[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

New in this latest version release-136:

1.) Fixed a bug in Kopernicus's allowedBiomes LandClass parameter that prevented the game from loading when it was used in conjunction with a reparented homeworld.

2.) Optimized several things related to the multistar solar logic (Thank you @JonnyOThan).  This may help large system performance (GU etc) in particular.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed, it is forced on to avoid another bug. Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but a few do (JNSQ for example). You can work around this if affected by setting your LandControl color to be all zeroes. See attatched cfg for a mod that does this.

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is off by default. If you have a system larger than stock, please see Kopernicus_Config.cfg option DisableFarAwayColliders, read about the fix/workaround, and set it as you feel appropriate.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-137:

1.) Fixed a bug in Kopernicus's star atmorim logic that would sometimes (rarely) point it to the wrong star.

2.) Optimized several MORE things related to the multistar solar logic, as well as other parts like flare logic, and removal of a lot of slow reflection code. (Thank you @JonnyOThan).

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed, it is forced on to avoid another bug. Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but a few do (JNSQ for example). You can work around this if affected by setting your LandControl color to be all zeroes. See attatched cfg for a mod that does this.

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is off by default. If you have a system larger than stock, please see Kopernicus_Config.cfg option DisableFarAwayColliders, read about the fix/workaround, and set it as you feel appropriate.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-138:

1.) Fixed a bug that prevented non-Kerbolar stock sunflares from appearing.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @R-T-B I've been troubleshooting some perplexing issues and I've tracked them to Kopernicus.

Issue 1: It is changing the shadow cascade behavior, producing sudden boundary changes in shadow "sharpness" within the shadow of the observed ship. This is pretty annoying with large ships because the boundary change is within the normal camera distance from the ship. This happens with stock too but further away so it's not so obvious. 

Spoiler

pBH7dsL.jpg

PEZJDh0.png

It's more obvious when moving the camera around. Scatterer does exactly the same thing, but it can be reverted to stock behavior by setting: long distance terrain shadows> shadow cascade splits> "0, 0, 0".  Is there setting for Kopernicus?  

Issue 2: It's adding some cloud layer effect to Eve that interferes with Spectra clouds... and the alarming part is this is not eliminated by removing Kopernicus and starting a new save game. Perhaps it's something left in Module Manager because it's still a dependency for Spectra so I can't remove that and still see the clouds. Finding this was a real bear.  It took several hours and multiple KSP installs. 

Spectra and Scatterer without Kopernicus: 

https://i.imgur.com/NBqgYQw.mp4

With or after Kopernicus:

https://youtu.be/OPJf7xPpRic

Issue 3: Kerbin's clouds sometimes disappear completely. I haven't tried to nail this down but I've seen it twice after loading a ship landed on Minmus and flying back toward Kerbin. I can't be certain it's Kopernicus.

I'm using all present versions of everything on Win 10. I started new installs with a verified stock Steam install and used CKAN to make a new instance and install the mods. If you want logs or anything let me know. I'm not sure what might help.

Update for issue 3: I think it's related to using KAC "jump to ship". I see it with a ship in Minmus SOI so it's not landed/ flight specific.

Edited by Krazy1
Update for issue 3

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Perhaps it's something left in Module Manager because it's still a dependency for Spectra so I can't remove that and still see the clouds.

Perhaps you should delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache.  The cache will rebuild the next time you launch KSP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 10:14 PM, modus said:

TOTM baby!

lol right when I got slammed with work.  I did not even notice!  Very cool!

On 8/1/2022 at 11:58 PM, Krazy1 said:

It's more obvious when moving the camera around. Scatterer does exactly the same thing, but it can be reverted to stock behavior by setting: long distance terrain shadows> shadow cascade splits> "0, 0, 0".  Is there setting for Kopernicus?  

No, but I could expose the cascade split settings in a future version if it's needed.  Right now I simply expose a simple distance parameter, which admittedly is a bit simple and limiting.

Anyways, new release now that I am freed from cubicle land:

New in this latest version release-139:

1.) Fixed a hard limit on vertices on scatters that would result in visual corruption on some mods (GU, etc).

2.) Readded atmospheric extinction as an option, using optimized code. See Kopernicus_Config.cfg GUI option EnableAtmosphericExtinction for details. Basically fine to turn on for planet packs without large numbers of worlds. False by default.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

On 8/12/2022 at 8:51 AM, R-T-B said:

No, but I could expose the cascade split settings in a future version if it's needed.  Right now I simply expose a simple distance parameter, which admittedly is a bit simple and limiting.

Thanks for all the updates. Honestly all I want is stock-alike shadows. I'm not sure why Kopernicus would be doing anything with shadows, but I really don't understand the scope of all these mods (Kopernicus, EVE, Scatterer, Parallax). 

Any ideas about the other 2 issues I mentioned? Weird Eve clouds and missing Kerbin clouds.

22 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Thanks for all the updates. Honestly all I want is stock-alike shadows. I'm not sure why Kopernicus would be doing anything with shadows, but I really don't understand the scope of all these mods (Kopernicus, EVE, Scatterer, Parallax). 

Any ideas about the other 2 issues I mentioned? Weird Eve clouds and missing Kerbin clouds.

i think for developers kopernicus is more like a planet building tool.  and then they release planet packs with planets made with this mod.  so you need this mod to run the planets. 

so i'm guessing to make all the visual effects on those other planets they need those elements (like shadows) in kopernicus.  

(oh i didn't know it would combine my comments into one. .  the below is a sepperate thing) 

i have tried looking through the comments but couldn't find anything.   

when i have non stock planets in my game.  then the planet orbits begin...  vibrating.   you have to look close but you can see it.  the planet itself also seems to vibrate in map mode.  

i have no idea what causes this.  (it's also easy to miss and you might just not have noticed it untill now)  

but i am starting a playthrough with galaxies unbound so i can't even imagine what kind of effect this would have on interstellar distances.     

is this a fermilliar problem and does anyone know a fix?   or should i just ignore it because it won't cause any issue's?

Edited by darkracer125

On 8/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, darkracer125 said:

vibrate in map mode

I think it could be the default TAA antialiasing in scatterer.  Try SMAA or the latest version that I think tried to fix it:

***********v0.0838***********
- Fix map view icons and UI elements jittering with TAA enabled (especially noticeable at low framerates)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

After returning to JNSQ after SLS  fiasco first two attempts I had neon green grass... After reading forums I copied colorFix.cfg to gamedata, no change. Bit more reading I noticed in JNSQ thread it says:

@Class,*

where as the colorFix says

@*,*

Editing the colorFix.cfg fixed the neon green grass.

Not sure if just me but might be a typo.

2 hours ago, Lathari said:

Hi

After returning to JNSQ after SLS  fiasco first two attempts I had neon green grass... After reading forums I copied colorFix.cfg to gamedata, no change. Bit more reading I noticed in JNSQ thread it says:

@Class,*

where as the colorFix says

@*,*

Editing the colorFix.cfg fixed the neon green grass.

Not sure if just me but might be a typo.

Interesting.  I would have thought @*,* would have worked.  Although JNSQ uses "Class", not all planet packs do.  Some use "Value", though it really doesn't matter name is used, it can be anything.  The first asterisk is suppose to be a wildcard that will work with any sub-node name, and the second asterisk is suppose to apply the change to all instances where that sub-node name appears.

@R-T-B, has @*,* ever been tested to assure that it works?  Perhaps you should do something like this just to cover all the bases:

@landClasses
					{
						@*,*
						{
							@color = 0,0,0,0
							@noiseColor = 0,0,0,0
						}
						@Class,*
						{
							@color = 0,0,0,0
							@noiseColor = 0,0,0,0
						}
						@Value,*
						{
							@color = 0,0,0,0
							@noiseColor = 0,0,0,0
						}
					}

I think I may have seen other posts where people have reported ColorFix.cfg not working, though I could be getting confused with something else.

Edited by OhioBob

Hey! Is it possible to edit the PQS maxLevel of the stock planets while letting the template define the rest of the PQS things? I'm trying to increase scatter density when the planets are scaled up by Sigma Dimensions.

I only seem to be able to edit PQS maxLevel while removePQS = true within the Template subnode. However I think this means I also need to define all the other PQS parameters. I don't know what these values are supposed to be to match stock so if these are known somewhere then that's another possible solution.

Query, because I am total confusion. 

So with Kopernicus, there's the option of using OnDemand textures, which is what gets displayed in orbital views and that makes sense to me. It follows that changing those textures results in changes in that particular scene. 

However, there is also the option of using VertexColorMaps, which to my understanding controls how the actual surface looks color wise, and that makes sense to me too, especially with the Blend option. 

So here's my issue. With KSRSS' Earth, it uses OnDemand to display the texture for the ocean, with the land textures alpha'd out, ie erased entirely. And that makes sense, as when it interacts with Scatterer, you don't have the land being unrealistically shiny. And thats cool, I'd like to keep that. 

But, the issue is, from what I can tell, the look of the land itself is thus derived from what is used for the VertexColorMap...or it isn't? Because when changing that texture, it does change the look of the actual surface scenes, which is okay, but for some reason on moving back to an orbital scene, it remains fixed to the original look. And I just cannot fathom what exactly is doing this or even why or how? Intuitively I would have thought it was something to do with the land classes, but looking at those settings, there isn't enough of them to be able to dictate the entire planet to look like it does, but even then none of the settings seem to be sophisticated enough to retain the look of the land completely differently from what the new texture looks like. 

I had thought that may be there was a second texture or some other config somewhere thats doing this, but I can't find squat. 

Essentially, what I'm wanting to do is change the actual color of the land (and thus texture itself) but without disrupting the the ability for JUST the ocean to be able to interact with scatterer.  I do know to clear out the cache when changing things, so it isn't an issue of an old bin being loaded in. 

Also tagging @ballisticfox0 as he may be able to help shed some light on the subject.

EDIT: I AM THE BIG DUMB. It occurred to me that I should have checked the alpha for EarthColor , and voila, there it is. Okay, easy fix! Disregard my confusion :D

Edited by G'th

3 hours ago, G'th said:

Query, because I am total confusion. 

So with Kopernicus, there's the option of using OnDemand textures, which is what gets displayed in orbital views and that makes sense to me. It follows that changing those textures results in changes in that particular scene. 

However, there is also the option of using VertexColorMaps, which to my understanding controls how the actual surface looks color wise, and that makes sense to me too, especially with the Blend option. 

So here's my issue. With KSRSS' Earth, it uses OnDemand to display the texture for the ocean, with the land textures alpha'd out, ie erased entirely. And that makes sense, as when it interacts with Scatterer, you don't have the land being unrealistically shiny. And thats cool, I'd like to keep that. 

But, the issue is, from what I can tell, the look of the land itself is thus derived from what is used for the VertexColorMap...or it isn't? Because when changing that texture, it does change the look of the actual surface scenes, which is okay, but for some reason on moving back to an orbital scene, it remains fixed to the original look. And I just cannot fathom what exactly is doing this or even why or how? Intuitively I would have thought it was something to do with the land classes, but looking at those settings, there isn't enough of them to be able to dictate the entire planet to look like it does, but even then none of the settings seem to be sophisticated enough to retain the look of the land completely differently from what the new texture looks like. 

I had thought that may be there was a second texture or some other config somewhere thats doing this, but I can't find squat. 

Essentially, what I'm wanting to do is change the actual color of the land (and thus texture itself) but without disrupting the the ability for JUST the ocean to be able to interact with scatterer.  I do know to clear out the cache when changing things, so it isn't an issue of an old bin being loaded in. 

Also tagging @ballisticfox0 as he may be able to help shed some light on the subject.

EDIT: I AM THE BIG DUMB. It occurred to me that I should have checked the alpha for EarthColor , and voila, there it is. Okay, easy fix! Disregard my confusion :D

Most planet packs use two different textures for bodies with oceans, a PQS colormap, which generally doesn't have a an alpha channel and sandy colored oceans, EarthSurface in this case. This is applied through the VertexColorMap pqs node.

Then there's a scaled space texture, which has blue oceans and an alpha channel for specularity, EarthColor in this case. This is applied through OnDemand or the Material ScaledVersion subnodes.

1 hour ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Most planet packs use two different textures for bodies with oceans, a PQS colormap, which generally doesn't have a an alpha channel and sandy colored oceans, EarthSurface in this case. This is applied through the VertexColorMap pqs node.

Then there's a scaled space texture, which has blue oceans and an alpha channel for specularity, EarthColor in this case. This is applied through OnDemand or the Material ScaledVersion subnodes.

Yep, the trick was hiding the land texture in the scaled space using the alpha channel. Easy enough to do, just never occurred to me to check that that was what it was doing.