KSP 2 Should be Made for Consoles ASAP

5 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Maybe a big company like Take 2 would do this? I do not know if they have a history of porting?

It's more about the studio than the publisher. Intercept is a fairly small studio as far as these things go. They definitely won't be able to run as many things in parallel as some AAA studios.

A PC can be made far more powerful than any console could ever dream of, has vastly more control input options (keyboard, mouse and a joystick versus a little console controller), can access more games which cost less in many cases, don’t have to pay for online multiplayer stuff, and can be justified as a useful thing outside of playing games on it (for schoolwork, coursework, or just work work) in a way that a console just can’t. Most of the KSP player base are on PC, as are all of the mods.

With all that in mind, just be glad KSP is available on consoles at all and that the sequel will also be released for consoles at all.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

A PC can be made far more powerful than any console could ever dream of, has vastly more control input options (keyboard, mouse and a joystick versus a little console controller), can access more games which cost less in many cases, don’t have to pay for online multiplayer stuff, and can be justified as a useful thing outside of playing games on it (for schoolwork, coursework, or just work work) in a way that a console just can’t. Most of the KSP player base are on PC, as are all of the mods.

With all that in mind, just be glad KSP is available on consoles at all and that the sequel will also be released for consoles at all.

I want to put this in understandable words, I think your logic is somewhat flawed. To say millions of people should just be happy if we get a subpar port with almost no updates (and usualy a higher price for the game) then you just do not understand. Thats fine, but  I still do bot agree with you and many others probably do not.

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

What? Grateful for crumbs from the table of the PC master race? Console sales provide a sizable financial input for the devs to create new content and any potential sequels. 

1 hour ago, ConArt70 said:

What? Grateful for crumbs from the table of the PC master race? Console sales provide a sizable financial input for the devs to create new content and any potential sequels. 

For big AAA titles yes, but niche ones like this? I'd love to see the numbers, because I don't think consoles would have even double digit sales percentage wise compared to PC.

That being said, if they release it on consoles there's no excuse for it not to perform well. They should do it right, or not at all.

If for no reason othet than to avoid the mess that is KSP 1 on console.

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

For big AAA titles yes, but niche ones like this? I'd love to see the numbers, because I don't think consoles would have even double digit sales percentage wise compared to PC.

That being said, if they release it on consoles there's no excuse for it not to perform well. They should do it right, or not at all.

3 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

You guys have the right ideas!

21 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Maybe a big company like Take 2 would do this? I do not know if they have a history of porting?

I doubt they have the manpower to do such a thing.  I mean we know that they are all working on seperate aspects of the game. And they are one studio. Activision had IW do MW, Raven did Warzone, and for BOCW, they had Trearch, Blizzard, Shanghai, Raven(again for WZ), Beenox and a few others. The thing about ACT/B is they are a massive studio with other slightly smaller ones below them, so they can have on studio work on one aspect, while others work on others. Take 2 is one studio. I just dont see it man.

16 hours ago, K^2 said:

It's more about the studio than the publisher. Intercept is a fairly small studio as far as these things go. They definitely won't be able to run as many things in parallel as some AAA studios.

Yeah. Like I said before, I don't see it happening.

Yeah, another good point. If we were talkng Battlefield, Halo, COD, or some other big AAA title. Then I could, but this game, naw, not a chance in the underworld.

Edited by Mikenike
Sppelling

15 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

The numbers don't appear to be available but looking at numerous sources and best guesses it looks to be around 25%. That's quite a chunk especially for a small company. And especially when you consider it hasn't been available for as long on console. Certainly not a player base you should be brushing under the carpet. 

Oh, no, it's absolutely worth it to release on consoles. That shouldn't even be a question. And it's worth doing simultaneous initial release across platforms. What might not make sense is releasing fixes and updates for all platforms at once. It's far more likely that PC will get more frequent, smaller updates, and once these are stable, a larger patch for consoles will be released with all the fixes and new features. And it has nothing to do with differences between platforms or how many people are playing on consoles. It's just that I can publish a dozen patches in a day to Steam, while pushing through a single patch through console cert can take weeks. Especially, if any problems do come up in cert. And there can be some messed up ways to fail cert. "Game freezes if controller is disconnected while A is held in the audio options menu." Have fun catching all of that in QA if you need to roll out a quick fix!

Large studios can sometimes throw more engineers and more QA at it and have patches synchronized across platforms. Smaller studios have to use PC as a test platform if they want to stay within budget. It's just how things are.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:27 AM, ConArt70 said:

The numbers don't appear to be available but looking at numerous sources and best guesses it looks to be around 25%. That's quite a chunk especially for a small company. And especially when you consider it hasn't been available for as long on console. Certainly not a player base you should be brushing under the carpet. 

That's much higher than i would've suspected, especially since KSP1's console port is so bad.

As long as Intercept can avoid a repeat of that, then I'd definitely agree that's worth pursuing.

That's much higher than i would've suspected, especially since KSP1's console port is so bad.

As long as Intercept can avoid a repeat of that, then I'd definitely agree that's worth pursuing.

Higher than I thought too, though of course these figures are best guesstimate. Why do you think it's a bad port though? I don't really have any issues on console. 

Psst, guys, i think you're missing something. A picture released by the devs at the announcement of KSP2.

Fel_KnaozasbtycbFJSygG_Nq0fla9ia_dLj-xa9

That first question and answer there states that "old" gen consoles will recieve it on launch, and if I know anything about what console generations do (which I don't), they can do compatibility to allow old games to play on new consoles-- like backwards compatible Xbox One games that were originally on Xbox 360 (though I don't know if Playstation consoles do this).

And even if not, I'm 100% sure that support for new gen consoles will either be on release or within a year of it. I don't think there's more to discuss, since it was confirmed for older consoles, and a HUGE chance of support for modern consoles?

16 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

Higher than I thought too, though of course these figures are best guesstimate. Why do you think it's a bad port though? I don't really have any issues on console. 

It has more bugs, lags behind the PC version for updates, and lacks even portions of the DLC. 

Just because one person doesn't have issues doesn't mean that the issues aren't there. That goes for any piece of software, regardless of what platform it's released on.

10 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

It has more bugs, lags behind the PC version for updates, and lacks even portions of the DLC. 

Just because one person doesn't have issues doesn't mean that the issues aren't there. That goes for any piece of software, regardless of what platform it's released on.

Ah, didn't realise there were no bugs on pc! I rarely come across bugs. Bugs usually only occur when you make ridiculously over ambitious vehicles, but the same can be said of pc. Show me a game without bugs and I'll show you a chess board. Pretty sure we've got the same dlc, just not the mods. I don't mind waiting longer for updates, certification takes longer on console. I'm not impatient. But aside from all that, console is still quite a sizable chunk of the player base and should not be brushed aside. 

58 minutes ago, ConArt70 said:

Ah, didn't realise there were no bugs on pc! I rarely come across bugs. Bugs usually only occur when you make ridiculously over ambitious vehicles, but the same can be said of pc. Show me a game without bugs and I'll show you a chess board. Pretty sure we've got the same dlc, just not the mods. I don't mind waiting longer for updates, certification takes longer on console. I'm not impatient. But aside from all that, console is still quite a sizable chunk of the player base and should not be brushed aside. 

When I said "more bugs" I mean compared to the PC version. All games have bugs, but there's no excuse for introducing more  than you started with in the beginning due to an botched port.

Also you have stripped down DLC, mind you it's not too much. Making history has the mission planner removed, and I think breaking ground is mostly intact. 

And the slowdown experienced when part count increases isn't a bug, that's just how looping through those arrays scales. 

You can easily find plenty of documentation of bugs that exist only in the console ports of KSP, but aren't in the PC version. Official bug reports that haven't been acted on in years.

My claim wasn't ever that the PC version didn't have bugs, but that they did such a bad job porting it that new ones were introduced.

And that if they want to get more customers on console with KSP2, and retain them. That the console port should at least have the same number of bugs as the PC version. Ideally less, because it doesn't have to support mods and knows exactly what hardware it can expect at all times. 

23 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

Psst, guys, i think you're missing something. A picture released by the devs at the announcement of KSP2.

Fel_KnaozasbtycbFJSygG_Nq0fla9ia_dLj-xa9

That first question and answer there states that "old" gen consoles will recieve it on launch, and if I know anything about what console generations do (which I don't), they can do compatibility to allow old games to play on new consoles-- like backwards compatible Xbox One games that were originally on Xbox 360 (though I don't know if Playstation consoles do this).

And even if not, I'm 100% sure that support for new gen consoles will either be on release or within a year of it. I don't think there's more to discuss, since it was confirmed for older consoles, and a HUGE chance of support for modern consoles?

I want to thank you for sharing this because it helps reasure me, but I do think that the disscussion should continue. I believe this is enough evidence to prove the game will be on consoles. With that being said, as many people have pointed out ksp Enhance Editition is anything but enhanced on console. This topic should continue to be discussed, but thanks for answering one of many questions relating to ksp 2 and consoles!

5 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

When I said "more bugs" I mean compared to the PC version. All games have bugs, but there's no excuse for introducing more  than you started with in the beginning due to an botched port.

Also you have stripped down DLC, mind you it's not too much. Making history has the mission planner removed, and I think breaking ground is mostly intact. 

And the slowdown experienced when part count increases isn't a bug, that's just how looping through those arrays scales. 

You can easily find plenty of documentation of bugs that exist only in the console ports of KSP, but aren't in the PC version. Official bug reports that haven't been acted on in years.

My claim wasn't ever that the PC version didn't have bugs, but that they did such a bad job porting it that new ones were introduced.

And that if they want to get more customers on console with KSP2, and retain them. That the console port should at least have the same number of bugs as the PC version. Ideally less, because it doesn't have to support mods and knows exactly what hardware it can expect at all times. 

Ksp Enhanced Edition is a bad port. I just hope ksp 2 is not ported so poorly.

I feel like consoles(current gen, not next gen) will hold back KSP2, because here is the thing, If you have limited hardware cap(consoles have worse specs than laptops which arent designed for gaming) and you need to make everything fit in the cap, then the game is gonna suck for those on PC(about 90% of current KSP players) just so it can run on a console, seriously, if u can afford to buy a PS5 or XB1X(which will probs get phased out after about 3 years) you can afford a gaming PC, which btw, if you know what you are doing, you can upgrade components(such as CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.) Most gaming PC's today, if taken good care of, will still run the games of the day at similar speeds to what they did when they were brand new, even 10+ years later, longer if you upgrade components as they get old and wear out, also, another thing, eventually, with a console, your game stops getting updates, new games aren't made for it anymore, and the game just dies on the console(MC legacy console is great example, they stopped updating it(after a final update of course)) the console is dead about a year after next gen console came out, With a PC, you can do other stuff with it, not just play games and watch stuff, I feel like KSP2 should be a PC game first and foremost, and maybe the next gen consoles will be fine for ksp2, but XB1 and PS4 should go the way of legacy MC, if KSP2 comes out before they die, They shoud implement a bunch of features, do about 10 updates, and then on the 10th update, thats it, make the updates good, add as many features as you can, but then, do a last update, maybe with console modding(basic planet editor and part editor, so new content can be continually added by the players), and then, just stop updating it, keep the servers around for MP, etc, and eventually, just let the old consoles die, shut down the servers for the old consoles, and just end it, they can still play on their own, just not with their friends(local play could still exist tho)

2 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I just want to make the point that most console players play console because they do not understand how to build a pc etc. Putting a game like ksp 2 or one on gamepass would be cool though, and expose it to millions of people.

I've got to pull you up on this:

1. Its a ridiculous assertion, can you provide any evidence for this?

2. Even if someone can't build a PC, they could buy a pre-built one, either new or secondhand. In fact, enthusiast gamer PCs which are home assembled are far in the minority of PCs.

26 minutes ago, paul_c said:

I've got to pull you up on this:

1. Its a ridiculous assertion, can you provide any evidence for this?

2. Even if someone can't build a PC, they could buy a pre-built one, either new or secondhand. In fact, enthusiast gamer PCs which are home assembled are far in the minority of PCs.

I hear you I just like the accesebility of consoles and I have never owned a pc. I know nothing about them, which is why I stay away from them and a lot of peopel are like that. 

Btw 1000 for a PC is a lot