[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

4 hours ago, panarchist said:

@king of nowhere - the normal mod issues apply, do you have any other mods installed that mess with asteroid / comet support? What's in your GameData directory? Have you tried a separate install with only stock, OPM, and Kopernicus? And if you take a look in Kopernicus_Config.cfg, is "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem" set to "true", "false", or "stock"?

i have some other mods, but i'm not aware of any of them messing with asteroids or comets. basically i have OPM, its dependencies, kerbalism, its dependencies, near future electrical, and a few more minor mods.

i did not try a new install. I'd have to try a new career and fast forward a lot, seems like a very time intensive experiment.

that string in the config file is set as "true".

On 7/8/2021 at 2:09 AM, modus said:

I also have OPM, and I do have comets (1.11.2).

I'm scanning the 'old' Kopernicus bleeding edge thread for posts regarding comets, but I'm not sure if this is all still correct...First cometspawning (and asteroidspawning) was handled by Kopernicus but it was (optionally) removed in BE release 75:

"Kopernicus_Config.cfg now accepts parameter UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem with accepted values "true" (default, use Kopernicus Custom Asteroid Generator and scrub Sentinel contracts), "false" (use external mod asteroid generator, or none at all), and "stock" (uses stock game generator, only good for stock system). These values are case insensitive and DO NOT use quotes."

@R-T-Bis this still correct? I guess so because I have asteroids/comets and no sentinel contracts :0.0:

Yes.  For OPM you'd usually want to use "Stock." (since it is a stock derived system)  The default is "true" which would result in no comets (Kopernicus's generator can't cope with them), but in the very distant past it was "stock" by default  You may have a Kopernicus_Config.cfg file that has "stock" grandfathered in, or an even older one where the Kopernicus generator was patched to generate comets (it was kinda buggy but it did try).

On 7/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, king of nowhere said:

that string in the config file is set as "true".

For @king of nowhere, I would advise opening GameData/Kopernicus/Kopernicus_Config.cfg and changing the UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem to be set to "stock."

Another thing worth noting:  Due to a problem with how KSP handles the "scrubbing" of sentinel contracts, once they are scrubbed once, they are gone for good as best I can tell.  You'd need to start a new game in "stock" mode to get them back.  Other than that you can change parameters freely.

Edited by R-T-B

33 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Yes.  For OPM you'd usually want to use "Stock." (since it is a stock derived system)  The default is "true" which would result in no comets (Kopernicus's generator can't cope with them), but in the very distant past it was "stock" by default  You may have a Kopernicus_Config.cfg file that has "stock" grandfathered in, or an even older one where the Kopernicus generator was patched to generate comets (it was kinda buggy but it did try).

For @king of nowhere, I would advise opening GameData/Kopernicus/Kopernicus_Config.cfg and changing the UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem to be set to "stock."

Another thing worth noting:  Due to a problem with how KSP handles the "scrubbing" of sentinel contracts, once they are scrubbed once, they are gone for good as best I can tell.  You'd need to start a new game in "stock" mode to get them back.  Other than that you can change parameters freely.

@R-T-B I can change this settings and will reflect in a current saved game? Or I need to start a new game?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

@R-T-B I can change this settings and will reflect in a current saved game? Or I need to start a new game?

Thanks

It will immediately take effect in a existing game.  If you had it on "true" prior, you may lose Sentinel contracts, but other than that all will be well.

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

great, thanks. Just one question, since you wrote it both ways: do I need to write "Stock", "stock", or it works both ways?

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

great, thanks. Just one question, since you wrote it both ways: do I need to write "Stock", "stock", or it works both ways?

It's case insensitive, meaning you could literally write "StOcK" and it would work.  Doesn't matter. ;)

Edited by R-T-B

20 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I think it's because I've been using my main save since 1.7, and a lot of Kopernicusversions :P

And now I think about it, those 3 comets in my save have been there for a long time, without any new ones, so yeah I guess everything works like it should :0.0:

11 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Is this where to go to ask for help with planetary configs? I'm trying to make a tiny asteroid for a planet mod and it keeps showing up as a sphere with the color map, but the light is 90 degrees to the north, and the PQS doesn't work at all.

If you have discord, there are a lot of helpful people for planet configs there.  Our channel is in the OP.

Sadly, I'm not really one of them.  Despite being the maintainer of Kopernicus I'm not terribly good at configs, sorry.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

If you have discord, there are a lot of helpful people for planet configs there.  Our channel is in the OP.

Sadly, I'm not really one of them.  Despite being the maintainer of Kopernicus I'm not terribly good at configs, sorry.

Actually, I fixed the PQS deal. That's all fine. And I've joined the Discord.

Hello, i would have couple question about this mod because kinda got me confused, i got here when i was searching graphics enhancement mods for KSP if not all of them but most of them led me there about i need this.
So what i would like to know if this mod actually changes anything in the base game or just its allows to do planet modifications?  Also im wondering if i install this its would still allow me to join LunaMultiplayer servers?

Thanks you.

Edited by Venompapa

On 7/12/2021 at 2:00 AM, Venompapa said:

Hello, i would have couple question about this mod because kinda got me confused, i got here when i was searching graphics enhancement mods for KSP if not all of them but most of them led me there about i need this.
So what i would like to know if this mod actually changes anything in the base game or just its allows to do planet modifications?  Also im wondering if i install this its would still allow me to join LunaMultiplayer servers?

Thanks you.

It just is a framework allowing changes to the stock system.

It should be fine with LMP provided you have the same mods on both ends.

Sorry for the late reply, missed this.

Edited by R-T-B

In the latest version of KittopiaTech (release UBE1), I'm unable to view changes I make to a planet's PQS material ingame, even if I rebuild the surface via the "Rebuild Sphere" button.

In older versions of the game (at least as far back as 1.7.3), changes to the material node were applied instantly. Currently I'm playing on KSP version 1.12 with release 55 of the stable branch of Kopernicus.

The ability to view PQS material changes in real time is really important to being able to understand how the different parameters work, and I'd greatly appreciate a fix or workaround. Thanks.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:38 PM, R-T-B said:

It just is a framework allowing changes to the stock system.

It should be fine with LMP provided you have the same mods on both ends.

Sorry for the late reply, missed this.

R-T-B .. Wanted to say thanks for the work your putting in. I haven't played KSP in a while and I'm just coming back to it. Kopernicus is a "must" for me.

To everyone else: Is there some kind of website or archive of planet/star packs readily downloadable currently?

On 7/20/2021 at 12:12 PM, SnailsAttack said:

In the latest version of KittopiaTech (release UBE1), I'm unable to view changes I make to a planet's PQS material ingame, even if I rebuild the surface via the "Rebuild Sphere" button.

In older versions of the game (at least as far back as 1.7.3), changes to the material node were applied instantly. Currently I'm playing on KSP version 1.12 with release 55 of the stable branch of Kopernicus.

The ability to view PQS material changes in real time is really important to being able to understand how the different parameters work, and I'd greatly appreciate a fix or workaround. Thanks.

I really need to take some time to work on Kittopia, but I've been distracted recently by another side project...  Fortunately a it's a good, Kopernicus related one and you'll all be hearing about it soon.

When that is done I can promise I will take a hard look at updating Kittopia.  As of now though I am afraid no work around is available.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

I really need to take some time to work on Kittopia, but I've been distracted recently by another side project...  Fortunately a it's a good, Kopernicus related one and you'll all be hearing about it soon.

When that is done I can promise I will take a hard look at updating Kittopia.  As of now though I am afraid no work around is available.

Alright. thanks man, ill be keeping an eye out for that other project of yours

I found this in my log file:

[LOG 20:59:15.612] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AtmosphereFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 20:59:15.612] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'RuntimeUtility' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[WRN 20:59:15.613] OnLevelWasLoaded was found on RuntimeUtility
This message has been deprecated and will be removed in a later version of Unity.
Add a delegate to SceneManager.sceneLoaded instead to get notifications after scene loading has completed
[ERR 20:59:15.613] Script error: OnLevelWasLoaded
This message parameter has to be of type: int
The message will be ignored.

Thanks.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:12 PM, Dominiquini said:

I found this in my log file:

[LOG 20:59:15.612] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AtmosphereFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 20:59:15.612] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'RuntimeUtility' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[WRN 20:59:15.613] OnLevelWasLoaded was found on RuntimeUtility
This message has been deprecated and will be removed in a later version of Unity.
Add a delegate to SceneManager.sceneLoaded instead to get notifications after scene loading has completed
[ERR 20:59:15.613] Script error: OnLevelWasLoaded
This message parameter has to be of type: int
The message will be ignored.

Thanks.

I've been trying to track that error down, but as of yet unsuccesful.  The good news is it seems completely harmless.  Plus since KSP is getting no Unity upgrades anytime soon, we can pretty much ignore it's deprecation warnings.

Also, new release with modest improvements:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 1 minute ago

New in this latest version (release-56):

1.) ScatterCleanup speed increased, allowing us to decrease (make faster/work better) the default of the setting that controls it; ScatterCleanupDelta from 10 to 4 with no performance impact. This should result in less "floaters." This will not update automatically if you already have a Kopernicus_Config.cfg, you will need to manually edit it to your preference (valid values are between 1 (best/least floaters) and 10 (fastest)). I advise 4.

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

1.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

2.) Before 1.12.0, the mission creator module in Making History is somehow, amazingly, is bugged in such a way as to make landing at bodies more distant than say, Stock Eeloo, impossible, due to sinking landing gear and lethal-to-kerbalkind terrain. The general work around for this is to a.) stay within the standard solar system distance, or b.) install another mod: either Parallax which does it's own colliders, or alternatively, "MakingLessHistory."

3.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable.  Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects.  This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

@Kopernicus:FOR[JNSQ]
{ 
  !Body[Mun] {} 
  Body 
    { all the Mun details copied with new orbit  
    }
}

Hi!  I'm wanting to patch kopernicus, specifically JNSQ to move the Mün closer to an semiMajorAxis of 350000000 to give an orbital period of 12 days (12 JNSQ days)

But this patch doesn't seem to work.  Even adding a :FINAL doesnt do the job.

Any ideas community?

Peace.

4 hours ago, theJesuit said:
{ 
  !Body[Mun] {} 
  Body 
    { all the Mun details copied with new orbit  
    }
}

Hi!  I'm wanting to patch kopernicus, specifically JNSQ to move the Mün closer to an semiMajorAxis of 350000000 to give an orbital period of 12 days (12 JNSQ days)

But this patch doesn't seem to work.  Even adding a :FINAL doesnt do the job.

Any ideas community?

Peace.

First of all: Why do you delete the complete Body node just to change the SMA? Seems a bit overkill and you may or may not made a mistake by copying all theses lines, like missing a closing parenthesis.

JNSQ has two different SMAs in the config, one is used if principia is present, the other for default KSP physics. Are you sure you edited the correct value depending which other mods you have installed?

I did a quick test with this patch and it worked perfectly fine (using KSP physics, not principia):

{
	@Body[Mun]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@semiMajorAxis = 55500000
		}
	}
}

Though, I would suggest to use :AFTER instead of :FOR but it should work in both cases.
Also, the SMA of
55500000 meters actually results in a 12 day orbital period, instead of 190 days when you use your 350000000 meters (it's not 100% exact but very close with ~12 days and 1 minute... did you use the correct gravitational parameter for JNSQ?)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

First of all: Why do you delete the complete Body node just to change the SMA? Seems a bit overkill and you may or may not made a mistake by copying all theses lines, like missing a closing parenthesis.

JNSQ has two different SMAs in the config, one is used if principia is present, the other for default KSP physics. Are you sure you edited the correct value depending which other mods you have installed?

I did a quick test with this patch and it worked perfectly fine (using KSP physics, not principia):

{
	@Body[Mun]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@semiMajorAxis = 55500000
		}
	}
}

Though, I would suggest to use :AFTER instead of :FOR but it should work in both cases.
Also, the SMA of
55500000 meters actually results in a 12 day orbital period, instead of 190 days when you use your 350000000 meters (it's not 100% exact but very close with ~12 days and 1 minute... did you use the correct gravitational parameter for JNSQ?)

Needed the :AFTER, but otherwise it worked!  Thank you!

I used the new SOC mod from @linuxgurugamer, but I may not have installed the latest Konometer and so that may be the issue. I'll go back and check in out.  

EDIT - yes, don't have the new kronometre thing - also, running in 1.11.2... so time to update versions :/  Thanks for the updated figures

Edited by theJesuit
reasons

8 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

I used the new SOC mod from @linuxgurugamer, but I may not have installed the latest Konometer and so that may be the issue. I'll go back and check in out.  

I see...well, I used a spreadsheet to calculate the SMA. If you want the orbit to be more precise, you can use 55495582.49 meters for the SMA, that's the actual value I've calculated which results in an orbital period of 12 days and 26 seconds according to the KER readout.
I also installed SOC really quick (kronometer was already installed) which calculates a SMA of 55493693.3470702. Putting that value into the MM patch, the orbital period of the mun actually results in exactly 12 days (according to KER, it's 11d, 11h, 59m 60s :D )

Guess the missing kronometer mod threw off the calculations of SOC ;)

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I see...well, I used a spreadsheet to calculate the SMA. If you want the orbit to be more precise, you can use 55495582.49 meters for the SMA, that's the actual value I've calculated which results in an orbital period of 12 days and 26 seconds according to the KER readout.
I also installed SOC really quick (kronometer was already installed) which calculates a SMA of 55493693.3470702. Putting that value into the MM patch, the orbital period of the mun actually results in exactly 12 days (according to KER, it's 11d, 11h, 59m 60s :D )

Guess the missing kronometer mod threw off the calculations of SOC ;)

I see that kronometer isn't updated for 1.12 yet and breaks the game.  Shame - I was looking forward to a JNSQ run!  I'll just have to wait I guess.