[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

On 5/15/2022 at 12:37 AM, Rakete said:

Alright,... but this bug only occurs on loading the KSC in not-flight-scene, right? Or do I have to expect a missing ground/sunk KSP, when I want to land a SSTO on the runway?

Only non-flight scenes.  Your SSTO is safe. ;)

Edited by R-T-B

Hello! I have been struggling for 1 month now with a problem that in career mode after the eve/mono missions. It gives me a mission to get landing / mining ore, fly away On "KopernicusWatchdog"
missions cannot be skipped. He also folds again and again.
 Is there any tip that could make the mission doable? Or omit it altogether?

Thx
KDarky

8 hours ago, KDarky said:

Hello! I have been struggling for 1 month now with a problem that in career mode after the eve/mono missions. It gives me a mission to get landing / mining ore, fly away On "KopernicusWatchdog"
missions cannot be skipped. He also folds again and again.
 Is there any tip that could make the mission doable? Or omit it altogether?

Thx
KDarky

Yeah, there are a few things you can do to avoid this...  ideally it would never happen but as it is we have workarounds.

The easiest if you don't have a massive (non-stock) system is to delete the KopernicusWatchdog.cfg file and just not use the watchdog, because you won't need it.  The general range at which the watchdog is required is unknown, but it's safe to say if you have planets "well beyond stock eeloo" you probably need it.

If you do need that watchdog hack to keep from sinking on distant bodies, my advice is to use the patched ContractConfigurator I make available here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/ContractConfigurator/releases

It should filter the watchdog from missions.  It currently has a small cosmetic line ending error I am tracking down on the mission descriptions, but other than that it is flawless.  In it's default state, missions will be stock like, just broken up into categories (and no watchdog).  And the little line ending text bug is way less annoying then getting an unfullfillable mission.

It also filters out other silly possibilities, like "Mine ore on gas giant" etc...

Edited by R-T-B

No, this is not the shadow fix I've been promising.  Still forthcoming sorry, but wanted to get this out fast for a mod author who needed it...
@R-T-BR-T-B released this now

New in this latest version release-91:

1.) A change to the internal Kopernicus naming system for PQS Spheres to allow some mods to better work with it (you know who you are). If you have no idea what I am talking about, this does not affect you, but you should still update to ensure future upcoming mods "play nice" with Kopernicus.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

New in this latest version release-92:

1.) A bugfix to the prior modder centered change that only affected a small number of users (specifically, those that had exportmesh=false in their body config and were getting odd body names with "clone" in it, this is very very few people I imagine).

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) 1.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

3.) If you use the "AddWatchdog.cfg" file, A fake celestial body isthen used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug. This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be side effects. Also, Principia does not work with this fix at this time, unfortunately. Those users may try "MakingLessHistory" mod, the old workaround.

4.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-93:

1.) Some code in Kopernicus.Parser.dll has been optimized for decently good game loadtime gains. This section of the code is largely unexplored, and more optimizations may follow as we poke through it. Thanks to KSP forum user GamesLinx for pointing this out!

2.) More modder requested changes mostly invisible to end user.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

5 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version release-93:

1.) Some code in Kopernicus.Parser.dll has been optimized for decently good game loadtime gains. This section of the code is largely unexplored, and more optimizations may follow as we poke through it. Thanks to KSP forum user GamesLinx for pointing this out!

2.) More modder requested changes mostly invisible to end user.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Most politely asking: Shadowbug fix in it or yet to come? Really lookin' forward to it.

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

Most politely asking: Shadowbug fix in it or yet to come? Really lookin' forward to it.

This shadowfix is not in it but we are ALMOST there.  I expect it this week, as in before Monday with any luck.  When it's here the changelog will say so.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi! Coming in with what might be an unusual question, and I hope this is the right place to ask:

I'm working on loading Kopernicus configs into a web application to be used for flight planning, and I'd like to be able to let a user upload a set of body configs as well as their save file. For the save file to be read correctly, I'd need to have some way of figuring out the reference ID for each body. My question is: for a given set of configs, is there any way to know without loading the game what reference ID each body will have?

Let's say I'm interested in getting flight details from a KSRSS save, for example. The flightGlobalsIndex field has been commented out of its configs (unlike those for RSS). Is there any way I could assign reference IDs to each body based solely on the configs, which would allow me to accurately assign orbits from the save file to the correct body?

Related question: if there's not a good way to do this, are reference IDs assigned the same way across different installations of the same planet pack? (e.g. for two different users on two different machines that have installed KSRSS, will the reference ID for Jupiter always be 5?)

6 hours ago, theAstrogoth said:

Hi! Coming in with what might be an unusual question, and I hope this is the right place to ask:

I'm working on loading Kopernicus configs into a web application to be used for flight planning, and I'd like to be able to let a user upload a set of body configs as well as their save file. For the save file to be read correctly, I'd need to have some way of figuring out the reference ID for each body. My question is: for a given set of configs, is there any way to know without loading the game what reference ID each body will have?

Let's say I'm interested in getting flight details from a KSRSS save, for example. The flightGlobalsIndex field has been commented out of its configs (unlike those for RSS). Is there any way I could assign reference IDs to each body based solely on the configs, which would allow me to accurately assign orbits from the save file to the correct body?

Related question: if there's not a good way to do this, are reference IDs assigned the same way across different installations of the same planet pack? (e.g. for two different users on two different machines that have installed KSRSS, will the reference ID for Jupiter always be 5?)

All I can really answer re that is that Flight globals are assigned by the order in which they appear in the FlightGlobals.Bodies list.  I am unsure what logic that list is sorted by though.  I am unsure if this is helpful, apologies.  This is a good question I'm just not entirely certain myself.

Edited by R-T-B

@Rakete, we beat schedule by a bit due to some contributed code from a fellow project.  Hope this satisfies.

New in this latest version release-94:

1.) The long awaited shadow fixes have made it in! Thanks to blackrack for donating a small piece of scatterer code/shaders to help with this! Please see the next entry for more information, and please pay attention to any new/bolded points.

2.) Two new Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameters have been introduced related to the shadow system. The first, a boolean that defaults to true, is EnableKopernicusShadowManager, which allows the stock style shadow fixes to work. You can turn this off to save a tiny bit of memory if you use say, scatterer, but the difference is not major (nor required). The second is ShadowDistanceLimit, which controls the distance at which shadows are cast in meters (higher distances lower quality of shadows). Default for that integer value is 17500. These will all be autoadded to your existing config on first run.  The defaults should be fine for most.

Known Bugs:

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

5.) As of release-94 with the adition of some scatterer shaders, release sizes have ballooned. This is normal, and due to including the complete 0.772 scatterer shader bundles rather than trimming them. Trimming will be done to reduce the binary size in a later release.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:
@Rakete, we beat schedule by a bit due to some contributed code from a fellow project.  Hope this satisfies.

Great. No need to satisfy anyone. I am happy, that so many skilled modders are around this fantastic community. No need to hurry. I am really impressed by the speed, that you and the team (and the other modders) show.

I will get to test it in the next few days, but not today (family time).

Indeed test at your leisure, no rush, just was glad to get some time to work on this. :)

Working on this mod is theraupeutic to me like a good math problem or mystery or whatever is to many of us with that inquisitive mind type, so unlikely to stop, just have to compete with my work schedule... lol.  Memorial day weekend is pretty good for that.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-95:

1.) The scatterer donated shaders have been trimmed, resulting in a far smaller release binary size.

2.) The shadow draw distance default was changed to 25000 meters, as that was found to have no visual impairment. If you had a previous install with the 17500 meter default, you may need to adjust your Kopernicus_Config.cfg's shadow limit line manually if you want this additional distance. Alternatively, you can simply delete that file and let it regenerate.

Known Bugs:

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

And also: The Kopernicus shadows do not cause the same interferences like Scatterer does with his shadows on waterfallized engine plumes inside the engine bells (reported over there in the scatterer thread).

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

And also: The Kopernicus shadows do not cause the same interferences like Scatterer does with his shadows on waterfallized engine plumes inside the engine bells (reported over there in the scatterer thread).

Probably because the shaders are not running in depth buffer mode like scatterer has done for some time, if I had to guess.  Either that or just the fact we run a lot less shaders in general (only 1 really).  Either way, for our purposes, this is a good thing!

Edited by R-T-B

New release incoming!  Big heads up that this release contains some major internal changes that while necessary for the project to proceed, may break some old mods.  Please report if you are having issues with a mod and this version, and I will help you fix it.  More in the release notes below:

@R-T-BR-T-B released this

New in this latest version release-96:

1.) AddWatchdog.cfg, the sinking landgear fix, has been reintegrated into the stock mod, since we have found a way to cloak it much better. This cloaking means no side effects like unattainable missions, though some mods may still not like this. If you find a mod that does not like the Watchdog, you can disable it. See next point.

2.) Added Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter EnableKopernicusWatchdog, boolean, default true. Turn to false if you have a mod with a compatability/loading issue with the Watchdog present (this should be far less mods since we now cloak it properly, but Principia still has issues without a custom build, for example). If you have to use that option, please report the mod in question in the KSP Forums Kopernicus thread for updating/fixing.

3.) Kopernicus.Parser.dll has been optimized quite a bit, resulting in a 20% load time performance increase on average. Remember to extract the complete Kopernicus release zip to and replace file to get this benefit (CKAN does this automatically).

Known Bugs:

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and nmonitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

2.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) If you use the default config of Kopernicus, A fake, invisible celestial body is then used to fix the distant landing-gear sinking bug and other graphical issues (why this works is quite the mystery). This body is called "KopernicusWatchdog" and will a.) intentionally keep it's distance from you at all times and is b.) invisible. The body is usually hidden from in game processes, but this is new territory having to use another moving celestial to correct a bug, so there may be older mods that don't work. Please report them if so. Principia is a known mod that does not work, a fork (including source) fixing it's issues is available upon PM request to R-T-B.

Edited by R-T-B