Why can’t I use 4x symmetry for aerodynamics on a rocket?

Hello, I’m new to KSP (30 hours of game time), and I have a problem. I can’t seem to use 4x symmetry on a rocket when placing fins. Every time I grab a fin and hover the fin over the rocket, it turns the symmetry into 2x. I don’t know if I’m being stupid, or if it’s a bug. Does anyone know what this is or have the same problem?

Edited by pblevy08
Error

17 minutes ago, pblevy08 said:

Hello, I’m new to KSP (30 hours of game time), and I have a problem. I can’t seem to use 4x symmetry on a rocket when placing fins. Every time I grab a fin and hover the fin over the rocket, it turns the symmetry into 2x. I don’t know if I’m being stupid, or if it’s a bug. Does anyone know what this is or have the same problem?

If you have two SRB on the first stage KSP changes to 2x then you target them. Solution is to kind of come in from below and then place the fins. 
And yes this is a pain, most so as I fond it smart then using 4 SRB and don't need full throttle on all is to have one set with full and one with say 60% over all at 80%. 
Another option is to place the fins first as they are small and easy to miss. 
Last just add two pair of two fins :) Do this a lot with RCS who I always add last for reasons 

You’re probably getting 2x symmetry because the part you’re trying to attach the fins to is itself attached with 2x symmetry. Symmetry will automatically lock to the parent part’s symmetry if that parent part has a symmetry, so you can’t put fins on with 4x symmetry if you’re trying to attach it to, say, a booster which has 2x or 3x symmetry.

15 hours ago, pblevy08 said:

I can’t seem to use 4x symmetry on a rocket when placing fins. Every time I grab a fin and hover the fin over the rocket, it turns the symmetry into 2x.

Press R.

X, R, C are important for design.

If You triger even "mouseover" howering over another symetry its adapt to what is under the mouse.

@pblevy08 First, some background to make sure we're dealing with the same thing:

• There are two symmetry modes, RADIAL and MIRROR and you can toggle between the two modes with the 'R' key as @vv3k70r stated above.
  • MIRROR symmetry is limited to either placing one part or two parts like a mirror image of each other, thus if you are in this mode, you will NEVER be able place more than two parts [or sets of parts] at a time
  • RADIAL symmetry allows (beyond the standard single part placement) 2-, 3-, 4-, 6-, and 8-way placement, which you can cycle through by using the 'X' key (or reverse direction with SHIFT-X )

Okay, so that's the background; the quick answer to your problem is that WHEN you've attempted to place 4x fins and they "snap" back to 2x fins, WHILE your mouse is on the desired parent part, type 'X' twice. For most construction this will simply get your symmetry back up to what you desire. The reason is can default is because you probably already put some other parts on the rocket body that already have 2x symmetry, and as you move your mouse to place your fins you passed over a 2x symmetry part. If you carefully avoid mousing over any of the 2x symmetry parts like@magnemoe describes ("kind of come in from below and then place the fins") you avoid this but sometimes it's just easier to have your mouse close to where you want to place your part and type X or SHIFT-X to get to the correct symmetry.

One last note: If you have already placed a part with, say, 2x symmetry, if you attempt to place something on THAT part with different symmetry, it won't let you - the results will usually not be what you want anyway. So if you want to, say, place four fins on each of two SRB's on either side of a rocket body with symmetry, you will need to start by ONLY building ONE side of what will ultimately be doubled. In this case you put on one decoupler, then one SRB, then use 4x symmetry to attach fins to the SRB... and THEN (and only then!) go back and select the decoupler (the highest parent part) which 'pulls the part away from the rocket body, change symmetry to 2x and then 'reattach' the decoupler to the rocket body... >voila< you have 4x symmetry fins on a 2x symmetry SRB configuration.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

Edited by Wobbly Av8r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.