[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

1 hour ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

Just a quick bug report: This new version breaks the Strategia mod. Only crewed missions are partially available (left most column). All other ones are completely empty.

Temporarily, you can fix this with the Kopernicus_Config.cfg setting EnableKopernicusWatchdog, set it to false.

Longterm I will see if I can't work around it.  If not I will add that mod to a blacklist that does that automatically.  Speaking of...

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-97:

1.) Implement an autoblacklist for known watchdog incompatible mods (currently only Principia).

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) If you use the default config of Kopernicus, A fake, invisible celestial body is then used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug and other graphical issues (why this works is quite the mystery). This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be older mods that don't work. Please report them if so. Principia is a known mod that does not work, a fork (including source) fixing it's issues is available upon PM request to R-T-B.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

@FasterThanFlourite

Please test this fork I made of Strategia, it should work with the new builds with no further configuration:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Strategia/releases

I will maintain this and link it in OP, since the Stratagia author appears at least for now, MIA.  Alternatively you can use the config option I told you about earlier, but that's less than ideal as you then miss the bugfixes it provides.

License: MIT.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Any Info from others, if the new release is compatible with OPM?

OPM and planet packs are fine.  It's mods that directly interface with the planetary bodies list that have the potential to break.  These are mostly mission mods, honestly.

A quick post to clarify the dev teams feelings on the watchdog "workaround."

It works and works mostly well, but it is certainly not ideal from a mod compatability perspective.  The code is also ugly, janky on a level that makes stock code feel normal, as well as not well understood in how it works, and I hate all of that.

Bottom line is there is still an issue somewhere deep in the stock code causing this bug in the first place.  The best end result would be to fix it there, making all of this unneccesary.  To that end I am actively collaborating with @Gotmachineof KspCommunityFixes, and hope to have a better solution soon.

In the meantime this is the best we have, but efforts being put into making it work will be limited to advising mod devs of "safe" ways to code around it, and patching old mods by hand as reported and found to be both doable and relevant.  I do not plan this system to be around in the longterm.  It certainly will not see any work to improve it (such as additional cloaking), as I'd rather just focus on the real problem rather than treating the symptoms.

Hope this answers any other modders concerns regarding my intended roadmap for this admitedly "hacky" solution.

Edited by R-T-B

Well, that didn't take long...

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-98:

1.) The watchdog hack has been killed in favor of a new method that is universally compatible. Thanks for @gotmachine for the code suggestion! The new method does not need forked mods (though it will continue to work with them of course) or anything, and should work with everyone. This will be transparently migrated to and is invisible to the end user, for once it just works (tm).

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Kwebib said:

Awesome! No more weird in-game KopernicusWatchdog stuff :P

It's one dog I won't miss.  Probably the only, but yeah, it was a pain...  bad doggo. ;)

I'm getting reports from primarily 3xxx series NVIDIA users that Tylo (in stock system) shadows/terrain is badly glitched when zooming in, flickering with a black shadow like effect.  I'm unsure if this is a driver issue with the newest nvidia cards or something more serious and widespread bug wise...  can anyone with a non-3xxx series nvidia (or AMD) GPU check out Tylo for me as a data gathering adventure / bug test?  It'd be much appreciated.

I'd do it myself but I also have a nvidia 3xxx series card, so won't do much good.

35 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Not quite. Contract Configurator is borked in my install after this latest update - no custom contracts at all get loaded but lots of exceptions related to Kopernicus mockBody. 

Appreciate the log, guess I was a little excited declaring that but you can still get this working.  I fixed this in my latest release of ContractConfigurator.  Alternatively, the old original author releases should work fine now as well (no fork required).

The issue is the old forks are looking for a variable I removed (the one that mapped the watchdog).  I'd advise just making sure to either use mainline or the latest fork version, if you need something in it.

PS:  Also, do not use my stratagia fork at all, it is obsolete now.  Just use mainline.  I am removing it to prevent confusion.  Honestly my old forks will probably be removed in general, as they serve little to no purpose now and can break things.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-99:

1.) For a long time, there has been a bug with PQS and the ATZR shader which produces shadow-like flickers across the terrain. The system.cfg has been altered to provide a new known workaround to this bug to stock bodies that fixes this (Tylo was really bad). Your custom bodies should probably also adopt this workaround if using ATZR shader, look at the config/system.cfg PQS section of various stock bodies for an example of how to do so in your cfg.

2.) Added back a data structure related to the old watchdog for compatability reasons, as some old mods expect to find it and will error out violently if it's missing (the watchdog is still dead, don't worry).

Known Bugs:

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

3.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

4.) For a long time, there has been a bug with PQS and the ATZR shader which produces shadow-like flickers across the terrain. The system.cfg has been altered to provide a new known workaround to this bug to stock bodies (Tylo was really bad). Your custom bodies should probably also adopt this workaround if using ATZR shader, look at the config/system.cfg PQS section of various stock bodies for an example of how to do so in your cfg.

Edited by R-T-B

Release-100. woo! CELEBRRATE! What's in it?

It's a hotfix...

Kopernicus release-100

New in this latest version release-100:

1.) Hotfix for a typo in system.cfg which resulted in black skies on modded worlds (as well as harmless but annoying incorrectly setup scaledspace).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4.) For a long time, there has been a bug with PQS and the ATZR shader which produces shadow-like flickers across the terrain. The system.cfg has been altered to provide a new known workaround to this bug to stock bodies (Tylo was really bad). Your custom bodies should probably also adopt this workaround if using ATZR shader, look at the config/system.cfg PQS section of various stock bodies for an example of how to do so in your cfg.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-101:

1.) Internal restructuring of the system.cfg, moving some non-Kerbin PQS bugfixes to a new file, BodyPQSFix.cfg. This is mostly for future ease of maintainence, but also ensures modded bodies get prior fixes.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-102:

1.) LandControl scatters have been updated to have a per biome filter, declared in the scatter node as allowedBiomes, a comma delimitted string of biome names. If this list is empty or not present, all biomes are spawned in. If it's present, only the biomes listed are spawned in. Can be used in conjunction with existing controls.

2.) A new internal Kopernicus class has been exposed to modders, called PQSMod_BiomeSampler. This is for mods to access the following methods, GetCachedBiome(double lat, double lon, CelestialBody cb), and GetPreciseBiome(double lat, double lon, CelestialBody cb). GetCached is faster than GetPrcise, but uses a downsampled and cached biome map (roughly per quad).

3.) Tweaks to the sinking landing gear fix. It should now work in more circumstances (the watchdog is still gone).

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

9 minutes ago, modus said:

@R-T-BAaw you finally fixed the 'mutlistar' typo! Noticed that many months ago and had a bet with myself about when you were going to correct that:D

I think it's still at github but will be fixed in next push lol.

For anyone curious about the new features: 

https://kopernicus.github.io/wiki/main/PQSMods/LandControl/Scatters.html

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-103:

1.) LandControl scatters per biome filter system was not obeying single entry filters, this has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-104:

1.) A few more fixes for the new landcontrol biome filters. Mainly reduced spawns when using them.  This is 99% for future mods, but we still want it working right.

Known Bugs:

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

FYI the new biome filter is producing a nullref when in solar orbit that tanks FPS.  There will be a fix for this in the morning (I just had an epic work day or it'd be now).  If you need a version to rollback to reliably as a temp workaround, try release-101 please.

New in this latest version release-105:

1.) Fixed a nullref in the new biome filter that was hurting FPS. Considered a critical bugfix unless you like FPS-loss in solar orbit, please download.

2.) Furthermore, the PQS fixes have been scaled back to only where they are most needed (Stock Tylo). If your modded body is experiencing flicker, it may benefit from a fix similar to what is found in BodyPQSFix.cfg, but we are no longer playing babysitter for all mods there due to unwanted side effects.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4.) If your modded body is experiencing terrain flicker, it may benefit from a fix similar to what is found in body Tylo's PQS in system.cfg, but we are no longer playing babysitter for all mods there due to unwanted side effects.

5.) Please note the allowedBiomes filter is currently experimental. It's fine to dev a mod with it but it's behavior may change as we tweak it, so best to be on top of that.

New in this latest version release-106:

1.) Fixed a nullref resulting from a bug in MFI, did not hurt performance but did create logspam.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

4.) If your modded body is experiencing terrain flicker, it may benefit from a fix similar to what is found in body Tylo's PQS system.cfg, but we are no longer playing babysitter for all mods there due to unwanted side effects.

5.) Please note the allowedBiomes filter is currently experimental. It's fine to dev a mod with it but it's behavior may change as we tweak it, so best to be on top of that.