[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I dont have an idea but I was able to recreate the issue after noticing a minor detail in the logs: @SpaceInvader dont have any DLC installed and after removing them from my game, my KSC got burried under ground or started floating as soon as I reload any savegame.

So these are the exact steps I took:

-fresh install of KSP 1.11.1
-installed kopernicus, MFI und MM through CKAN
-removed the "SquadExpansion" directoy from my install
-removed physics.cfg und settings.cfg (just becasue I dont know if they contain any presets for the DLCs)
-launched the game and started a new career savegame
-created a quicksave at the KSC
-load the quicksave

-> KSC is mostly underground, after another reload it was gone at all and after a third reload it was floating, exactly like in the screenshots of SpaceInvader.

I have absolutely no idea how the DLCs are connected to this issue but maybe you can recreate the bug now and get an idea :)

This is the best lead we  have, I think.  Were you able to return to "normal" after this bug out experience?

Just now, SpacedInvader said:

I appreciate everyone putting effort into this, really hoping we can get it figured out and it doesn't mean I have to reinstall windows or something drastic like that.

I know that feeling.  Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Edited by R-T-B

1 minute ago, SpacedInvader said:

Cleaning the registry and doing a full reinstall of KSP + BG had no affect on the issue

KSP to my knowledge doesn't make any registry entries.  Part of why this is so weird...  It's almost like the installers you are using are corrupt.

Where are you getting your installs from?  Steam?  GOG?  Squad?  Somewhere less known?  As long as it's legal, no judgement lol.

And yes I fully admit I am possibly grasping at straws.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

KSP to my knowledge doesn't make any registry entries.  Part of why this is so weird...  It's almost like the installers you are using are corrupt.

Where are you getting your installs from?  Steam?  GOG?  Squad?  Somewhere less known?  As long as it's legal, no judgement lol.

Direct downloads from Squad. I've tried both the installer version and the zip version.

2 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Direct downloads from Squad. I've tried both the installer version and the zip version.

Well if there is anyone who'd get it right, it's squad.  So nope.  Let me play with removing expansions and see if I can't make it happen on my end.  Because if I can make it happen, maybe I can fix it.

EDIT:  Ok, so I can replicate this using the procedure posted by @4x4cheesecake

once it happens too, I can't escape EXCEPT by going to main menu and returning to load the save from there.

Does this help you?  Or not?  I don't really consider that an acceptable work around but maybe it's progress.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

Well if there is anyone who'd get it right, it's squad.  So nope.  Let me play with removing expansions and see if I can't make it happen on my end.  Because if I can make it happen, maybe I can fix it.

Sounds good, I've got my fingers crossed

5 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

once it happens too, I can't escape EXCEPT by going to main menu and returning to load the save from there.

Does this help you?  Or not?  I don't really consider that an acceptable work around but maybe it's progress.

By escape do you mean accessing the escape menu, or do you mean getting KSC back above ground?

Yeah I could replicate it, but I don't get it to the same unescapable severity you do.  A "back to main menu space screen, reload" fixes it.

Still, I'm seeing if I can't fix the bug in general.  Then maybe it'll treat your symptoms as well?

I'm hoping so.

Edited by R-T-B

6 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah I could replicate it, but I don't get it to the same unescapable severity you do.  A "back to main menu space screen, reload" fixes it.

Still, I'm seeing if I can't fix the bug in general.  Then maybe it'll treat your symptoms as well?

I'm hoping so.

Ahh yes, I suppose I wasn't clear in my original description of the issue... loading the save from the main menu would always place KSC back on the surface. My concern is that there is something deeper going on and I'm hesitant to use this going forward, especially since I use KCT and KRASH together in my main career save which results in lots of short term reloading and I'm not sure what effect that would have on the save file overall.

EDIT: The moving terrain with repeated reloads was the result of attempting to load the save from the KSC multiple times

Edited by SpacedInvader

7 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Ahh yes, I suppose I wasn't clear in my original description of the issue... loading the save from the main menu would always place KSC back on the surface. My concern is that there is something deeper going on and I'm hesitant to use this going forward, especially since I use KCT and KRASH together in my main career save which results in lots of short term reloading and I'm not sure what effect that would have on the save file overall.

EDIT: The moving terrain with repeated reloads was the result of attempting to load the save from the KSC multiple times

Oh no, this is a long known issue.  It doesn't corrupt the save or anything (as long as you don't play on a "sunken load"), but it's annoying admitedly.  You have to reload a few times or go to the main menu, it's been that way for a while.

I'm working on a potential fix now.  Thanks for motivating me to do it, if nothing else.  It's especially bad if you don't own making history, for some reason, and I don't want to require that.

Edited by R-T-B

7 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Oh no, this is a long known issue.  It doesn't corrupt the save or anything (as long as you don't play on a "sunken load"), but it's annoying admitedly.  You have to reload a few times or go to the main menu, it's been that way for a while.

I'm working on a potential fix now.  Thanks for motivating me to do it, if nothing else.  It's especially bad if you don't own making history, for some reason, and I don't want to require that.

I see, though I'm still concerned about the crash that triggered all of this since it was working fine for about two weeks prior to this and then suddenly the bug has manifested everywhere for me. I'm still trying to search for information about whether or not the unity player stores some temporary files anywhere that could have gotten corrupted or "stuck" when the crash occurred, but finding information about that is proving difficult. I'm actually considering trying to join a unity developer forum to ask there in the hopes someone might be willing to help. That said though, I'm very appreciative of the effort you're putting in here and if a solution can be found to a long standing bug as a result of all of this, then I suppose its an overall positive result.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Oh.  This is an issue that's been around forever, long before @R-T-Btook on Kopernicus.  I think there are even ways to make it kick in without using Kopernicus...  As I recall, this was found to be a unity problem with how it interacts with renderers, something to do with processing heights (Z coordinates?) relative versus explicit, similar to textures "Z-Fighting" on parts.  Or I could be remembering something else.  I has been a few years.

14 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Oh.  This is an issue that's been around forever, long before @R-T-Btook on Kopernicus.  I think there are even ways to make it kick in without using Kopernicus...  As I recall, this was found to be a unity problem with how it interacts with renderers, something to do with processing heights (Z coordinates?) relative versus explicit, similar to textures "Z-Fighting" on parts.  Or I could be remembering something else.  I has been a few years.

Yeah, after messing this certainly isn't something I can fix tonight.  I can only confirm that not having Breaking Ground installed makes it worse.  We'll return to this issue later.

29 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

I see, though I'm still concerned about the crash that triggered all of this since it was working fine for about two weeks prior to this and then suddenly the bug has manifested everywhere for me. I'm still trying to search for information about whether or not the unity player stores some temporary files anywhere that could have gotten corrupted or "stuck" when the crash occurred, but finding information about that is proving difficult. I'm actually considering trying to join a unity developer forum to ask there in the hopes someone might be willing to help. That said though, I'm very appreciative of the effort you're putting in here and if a solution can be found to a long standing bug as a result of all of this, then I suppose its an overall positive result.

I really doubt anything like that happened, but I guess anything is possible.  Sorry I can't offer more.

30 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

I don't suppose you might have some links to those old discussions? I searched for about an hour before posting my original messages and found basically nothing which is why I posted my initial question in like 4 places in the hopes of finding someone who might be able to help. I'm hoping there might be some information / solutions there that might be helpful in this current situation.

14 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah, after messing this certainly isn't something I can fix tonight.  I can only confirm that not having Breaking Ground installed makes it worse.  We'll return to this issue later.

I really doubt anything like that happened, but I guess anything is possible.  Sorry I can't offer more.

You're probably right, but it still seemed like too sudden of a change to have happened without some sort of cause. That said, I have hope that you'll be able to figure something out with the underlying bug eventually and at least you've clued me in on a decent workaround for the time being.

Thanks again for the help and putting in the effort to try to sort it out.

Here's another bug with KSRSS and Kopernicus v30: the Moon surface appears pitch-black. This bug is present in both 1.8.1 and 1.10.1 (haven't tried other versions). Removing Scatterer does not fix this.

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-l1kSh8cSSAS000WFU5blNwSFU/view?usp=sharing

Edited by biohazard15

1 hour ago, SpacedInvader said:

I don't suppose you might have some links to those old discussions? I searched for about an hour before posting my original messages and found basically nothing which is why I posted my initial question in like 4 places in the hopes of finding someone who might be able to help. I'm hoping there might be some information / solutions there that might be helpful in this current situation.

I dont have time at the moment, but it was probably 4 (+/- 1)  years ago.  Look for whichever updates were the ones where they updated Unity - I think that would be 1.3 and then1.8?  Searching the old (original) EVE and Scatterer forum threads is where I think I remember reading it.  It still happens (KSC under water) sometimes ans changing scene usually does it, or else an F5-F9 cycle usually fixes it.  Advantage of being older = I know stuff happened before, disadvantage = I sometimes can't quickly recall exactly when LOL.

Edited by Murdabenne

22 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Here's another bug with KSRSS and Kopernicus v30: the Moon surface appears pitch-black. This bug is present in both 1.8.1 and 1.10.1 (haven't tried other versions). Removing Scatterer does not fix this.

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-l1kSh8cSSAS000WFU5blNwSFU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks I appreciate it.  It's a bit late for a patch but I'll follow through on this tomorrow with any luck.

EDIT:  Actually I am unable to replicate this.  More in the KSRSS thread.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version (release-31)

1.) Removed a debugline that was causing logspam related lag.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

6 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This is the best lead we  have, I think.  Were you able to return to "normal" after this bug out experience?

6 hours ago, R-T-B said:

In case this is still relevant: yes, I can get back a normal state after switching back to the main menu and also after entering and leaving a building like the VAB or SPH but the KSC still starts floating after reloading a savegame again.

Glad to hear I was able to find a way for you to replicate the issue, I hope it may help to find a way to solve it or at least to find a viable workaround :)

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

In case this is still relevant: yes, I can get back a normal state after switching back to the main menu and also after entering and leaving a building like the VAB or SPH but the KSC still starts floating after reloading a savegame again.

I've never seen it myself, but it has been reported occasionally for years in RO/RP-1 threads (and I think I've also seen reports in other planet pack threads).  From memory the normal suggested workarounds are things like entering the tracking station, or doing a save/load cycle.

12 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'd try checking your install for corruption from the hard crash.  Kopernicus can't move the space center unless told to do so by a planet pack (the loading undegroundbug notwithstanding), so something else happened.  If after you confirm your install is fresh, you are still getting this, please send your KSP.log file from your install directory for me to analyze.

Nope, not dumb...  it should work with the latest release too!  Can I get a KSP.log to see why it doesn't?  It is found in your install directory.  The fact the author is recomending an old version should be something we can fix so they don't have to..  I'd like to try so you can get the other bugfix and performance goodies.

We do have a new release though, guys.  Fixes a small bug with land scatters...  in short given the right conditions, they'd stop spawning for some people.  Notes below, and in OP:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this

New in this latest version (release-29)

1.) This release corrects a race condition that prevented land scatterers from spawning under some circumstances, due to a misbehaving distance culler.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

do you want the log when it was breaking or the log when it has 1.8.1-1?

1 hour ago, ImperfectMrDogeIV said:

do you want the log when it was breaking or the log when it has 1.8.1-1?

I already fixed 1.8.1 support for KSRSS in the latest releases.  So you can skip that. :)

Edited by R-T-B

23 minutes ago, ImperfectMrDogeIV said:

https://imgur.com/WOnXnL5 Its very laggy because I was recording and I have not optimized EVE for saturn yet. 

Here is the log https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j8bw7ikpq6wlkv/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks, will try to fix this.  It seems to be isolated to Mac.  Should be an easy fix.

@ImperfectMrDogeIV,

I am going to PM you a test build with a fix for the rings issue.  I don't have a mac so you are my best tester for this, please advise if it fixes.  Incoming in a few minutes.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version (release-32)

1.) Fixed a bug on saveload that could cause the KSC to sink (purely cosmetic, but still annoying).

2.) Tried to fix the ringshader on MacOS builds. This is largely untested, and may see a followup patch based on user feedback (will only impact Mac Users).

Known Bugs:

@SpacedInvader, this build may interest you.

Edited by R-T-B