[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

Kopernicus Continued Planetary System Modifier is a mod that provides for the graceful introduction of custom celestial bodies in Kerbal Space Program.

For those wondering, this is the new thread for the stable branch of Kopernicus under management of R-T-B.  @prestja's old thread can be considered closed, and will soon feature a redirect link to here.  This was done because @prestja though still a project member is busy with school and we did not want to bother him for every conceivable edit.

This is usually the Kopernicus you will want.  The bleeding edge branch that used to be the "one to get" is presently for beta tests only.  If you want a safe gameplay experience, stable is here with full broad version support!  Rejoice!

Downloads

Download Kopernicus here

Credit

Credit must be given to current collaborator @prestja as well as previous authors @Thomas P. , @Sigma88  and many others for their incredible work in building an elegant solution for bringing new worlds to KSP.

Source Code

Source code can be found on the GitHub repository

License

Kopernicus is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License

The last release notes may be found below:

New in this latest version release-198:

1.) Bugfix for incorrectly dark exported Kittopia Heightmaps. They are now set with an appropriate darkness floor. Rejoice people who use Kittopia!

2.) That's it, yes I know it's not much. Yes I know I also have a feature request backlog. I'll likely get to those next release. Which may be a lil bit due to a lot of work in real life. In the meantime, enjoy the patch.

See Known Bugs & Caveats for known bugs.

How to install Kopernicus:

Extract the proper version release zip file to your KSP install directory.  Replace anything if it asks.  Do not simply replace the Kopernicus.dll file, you may miss many parts of the update if you just selectively replace like that.  Extract the whole zip, please, or use CKAN.

PS:  We have a discord community, feel free to join us.

Edited by R-T-B

Unfortunately, release-27 failes to load in KSP 1.8.1. Tried updating through CKAN and manually installing the version found on github, always results in a massive exception spam. It happens in my highly modded JNSQ install:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/easwjzjtmqug1ue/Player (kopernicus_issue).log?dl=0

And also in a fresh copy of KSP with just kopernicus installed (github version, release-27, manually installed):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b429s3rdh9vr6gi/Player(kopernicus_issue_fresh_copy).log?dl=0

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Unfortunately, release-27 failes to load in KSP 1.8.1. Tried updating through CKAN and manually installing the version found on github, always results in a massive exception spam. It happens in my highly modded JNSQ install:

And also in a fresh copy of KSP with just kopernicus installed (github version, release-27, manually installed):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b429s3rdh9vr6gi/Player(kopernicus_issue_fresh_copy).log?dl=0

I'm getting exactly the same error in 1.8.1 with RSS, loads of NREs like this:

Spoiler

[EXC 10:15:53.516] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Templates..cctor () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Kopernicus.Templates' threw an exception.
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.Force3DRendering () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I've rolled back to 1.8.1-26 for now.

8 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

8 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I'm getting exactly the same error in 1.8.1 with RSS, loads of NREs like this:

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 10:15:53.516] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Templates..cctor () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Kopernicus.Templates' threw an exception.
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.Force3DRendering () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <08e4b33e6fb944f796a6d6183a7ba3eb>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I've rolled back to 1.8.1-26 for now.

There'll be a hotfix for this shortly, thanks for the notice.  This only seems to be an issue with the 1.8.1 bundle which is how we missed it.

EDIT:  I hotfixed it live, as well as fixed a CKAN versioning error.  Please redownload.  The issue was the System.cfg shipped with the wrong line endings, which changed the file hash and triggered a safety check.  Doh!

Edited by R-T-B

42 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

There'll be a hotfix for this shortly, thanks for the notice.  This only seems to be an issue with the 1.8.1 bundle which is how we missed it.

EDIT:  I hotfixed it live, as well as fixed a CKAN versioning error.  Please redownload.  The issue was the System.cfg shipped with the wrong line endings, which changed the file hash and triggered a safety check.  Doh!

Thanks for the quick fix :)

As far as I can tell, it works fine now :)

New hotfix to fix some CKAN versioning issues, it is otherwise 100% identical:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this

New in this latest version (release-28)

1.) This release corrects a CKAN versioing error and is otherwise identical to version 28. The release notes below are the same from here.

2.) 1.10.1 and 1.11.1 support has been added to stable branch.

3.) Kopernicus_Config.cfg now accepts parameter UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem with accepted values "true" (default, use Kopernicus Custom Asteroid Generator and scrub Sentinel contracts), "false" (use external mod asteroid generator, or none at all), and "stock" (uses stock game generator, only good for stock system). These values are case insensitive and DO NOT use quotes.

4.) Various vetted bugfixes to many things (shaders, solar code, etc) from the bleeding edge have been imported. This fixes nearly all known bugs across all platforms (other than those listed below), and should result in a very stable experience.

5.) Performance improvements were managed as well, also taken from tested bleeding edge experiments.

6.) ModularFlightIntegrator updated to latest mainline 1.2.9 (you may update this with updates sourced from Sarbian freely).

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Edited by R-T-B

10 minutes ago, Shawn Kerman said:

Great work R-T-B, It's good that the BE branch has gone stable. I bet their will be a lot of people asking about mods and their compatibility with this build.

The truth is whether authors know it or not, this is designed to work with any planet mod that works with 1.8.1.

There's an important caveat though.  That's just for Kopernicus stuff.  If the planet mod depends on other dlls, all bets are off.  Only way is to try and see, really.

And naturally, if a mod isn't running on a version the author doesn't support, don't bug them about it.  Bug me.  I'll be interested but it's obviously "not their problem" if they don't support it.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, Ciko said:

It not load RSS planets - only vanilla . MAybe it cause I`m use GAME KSP 1.11.0 and 1.11.1 Kopernicus Stable branch? 

Previos it works with bleeding edge version

We do not support 1.11.0, it should not load on that in any circumstance.  Why are you not using the new patch, anyways?  I can make a build for 1.11.0 but I'd really need a valid reason to extend support like that to previous bug patches, as adding version support for old minipatches would drastically increase the bundle build time.

Newer bleeding edge's will not load with 1.11.0 either.  Older releases will but you are missing out on a ton of bugfixes.

Edited by R-T-B

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to set up what the sky looks like on a world with an atmosphere.  i.e. what color is the sky, etc.

I've found various cryptic references to a "lightColor" field and an "AtmosphereFromGround" subnode of Atmosphere, but I've tried tinkering with those and can't tell that either one of them does anything.

For example, if I want a world to have a blue sky like Kerbin's, say... how would I do that?  Everything I do, my sky tends to be flat black and I haven't been able to find any way around that.  None of the documentation or tutorials I've found seem to address that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

22 minutes ago, Snark said:

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to set up what the sky looks like on a world with an atmosphere.  i.e. what color is the sky, etc.

I've found various cryptic references to a "lightColor" field and an "AtmosphereFromGround" subnode of Atmosphere, but I've tried tinkering with those and can't tell that either one of them does anything.

For example, if I want a world to have a blue sky like Kerbin's, say... how would I do that?  Everything I do, my sky tends to be flat black and I haven't been able to find any way around that.  None of the documentation or tutorials I've found seem to address that.

I'm not much of a planet pack author myself, so I probably can't offer much advice there.  I will ask around for you though, try to get some attention to your post from people who know.

In the meantime I assume you are aware of the Kopernicus wiki?

7 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

In the meantime I assume you are aware of the Kopernicus wiki?

I've been looking at this:

...which says a bunch of stuff, but none of the things it says seem to help me make anything happen.  The descriptions are cryptic enough that all I can do is trial-and-error tinkering, none of which seems to accomplish anything.

All of the examples I've tried seem to do nothing.  For example, I have a vague memory of Tekto from OPM having an interesting-colored sky... but when I copy the lightColor from there into my planet, then nothing happens.

Would really help to have a working example to go from.  Nothing I've done seems to affect the sky color at all.

27 minutes ago, Snark said:

I've been looking at this:

...which says a bunch of stuff, but none of the things it says seem to help me make anything happen.  The descriptions are cryptic enough that all I can do is trial-and-error tinkering, none of which seems to accomplish anything.

All of the examples I've tried seem to do nothing.  For example, I have a vague memory of Tekto from OPM having an interesting-colored sky... but when I copy the lightColor from there into my planet, then nothing happens.

Would really help to have a working example to go from.  Nothing I've done seems to affect the sky color at all.

I have a guy working on new KopernicusExamples...  because yeah documentation there is pathetically out of date.  I'll see if I can't get someone with atmosphere knowledge to post here.

There is also the Kopernicus discord, if you aren't a member.  I can PM an invite.

From what little I know AtmosphereFromGround is what you want, but beyond that I may not be much help.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Snark said:

This is done using AtmosphereFromGround. The waveLength field specifies the color itself, I'm not sure what exactly you need to put into it but you can just mess with the values in Kittopia until it looks right (thats what I usually do lol)

1 hour ago, Snark said:

What you're looking for is waveLength in AtmosphereFromGround. Unfortunately, it's not the intuitive color you'd expect something formatted as a color to be.

Atmospheres do not consist of a simple gradient of a color down to transparent, instead they consist of three such gradients overlaid. Each one is one of your three optical primaries (red, green, blue), and the corresponding color channels in your waveLength controls the position of this gradient. If you set it to 1, the gradient will be buried entirely underground and so not contribute at all. Set it to 0 and it's all the way up, but know that the fade out is only on the top half of the gradient, with the bottom half solid color. Also, if you set all the way to zero, some perspectives may show the empty space underneath, so I'd avoid setting any channel below 0.3

I'd strongly recommend using Kittopia to tweak it since it's this weird unintuitive thing. Also, the alpha channel does nothing so you can set it to whatever

Looks like the crew I talked about showed up. :)

Link to a recompiled Kittopia to help:

https://github.com/R-T-B/KittopiaTech/releases

It's not out of beta yet, but should be good enough for this.  Working on it next.  If you aren't familiar with Kittopia, basically hit ALT or CTRL-P ingame (forget which) and just mess with the reasonably intuitive GUI.

Edited by R-T-B

I'll bet I'm not alone when I say that Kopernicus is one of a handful of mods that I literally wouldn't play KSP without. Maybe Rescale would have saved me for a while, but then again I didn't know Rescale was a thing until I switched to JNSQ full time. Anyway, now I try every planet pack that gets released.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank RTB and all the folks, past and present, who've poured hours of work into this.

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'll bet I'm not alone when I say that Kopernicus is one of a handful of mods that I literally wouldn't play KSP without. Maybe Rescale would have saved me for a while, but then again I didn't know Rescale was a thing until I switched to JNSQ full time. Anyway, now I try every planet pack that gets released.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank RTB and all the folks, past and present, who've poured hours of work into this.

I'm just standing on the shoulders of other giants man, this thing is a collosal project and many many skilled coders put many many hours into it.

I too am in awe.  It's been an honor to work on it.

Edited by R-T-B

I'm running into a serious issue with Kopernicus and I've got no idea how to fix it. Things were working fine until last night, running the most recent stable version of Kopernicus on KSP 1.11.1. Then after an 8 hour session the game crashed... hard... I got some blank error messages with progress bars that did nothing except show that they were from Unity and one notification that there had been an overflow of some type before finally forcing me to alt-f4 / end processes to get rid of the messages. Anyway, ever since then, whenever I try to load a save from within the game, this is what I'm presented with:

Spoiler

fztSQ4k.png

Spoiler

wi0vVwz.png

The first image where KSC is underground is what always happens on the first reload, the second is usually what happens if I try to reload a second time, though sometimes the terrain is so low that you can see water below the floating space center.

Anyway, these are from a bare bones install with just Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, and Module Manager and KSP installed. I've tried reinstalling all of them, including KSP more than once, always with the same result. Additionally, I get the same results if I try to roll back Kopernicus and MFI to the bleeding edge version I'd been using before the stable release. That all said, whats more interesting / frustrating about this is that it doesn't seem to be restricted to my main KSP install, but instead it affects all KSP installs on my system, even a completely fresh install made after all of this started with freshly downloaded KSP and Kopernicus archives. And that's where I'm fresh out of ideas on how to fix this... I'm not familiar with anything other than logs that KSP stores outside of its home directory and I don't know of anything at all that Kopernicus might store elsewhere that could have become corrupted, so I'm really hoping someone who knows more about the way Kopernicus / KSP works can help me sort out what might be going wrong here because its preventing me from playing my main save as I'm both afraid it could further corrupt if I try to press forward and the mission I was about to launch was a rover to drive around KSC...

Logs

Kopernicus Generated Logs

EDIT: Just to be clear, I only get these results when Kopernicus is installed

Edited by SpacedInvader