[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

1 hour ago, Rocket Science42 said:

I'm having an issue with kopernicus, I have my game updated to 1.11.2 and every time i try to load my game the loading screen with the orbiting planets keeps going on forever. I'm using the latest version of kopernicus , does anyone have any suggestions? 

I would suggest that you post a link to your player.log file so people can see what KSP is trying to do.  See the link in my sig block for some advice on where to find the log files.

3 hours ago, Rocket Science42 said:

Ok, please explain to me how to post a link to my player.log file. thanks.

Sure.  Upload your file to a file sharing service, such as Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive.  Create a sharable, public link to that file and put that link in a forum post by using the link icon (in the ribbon above your edit window that looks like a chain link, just to the left of the " one).  Do not post the log directly to the forum since it's always too big.  You can use a picture service, such as imgur, to do the same thing with pictures.

When you post a log, try to use one from a minimal game session that demonstrates the problem.  Log files get overwritten every time you restart the game.  Take screenshots if necessary to help explain.

Hello all.  I'm sorry I have not been more attentive here.  Work has been playing "catch up" AKA "Work until you die" with me since the reopening of the pandemic.  I hope the workload lessens soon but we'll see.  I will try to answer some support requests now.  I am alive and well though, know that. ;)

6 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Since update to KSP 1.11.2 Kopernicus isn`t loading, wheter the stable branch nor the Bleeding Edge. I use it for JNSQ.
Here is a pic of the screen:
screenshot26.png

And here is my player log. There is a mass of NullReferences:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-14570040/Player.log.html

Hello.  That Player.log is huge!  Let's start with something more basic.  Can you delete your KSP.log file from your main KSP directory, run the game, and post the rebuilt resulting file?

Also please post your mod list.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

This is the sort of change that should never have been done, given all the other mods which have it referenced.  Very bad decision, at the very least, should have some sort of compatibility layer

I tried to discuss this and phase it in with a warning on bleeding edge.  I'm surprised it surprises anyone as months of notice were given.  I even pinged major users to discuss the change...  did I miss you?  If so I apologize.

There is a compatibility layer in the sense that the old module is removed and the new module added for save game pipelining.  I'm not sure what more you would want me to do.  I would advise you to just go with the latest naming convention (the module behaves the same but is per panel not per vessel).  I do not support old builds anyways, and I target old KSP builds so there is aboslutely no reason to run an obsolete build.

Also, this logic is not enabled by default even now (partially due to lack of testing).  It is opt in for multistar systems only, by explicitly downloading a .cfg file.  This is partially because I know it's not an ideal situation.  My apologies.  I just don't have like, any testers right at this time willing to test things like that, and my personal time is more limited unfortunately.

Edited by R-T-B

9 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Since update to KSP 1.11.2 Kopernicus isn`t loading, wheter the stable branch nor the Bleeding Edge. I use it for JNSQ.
Here is a pic of the screen:
screenshot26.png

And here is my player log. There is a mass of NullReferences:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-14570040/Player.log.html

Here is the KSP.log:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-14570458/KSP.log.html

Modlist:

CommunityResourcePack
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
Firespitter
FlightTracker
JNSQ
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kopernicus
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManagerWatchDog
ParallaxJNSQ
PlanetShine
PlumeParty
RationalResources
RationalResourcesKerbalism
RationalResourcesParts
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
scatterer
SmokeScreen
SpaceDust
SpaceDustBunnies
SpaceTuxLibrary
Squad
SquadExpansion
TUFX
Waterfall
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll

Edited by Cheesecake

I have this issue with flickering on some planets in planet mods and luckly on tylo so it is easier to report this problem with the stock game and kopernicus. 

When I land on tylo and zoom in close to the craft I get flickering. When I zoom out a bit it goes away. All I have is stock game and kopernicus. Images below. 

IyNXOen.jpg3

F2E7NFf.jpg

Oh and glad to see you back o/

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

I have this issue with flickering on some planets in planet mods and luckly on tylo so it is easier to report this problem with the stock game and kopernicus. 

When I land on tylo and zoom in close to the craft I get flickering. When I zoom out a bit it goes away. All I have is stock game and kopernicus. Images below. 

IyNXOen.jpg3

F2E7NFf.jpg

Oh and glad to see you back o/

I had similar issues with the latest nvidia drivers, oddly.  Seems to be some kind of new bug.  I fixed it by using their "studio" drivers, which despite the name, game fine.

Hope your issue is similar / this helps.

To the other posters, I will get back to you soon.  Posting from a cellphone so can't look at logs now.

Edited by R-T-B

1 minute ago, R-T-B said:

I had similar issues with the latest nvidia drivers, oddly.  Seems to be some kind of new bug.  I fixed it by using their "studio" drivers, which despite the name, game fine.

Hope your issue is similar / this helps.

To the other posters, I will get back to you soon.  Posting from a cellphone so can't look at logs now.

will check it out. 

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

That`s what I see too after loading a savegame.

I'm going to try to treat your problems as similar since you are experiencing similar symptoms, and you have provided a log where the other user has not.

It looks like the issue is being caused by JNSQ's old implementation of ROCs.  You can fix this by finding and deleting the "MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours.dll" file from your JNSQ install.  This should have no side effects.  Report back if you still have load issues after that.

There are also some EVE errors.  I'm unsure why.  What version of EVE are you using?

Edited by R-T-B

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'm going to try to treat your problems as similar since you are experiencing similar symptoms, and you have provided a log where the other user has not.

It looks like the issue is being caused by JNSQ's old implementation of ROCs.  You can fix this by finding and deleting the "MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours.dll" file from your JNSQ install.  This should have no side effects.  Report back if you still have load issues after that.

There are also some EVE errors.  I'm unsure why.  What version of EVE are you using?

There was mistake with EVE. Copied my old GameData with newest EVE and then replaced it with another version. But this was not the cause. There must be another problem because: occurred to me that I played with KSP 1.11.2 and JNSQ  for weeks without a problem.
In the moment I check out some mods. It looks like there is something wrong with another mod.

EDIT: Found the issue. it was Parallax. But it was my mistake because copied the textures but not the Addin itself... :rolleyes:

Edited by Cheesecake

11 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

EDIT: Found the issue. it was Parallax. But it was my mistake because copied the textures but not the Addin itself... :rolleyes:

That catches a few people.  Thanks for updating us!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get RSS on KSP 1.10.1 working on Linux. Most things seem to be working well, except for a rendering issue with Saturn (and with the other gas giants if I also use RSSVE), but that may or may not be related to Kopernicus.

Anyway, another thing I noticed was orbit lines be visible through planets, and I found this post in the RSS forum from a month ago, where someone found a fix for it by setting

force3DOrbits = true

in "GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg". I can confirm that this does fix the problem for me, though it creates two new problems:

1. My log is now spammed with an error from Kopernicus, which a user also reported in the next post on the RSS forum. Here it is for reference:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.Force3DRendering () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

@Al2Me6 later replied with a finding that could be a fix for the Kopernicus source code. 

2. A giant decrease in performance; there is extreme lag and super low FPS in the menu and in the space center, though surprisingly a bit smoother in the tracking station (didn't try VAB/flying; things were just too slow). KSP was running buttery smooth before making that change. 

I don't know if the two issues are related at all, but what I do know is that it would be awesome to fix the orbits going through the planets on Linux, setting "force3DOrbits = true"
 fixes the problem, but performance becomes totally crippled. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

1 hour ago, undefined25 said:

I don't know if the two issues are related at all, but what I do know is that it would be awesome to fix the orbits going through the planets on Linux, setting "force3DOrbits = true" fixes the problem, but performance becomes totally crippled. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

Yes, 2) is a direct result of 1). It's logging that blob of text every frame, no wonder the framerate tanks.

FYI, there's now https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/pull/58.

17 hours ago, Al2Me6 said:

Oh, beautiful! Looks like you made the PR only a few hours before I posted. That's awesome. :lol:

And that's what I was thinking as well, that the text logging every frame could be what's destroying performance.

So if I wanted to try out your PR on Linux, you wouldn't happen to know how I could go about doing that, would you? Do I need to build the project in Unity? I'm pretty proficient with managing anything C++ and have also done a bit of work in Unreal Engine, but I have little knowledge of the C#/Unity realm. 

If not, I guess I could also be patient and wait for @R-T-B to merge/release the fix. ^_^

Thanks for the PR!  Since it's memorial day I finally have some time.  I will get it merged before the weekend is over with a few other fixes.

A quick release with my existing bugfixes plus that one, since it seems fairly important for users to get.  More will follow with any luck:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this now

New in this latest version (release-39):

1.) added numerous nullchecks to the "nearest/brightest" star detection routines.  This might help with some strange atmorim behaviors.

2.) Added a nullcheck to prevent logspam that was producing lag when using 3dorbit forcing (thanks Al2Me6).

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Hazardous Body object is presently broken, and has been for some time aparently. We are working on this for a near future release. Don't go driving in lava you shouldn't drive in, now...

10 minutes ago, modus said:

He lives!:0.0:

I'm alive.  Just overworked lol.

A quick note;  I won't be updating bleeding edge right now.  Until things get "back to normal" workload irl wise, I just don't have time to maintain a seperate beta branch.  So this is the only branch for right now.  I will try to keep it to the same quality standards though.

The next big bug to fix right now is hazbod not working.  I hope to fix that soon.

Edited by R-T-B

On 6/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, Juba said:

I don't know if its just me.

I updated 

• Kopernicus
  • KSPI
  • Kerbin Side Remastered GAP

And noticed that KSC building lights turn on at Day and turn off at Night !! 

5AT9BPe.png

sTV4kjB.png

I will spend some time checking into this now.

Can anyone else confirm/deny if this is an issue?  It may be just the above user, but before work tomorrow would be best to be certain.  Also a logfile if you experience this may help.

17 hours ago, emiliofloris said:

When I load both Module Flight Integrator and Kopernicus (and nothing else), the sky on Kerbin turns black. Here are the log files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05x4pz047kitk7e/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h7rx37v1kcre0u/Logs-Kopernicus.zip?dl=0

Game version is 1.11.2. Loading them separately works fine.

Will look into this as well.  Stand by for my findings.

EDIT: Log file does not show anything amiss.  Will try to test by hand here shortly.

Edited by R-T-B