[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version (release-32)

1.) Fixed a bug on saveload that could cause the KSC to sink (purely cosmetic, but still annoying).

2.) Tried to fix the ringshader on MacOS builds. This is largely untested, and may see a followup patch based on user feedback (will only impact Mac Users).

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

@SpacedInvader, this build may interest you.

Did you work on this all night or something?

When you called it last night it seemed like it would be a couple of days before you had something new, but here it is, first thing in the morning... :P

That said, the bug appears to be gone, so that was some quick bugstomping on your part and I appreciate it for sure.

6 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Did you work on this all night or something?

When you called it last night it seemed like it would be a couple of days before you had something new, but here it is, first thing in the morning... :P

That said, the bug appears to be gone, so that was some quick bugstomping on your part and I appreciate it for sure.

It was a "sleep on it, moment of brilliance" kind of thing.

I just woke up and had a really simple, elegant epiphany lol.

In a nutshell, (warning, technical details follow)

Kopernicus applies some camera and terrain fixes on scene load that only need to be applied on first entrance to the space center.  Going into buildings etc, it doesn't need to reapply them and it knows this.  But if you reload a savegame, it applies them again because it treats it like a whole new universe even though Kerbin is ALREADY LOADED and the fixes already there, and this double application of the fix is what breaks things.

The simple way I dealt with this?  I  wrote some simple code that asks what the prior scene was, and says"if the prior scene was the space center, DON'T FIX STUFF AGAIN, IT ALREADY HAPPENED"

It's really simple, but it works.

Edited by R-T-B

5 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

It was a "sleep on it, moment of brilliance" kind of thing.

I just woke up and had a really simple, elegant epiphany lol.

In a nutshell, (warning, technical details follow)

Kopernicus applies some camera and terrain fixes on scene load that only need to be applied on first entrance to the space center.  Going into buildings etc, it doesn't need to reapply them and it knows this.  But if you reload a savegame, it applies them again because it treats it like a whole new universe even though Kerbin is ALREADY LOADED, and this double application of the fix is what breaks things.

The simple way I dealt with this?  I  wrote some simple code that asks what the prior scene was, and says"if the prior scene was the space center, DON'T FIX STUFF AGAIN, IT ALREADY HAPPENED"

It's really simple, but it works.

Makes sense that would lead to bad results... I'm actually kind of surprised that hasn't been in the code for years since checking for a prior config before applying another config seems like a must have component. Either way, thats a nice addition that's likely going to save headaches down the road in addition to the immediate benefits.

14 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Makes sense that would lead to bad results... I'm actually kind of surprised that hasn't been in the code for years since checking for a prior config before applying another config seems like a must have component. Either way, thats a nice addition that's likely going to save headaches down the road in addition to the immediate benefits.

There are a lot of things missing because everyone just assumed they were already there.  The code base is so big, it's easy to miss something like that.

12 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Ahh, the joys of inheriting a plate of spaghetti ;)

It's actually pretty clean code.  @Thomas P. did excellent at commenting and documenting and keeping things reasonably understandable.  It's just the project has a huge scope.  So it's a huge pile of noodles, even if organized noodles.

Yeah, the analogy breaks down a bit lol.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version (release-34)

1.) Some additional fixes to the space center camera, which was occasionally appearing slightly too high up in elevation.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Sorry to bug again, but I've still got that same error. I've tried all I could, made sure everything is up to date. Could I get some sort of pointers?

[LOG 17:52:18]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Failed to load Body: Squad/Kerbin: Default constructor not found for type UnityEngine.Material

The error in question.

33 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

Sorry to bug again, but I've still got that same error. I've tried all I could, made sure everything is up to date. Could I get some sort of pointers?

[LOG 17:52:18]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Failed to load Body: Squad/Kerbin: Default constructor not found for type UnityEngine.Material

The error in question.

Can I get a picture of your gamedata folder / a list of installed mods?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406357852316237827/812150868685226035/part_one.JPG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406357852316237827/812150869734588437/part_two.JPG

Yeah it's a bit long, sorry. Not embedded so I don't fill up the page. (I'm also stupid when it comes to using forums)

Note that Kopernicus is removed at the moment. The only planet mods I've used with it have been OPM and Kronkus. Though, I get the aforementioned error when just using Kopernicus

Edited by Taco Salad
clarity

One odd thing, each time I run using Kopernicus, I can verify my game files and it will redownload one file. I wish It'd tell me which, but I'm guessing it's the Kerbin on above.

Okay that's extra-odd. Something is messing up every time I load. It works fine, but I can still verify my files and have one validated.

Edited by Taco Salad

23 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

One odd thing, each time I run using Kopernicus, I can verify my game files and it will redownload one file. I wish It'd tell me which, but I'm guessing it's the Kerbin on above.

It's probably KSP's settings file, which your game will modify on start.  If it is, it's not a problem.

52 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

It's probably KSP's settings file, which your game will modify on start.  If it is, it's not a problem.

That's likely.

1 hour ago, Taco Salad said:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406357852316237827/812150868685226035/part_one.JPG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406357852316237827/812150869734588437/part_two.JPG

Yeah it's a bit long, sorry. Not embedded so I don't fill up the page. (I'm also stupid when it comes to using forums)

Note that Kopernicus is removed at the moment. The only planet mods I've used with it have been OPM and Kronkus. Though, I get the aforementioned error when just using Kopernicus

Sorry for the slow replies here, busy work week.

I think I'm going to need the KSP.log to diagnose this one properly.  I'd ask that if you are having file size issues with that file, you delete it before running KSP (it will regenerate for just that run).  That may reduce it's size.  You can furthermore zip the resulting file.

Then, if it's still too big, try to find a file hosting service like google drive or similar.  Somewhere will surely let you upload it.

EDIT:  Also, what is in the "source" directory if I may ask?  In GameData above?

Edited by R-T-B

Uhh.. Well, here you go. I compressed it. You know it's a good sign when over half of it is the same error message. 

I wish thee luck, and thank you for taking some time to help me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d3klmknkrb6wtk/KSP.log?dl=0

Also, no reason to say sorry! Just happy I'm getting some help.

Edited by Taco Salad

9 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Just happy I'm getting some help

This is probably no help, and I'm no expert but ... your screenshots don't match your log. What happened to the Kopernicus folder in the screenshot? Also, I don't recognize any of those folders as being planet packs, so I can't figure out why you have/had Kopernicus installed. There are also two very suspect looking folders that indicate you might have something installed incorrectly - "Source" and "Textures" are very odd names for folders right under GameData.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This is probably no help, and I'm no expert but ... your screenshots don't match your log. What happened to the Kopernicus folder in the screenshot? Also, I don't recognize any of those folders as being planet packs, so I can't figure out why you have/had Kopernicus installed. There are also two very suspect looking folders that indicate you might have something installed incorrectly - "Source" and "Textures" are very odd names for folders right under GameData.

I thought "source" was odd too, but he admitted that he pulled Kopernicus out in that screenshot.  I do also admit that limits our ability to diagnose.  Still, the log isn't useless.  I may be able to glean something from it.  Looking now.

EDIT:  Nope, there is too much going on in there to rule anything conclusive.  I'd start by removing those "source" and "texture" folders that are seemingly an incorrectly downloaded mod, and seeing what that does.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Well. I fixed it! Kopernircus works once again! Something with the Paralax mod loveed up something bad when I removed it. I had to completely reinstall KSP to fix it. I thank y'all for your help though.

Ah.  I thought that error sounded familiar.  Yep, when you uninstall only part of parallax that can happen.  Glad it's fixed now though!

7 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Same exact bug as before too.

Debugging these things can be difficult. If you're open to a couple nits of advice ...

The forum software will allow you to edit a previous message. If you've JUST posted, and want to post more, you can easily edit your last message and add text to it.

Here's the biggie ... *any* change you make will essentially invalidate all the thought and effort that other people have put into advising you and trying to help you figure out what's wrong. When you say you did this and that but then you don't provide new logs and new screenshots, everyone here is literally starting over from scratch because we have no idea what the current state of your install is. 

edit: I added this after I posted the message just to show how you can add on more text to your previous message if you need to :)

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

eaTjG4u.png

Why am I suddenly getting nyan cat? On 1.10.1, Kopernicus Stable 1.10.1-34, MFI from download zip, Kronometer 1.11.0-1, JNSQ 0.9.0, Feb 22, 2021. No incompatibility messages displayed either, so (probably) not Kop version incompatibility. Is this some kind of easter egg, where on Feb 2 nyan appears on our screens?

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Just now, steve_v said:

Because @sarbiancelebrates cat day, and so should you :P

Reveal hidden contents

From MM source:

bool catDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 2 && DateTime.Now.Day == 22);

oh, so it's MM, not Kopernicus

It's just that I once had Kopernicus' nyan cats when I mistakenly installed the 1.11.1 version on 1.10.1

7 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Because @sarbiancelebrates cat day, and so should you :P

Hide contents

From MM source:

bool catDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 2 && DateTime.Now.Day == 22);

Add the command line option " -nyan-nyan" and *everyday* can be Cat Day! :)