[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

On 7/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, R-T-B said:
1.) A stock shadow bug that was being exposed by Kopernicus is now patched on level load, effectively hiding/fixing it.

Similar shadow bug. Running in 1.12.1, with Kopernicus release 56, on Windows 10 with an old computer. I've tracked it down to Kopernicus and certain new part textures, but not older part textures.

Example: A test vessel with both older and newer Nertea parts, with Kopernicus installed, shows funky shadows on the newer parts, but not the older ones, past a certain draw distance from the camera. The issue goes away with Kopernicus uninstalled. This took a long time to troubleshoot.

Pictures follow.

Test vessel without Kopernicus:

UU2yc7y.png

Test vessel with only Kopernicus added:

Z5dwhvd.png

Zoom up on vessel with Kopernicus to show camera distance cutoff for the issue:

tazz4b7.png

I hope this helps you narrow things down.

Is anyone else having an issue where when you zoom out from the craft enough then the ship gets some weird shadow form over it? its getting really annoying and im not sure if its something with the mod itself or if something is conflicting with other mods.

it happens on 1.12.1 if that helps

8 hours ago, Mumblis said:

Is anyone else having an issue where when you zoom out from the craft enough then the ship gets some weird shadow form over it? its getting really annoying and im not sure if its something with the mod itself or if something is conflicting with other mods.

it happens on 1.12.1 if that helps

Welcome to the forums! Just a few posts up, I documented the same issue. It doesn't appear to happen to all textures. I'm not aware of any fix yet.

10 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

I documented the same issue.

you are running scatterer too, yes? have you ever tried selecting scatterer settings from the space center scene (blue ball icon) and using scatterer's highest quality preset? Just wondering if that changes what you see with shadows at all. I've had similar issues, Planetside textures showed the problem far worse than any other textures I had. If you try this, don't forget to hit Apply. 

4 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

you are running scatterer too, yes? have you ever tried selecting scatterer settings from the space center scene (blue ball icon) and using scatterer's highest quality preset? Just wondering if that changes what you see with shadows at all. I've had similar issues, Planetside textures showed the problem far worse than any other textures I had. If you try this, don't forget to hit Apply. 

Good question. I had ruled out Scatterer as the source of the problem, and I tested just now to confirm that the issue persists without scatterer installed alongside Kopernicus. It does.

So then I tested your suggestion with scatterer on "very high" quality preset. It mostly removes the shadow issue. More specifically, it moves the camera distance at which the issue kicks in to be much further out, where it is far less noticeable. It's a viable workaround so I can use Kopernicus again! I'll still have to customize some scatterer settings, like reducing ocean fourier grid size. Thank you for the suggestion.

20 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

It mostly removes the shadow issue.

For me this is sort of an ongoing, uphill battle. The highest scatterer preset also completely changes how AA works, and on my system, it doesn't work well at all. So my actual steps when I start an instance of KSP is to go reselect the highest preset in scatterer, but then I turn on projector mode on its page. Then save/apply scatterer, then I go into KSP settings, and even though it says 8x for AA, I have to switch it to 4x and then 8x and then save the Settings dialog. After this sequence I have satisfied the voodoo gods of KSP graphics, and I have (for my system) the best compromise between AA and shadows. Just in case it's a thing for you too, here's how this manifested on my system:

Spoiler

This is scatterer's highest setting on top, and scatterer uninstalled on the bottom.

RgwU9Df.png

On 8/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

For me this is sort of an ongoing, uphill battle. The highest scatterer preset also completely changes how AA works, and on my system, it doesn't work well at all. So my actual steps when I start an instance of KSP is to go reselect the highest preset in scatterer, but then I turn on projector mode on its page. Then save/apply scatterer, then I go into KSP settings, and even though it says 8x for AA, I have to switch it to 4x and then 8x and then save the Settings dialog. After this sequence I have satisfied the voodoo gods of KSP graphics, and I have (for my system) the best compromise between AA and shadows. Just in case it's a thing for you too, here's how this manifested on my system:

Reveal hidden contents

This is scatterer's highest setting on top, and scatterer uninstalled on the bottom.

RgwU9Df.png

The plan in next release is to let us set the shadow settings manually in Kopernicus_Config.cfg.

It does seem sort of out of the bounds of Kopernicus's mission to mess with shadows I admit, but I think we need this for whatever bug is seemingly being introduced here, to allow players to get the shadow settings "just right"for their solar system without external tools.

Eta is probably this weekend, if the PNW heat wave allows me to code at all.

Another stretch goal might be to make an ingame GUI for Kopernicus_config.cfg, seeing as it has many options now it may be worth while to make it configurable in game.

PS:  For AA, MSAA really is one of the better standards short of supersampling which I don't think KSP supports internally (and it's too expensive for me to care to check).  It's too bad MSAA breaks with a lot of fancy effects, like scatterer, but it is what it is.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B R-T-B released this now

New in this latest version (release-57):

1.) New Kopernicus_Config.cfg boolean parameter UsePureStockScatters, hands off stock body scatters to stock system for performance reasons (stock system is much faster). Do not expect any scatter customizations when this is set to true! Will work for stock, maybe rescales but not much else. Defaults to false. Is incompataible with distance culler (not that it needs it).

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

1.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

2.) Before 1.12.0, the mission creator module in Making History is somehow, amazingly, is bugged in such a way as to make landing at bodies more distant than say, Stock Eeloo, impossible, due to sinking landing gear and lethal-to-kerbalkind terrain. The general work around for this is to a.) stay within the standard solar system distance, or b.) install another mod: either Parallax which does it's own colliders, or alternatively, "MakingLessHistory."

3.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

PS: Shadow release fixes will come later this week.  Enjoy this for now.

Edited by R-T-B

23 hours ago, R-T-B said:

New in this latest version (release-57):

1.) New Kopernicus_Config.cfg boolean parameter UsePureStockScatters, hands off stock body scatters to stock system for performance reasons (stock system is much faster). Do not expect any scatter customizations when this is set to true! Will work for stock, maybe rescales but not much else. Defaults to false. Is incompataible with distance culler (not that it needs it).

Known Bugs:

1.) Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Known Caveats:

1.) Mutlistar Solar panel support requires an additonal config file, attatched to release.

2.) Before 1.12.0, the mission creator module in Making History is somehow, amazingly, is bugged in such a way as to make landing at bodies more distant than say, Stock Eeloo, impossible, due to sinking landing gear and lethal-to-kerbalkind terrain. The general work around for this is to a.) stay within the standard solar system distance, or b.) install another mod: either Parallax which does it's own colliders, or alternatively, "MakingLessHistory."

3.) When using the ultra/atlas shader, ocean effect customization (color etc) is unreliable. Please use only high shader level (shader level 2) or lower if working with stock ocean effects. This does not effect scatterer or other ocean rendering mods.

PS: Shadow release fixes will come later this week.  Enjoy this for now.

The version with the shadow fix, will it be compatible with 1.11?

On 8/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, konsti156 said:

The version with the shadow fix, will it be compatible with 1.11?

The 1.12.x series are retro-compatible back to 1.9.0, with a special version for 1.8.x.

On that note:

New in this latest version (release-58):

1.) New, better, configless cross-platform fix for stock shadows. Should work everywhere and look good for most situations!

Known Bugs:

Example of fixed shadows in action here (no config needed):

rhBgYu0.jpg

Edited by R-T-B

Hotfix for 1.9.x shadow fix (wasn't working right with that version):

New in this latest version (release-59):

1.) Fix for bad shadows fix code on internal version 1.9.x code branch.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

On 8/13/2021 at 4:48 PM, R-T-B said:

Hotfix for 1.9.x shadow fix (wasn't working right with that version):

Does this include the fixed Kronometer?  Or do we still need to delete it by hand on 1.12 installs and use the patched version?

Oh, I think that may have been for JNSQ, but I do see that there is a Kopernicus.Parser.dll in the Kronometer directory, should that be used or the regular on in Kopernicus?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Does this include the fixed Kronometer?  Or do we still need to delete it by hand on 1.12 installs and use the patched version?

Oh, I think that may have been for JNSQ, but I do see that there is a Kopernicus.Parser.dll in the Kronometer directory, should that be used or the regular on in Kopernicus?

The Kopernicus.parser dlls are basically identical and have been for a bit.  Doesn't really matter where it resides.

Kronometer is not included in Kopernicus and thus you still need to manually fetch my patch until I can get a hold of Sigma and get it on CKAN.

Edited by R-T-B

So, I just posted an issue on the GitHub about Kopernicus locking up KSP's loading without seemingly throwing an error.  I'm fairly sure it's a change with the latest KSP update (1.12.2.3167), but I posted the screenshot and KSP Log in the issue.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, CAPFlyer said:

So, I just posted an issue on the GitHub about Kopernicus locking up KSP's loading without seemingly throwing an error.  I'm fairly sure it's a change with the latest KSP update (1.12.2.3167), but I posted the screenshot and KSP Log in the issue.

I can't replicate but I've heard a few people report this.  My best advise is to try with a fresh install, as it's possible something in the "upgrade" process messes up.

5 hours ago, squeaker0704 said:

I'm getting a issue and kopernicus isn't loading jnsq 

If you are using 1.12.x, you will need to replace the included Kronometer.  Other than that, JNSQ should work.  Can we get a modlist and a KSP.log file from you?

17 minutes ago, squeaker0704 said:

where can i find the new kronometer

Heads up:  Temporary1.12.0  Kronometer patch (and PR) can be found at the end of this issue:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kronometer/issues/17
  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161218-131plugin-kronometer-v131-1/&do=findComment&comment=3995144