesting.  May be some mod interaction playing up badly with the rewrite, as I do not see it in pure stock (or in my fairly custom modset I play with). A log file would help me investigate.

This is still happening with 68. It appears to be a conflict with PersistentThrust on a get direction call. Log is linked below:

KSP_Kopernicus68-PersistentThrust_Conflict.log

17 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Try the new release and see if that goes away. :)

Will do it today, but not right now. Thank you.
Also, yes. I don't use hyperedit and I never messed with physics delta time.

---
Ok, rechecked with build 68. On-load performance is fine now. No 100% GPU for first several minutes.
I increased scatter density from 15% to 100% for now. Seems to be ok. My CPU/GPU can handle it now with Paralax and Spectra enabled - it was much worser before.
After another 20km on the Mun the stones are ok. They are not flying now.
Kerbin trees are ok too.

Edited by SuppaTenko
new build check

15 hours ago, SuppaTenko said:

Will do it today, but not right now. Thank you.
Also, yes. I don't use hyperedit and I never messed with physics delta time.

---
Ok, rechecked with build 68. On-load performance is fine now. No 100% GPU for first several minutes.
I increased scatter density from 15% to 100% for now. Seems to be ok. My CPU/GPU can handle it now with Paralax and Spectra enabled - it was much worser before.
After another 20km on the Mun the stones are ok. They are not flying now.
Kerbin trees are ok too.

This is good.  I think the initial 100% GPU load at level start was causing some kind of race condition CPU wise as a side effect, resulting in the floaters.  Should not happen now, fingers crossed.

Edited by R-T-B

So... A little situation report after a ~week of active playing.
Build 68 works overall better on my rig. But with some limitations. I still encounter flying stones like on picture from my previous post. But they are extremely rare. And I start to think that Kopernicus is not the root of evil here. I mean, that exact stones could be broken from the very beginning in vanilla :huh:
Regarding shadows bug... In past versions I had overall medium-low performance and never actually directly experienced it. Build 68 changed it - for most of the situations I have stable FPS in green zone now. But in some cases it goes down and fries my GPU. The only way to solve it is to make craft's shadow invisible or just not-so-visible by any way possible. For example, to change camera angle - sometimes just a little bit. Or to look away with mousewheel button. Or move camera angle beneath the ground or near it - to makeshadow look thin.  And  sometimes you just need to zoom in or zoom out, to reload quicksave or to go EVA, walk around rover and come back.
The general rule is less shadows you can see - more FPS you get. Sometimes it kicks right after game load. And sometimes everything works just fine for hours if I don't quickload\change craft\go to KSC and back.
So i can't find direct way to reproduce it for you. Sun height and shadows length? Well, yesterday I drove 10km on Eve without any lags just before the sunset. And today I had lags right in the midday with shortest shadows.
I  don't even know if we are talking about the same bug here, to be honest.
PS. Can you possibly make a 'secret config switch' to disable vessel shadows rendering? I can live without them just fine for a time being :lol:

On 12/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, *MajorTom* said:

dear author, when can we expect an update for 1.12.3?

Some time this weekend.  Sorry for the delay on that update, it's been a busy week.  FWIW despite the warning the build seems to work fine.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:25 AM, SuppaTenko said:

PS. Can you possibly make a 'secret config switch' to disable vessel shadows rendering? I can live without them just fine for a time being

This might be possible, but will need more time to confirm.  (Actually it's certainly possible but it's all about how much work it'd be)

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-69:

1.) Upped the value of the minor 1.12.x version check since all seems well with 1.12.3.

Known Bugs:

1.) The ingame shadows without an external mod like scatterer can be glitchy. It is advisable to use an external mod for best experience at the moment.

2.) Land scatters can appear at incorrect elevations if you don't use Kopernicus option "UsePureStockSCatters," which sadly, only works on pure stock systems.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not benefit from this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Nice.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:
3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not benefit from this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

What exactly is this caveat? Landing gears will sink into planets that are very far away?

Why does the MakingLessHistory mod fix this issue?

Small hotfix, guys.

@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-70:

1.) Correct warning dialog displaying despite last update to remove it on 1.12.3 (oops!).

Known Bugs:

1.) The ingame shadows without an external mod like scatterer can be glitchy. It is advisable to use an external mod for best experience at the moment.

2.) Land scatters can appear at incorrect elevations if you don't use Kopernicus option "UsePureStockSCatters," which sadly, only works on pure stock systems.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

18 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

What exactly is this caveat? Landing gears will sink into planets that are very far away?

Why does the MakingLessHistory mod fix this issue?

To answer your question, we've been investigating that bug for months and the rationale behind it still remains a mystery.  But yes you have it right.

22 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

So for now, scatters outside the stock system might still float but will be fully fixed soon?

scatters should not float at all, but I have heard some reports of very rare occurances of it I am still investigating.  If it happens at all it'd be very uncommon.

Distance or stock system is unrelated to that problem with the new rewritten scatter system I am using.

I am having an issue with scansat contracts not showing up for OPM but they do show up for MPE. The addwatchdog patch is causing it but why only for one planet pack and not the other?  

I have found rocks floating too and its not really rare. Performance tends to be lower around planets too. Once I get below an altitude of 100m FPS jumps from 15 to 50 in some cases. I do want to say however that It is not tested properly yet because i was just playing the game. 

Edited by dave1904

On 12/25/2021 at 2:23 PM, dave1904 said:

Performance tends to be lower around planets too.

This is the land scatters subsystem kicking in.  It's stil not perfect, but it is being worked on.  Lowering the density can help in the meantime.

On 12/25/2021 at 2:23 PM, dave1904 said:

I have found rocks floating too and its not really rare.

I've heard mixed reports of this as well.  It seems some packs do something that make it far more common than others....  which is unfortunate as it was supposed to be completely fixed with this release.  Darn.  I'll take another look at this whole system soon.

Edited by R-T-B

On 12/28/2021 at 3:55 AM, R-T-B said:

This is the land scatters subsystem kicking in.  It's stil not perfect, but it is being worked on.  Lowering the density can help in the meantime.

I also just found that the newest version of KSPCommunityFixes has a patch that removes the useless stock maneuver tool and that has an impact on kopernicus systems apparently. I am sure you are aware but others that look here should also be always reminded. :) I have so many mods that its impossible to keep track and I do not want CKAN. 4000 hours in and never used it. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, dave1904 said:

I also just found that the newest version of KSPCommunityFixes has a patch that removes the useless stock maneuver tool and that has an impact on kopernicus systems apparently. I am sure you are aware but others that look here should also be always reminded. :) I have so many mods that its impossible to keep track and I do not want CKAN. 4000 hours in and never used it. 

Yes, the stock manuaver tool freezes the game when you go to extremely far away bodies.  No idea why or the technical nature of it, but I DID help identify the bug.  Gotmachine fixed it.  We communicate and I often punt things that are bugs in the stock code over to him, as I'm unwilling to mess with that type of bug, but he is.

Edited by R-T-B

On 12/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, dave1904 said:

I have so many mods that its impossible to keep track and I do not want CKAN. 4000 hours in and never used it.

At some point you're going to have to recreate your install as it's almost certain it'll become crufty and you'll have issues that you can't fix.  Every upgrade of a mod is a potential game breaker.

Back when I was modding completely manually, I kept an organized tree of the mods I downloaded and I installed them into a KSP copy with with JSGME, an abaondonware mod manager.  But that was way too much effort, so I switched to CKAN.  Now I only use JSGME to add in a few mods that aren't in CKAN as well as metamodding the CKAN mods.  I understand how this all works and can do so such that I get what I want.

I would highly suggest you consider trying CKAN, perhaps in a new fresh install directory of KSP.  I've long used other tools like it, like Debian apt, and it is the way to go with keeping this complex structure working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.  Sorry for my abscence, holidays took their toll and all that.

I'll be getting back to work where I left off, working on scatter pefrormance one last time.  Then, the roadmap is to mess with shadows (hopefully in a positive way), and then KittopiaTech.

Edited by R-T-B

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @R-T-B@HafCoJoe  I am using Spectra and I noticed there were no asteroids spawning. I need them for contracts. The existing ones in my save stayed, but no new ones came. I found this github issue and simply changing the parameter restored  the stock functionality.

I hope you could come up with a more direct solution though...  asteroids and comets just break without warning.

22 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Hello @R-T-B@HafCoJoe  I am using Spectra and I noticed there were no asteroids spawning. I need them for contracts. The existing ones in my save stayed, but no new ones came. I found this github issue and simply changing the parameter restored  the stock functionality.

I hope you could come up with a more direct solution though...  asteroids and comets just break without warning.

It may be worth making a "message of the day" for big changes in Kopernicus that would show once, and be dismissable.  We've had a few things that require user intervention like that to work right, and many users may miss it if I only say "do this" in the release notes.  I'll think about it going forward.

Update re the scatter rework:  It's going on the backburner for right now in the short term to get some shadow bugfixing done.  I'm not abandoning it, it's just taking way too long and there are some other simpler things I'd like to do with some smaller point releases.  Expect once such release soon, addressing shadow complaints.

EDIT:  Decided to release what I have on the shadow rework now, and solicit feedback:

New in this latest version release-71:

1.) More shadow related bugfixes, as always somewhat experimental. Please report back results on how good/bad they work. In my testing, it does seem improved.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B