How to repair in orbit?

Hello there!

I have a contract to rendez-vous with a satellite in orbit around the Mun and repair a broken Gigantor XL panel. However, though I can see the broken part, I can do nothing on it. I cannot select or highlight it whatever I tried. I launched 2 times, as the first time I thought it was because I had only 3 repair kits onboard, and from what I could read the Gigantor needs 4. But the two times I was unable to do anything. Well... I was able to do things to be honest, but not what I expected...

How am I supposed to fulfill the contract, given also that I don't have Gigantor unlocked yet in the tech tree, so clearly this is a repair mission and not a replace mission... isn't it?

BR

Cilyan

Toying around to better understand, it seems that I also have an issue with detecting that an engineer is indeed onboard the spacecraft...

@theCAVE I cannot place a new Gigantor, as I don't have it unlocked yet. Besides, looking at the saved game, the part to repair is link with a unique ID from the contract inside the .sfs to the .craft file.

LvFRW1i.png

Edited by Cilyan

Continuation of the tweaking and hacking... to no avail.

I removed the "have an engineer on board" condition from the save file, but the part was still impossible to repair. I hacked the file a bit more to have the mission request to repair the opposite panel, in case there was something wrong with the parameters of the original one. This time, the "original panel" was clickable and hoverable, but the opposite panel, the one to repair was his turn unclickable and unselectable, exactly like the other one was. So it seems that there is an issue with the "RepairPart" parameter.

In the end, I hacked the save file once more to remove all parameters from the contract and replace them with a "Keep stability" parameter, copied from another contract. (Before that, I tried to copy other kind of parameters, such as the tourist contract I was trying to cover in the same mission, but this did not trigger the completion as expected.) Using this hack, when loading the save and after the 10 seconds of keeping a stable orbit, the contract was finally declared as done. So, not a real solution... It's a pity because these repair contracts are fun (RDZV + EVA).

BTW, this is the full list of my mods, but honestly I don't see which one could be interacting here. ReStock maybe? Or ClickThrough Blocker?

BreakingGround-DLC (BreakingGround-DLC (unmanaged))
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.15)
CollisionFX-ReUpdated (CollisionFXReUpdated 1.1.0)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v6.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.2.2)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.8.3)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.11.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid v1.0.5)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.2)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.5)
Reentry Particle Effect Renewed (ReentryParticleEffect 1.9.1.1)
ReStock (ReStock 1.1.2)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0723)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0723)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0723)
ScienceAlert ReAlerted (ScienceAlert 1.9.8.9)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
Spectra (Spectra v1.3.3)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.3.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

• 1 month later...

To my knowledge, You can only repair items in stock with an engineer.
If you are using one Try moving the camera is its behind the panel and moving away.
When the broken part is highlighted Right click on it and repair it.
However, My stock knowledge is limited.
Alternatively, it could be restock resetting the offset on parts.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem.  Just got the update and was excited to try these repair missions.  I've managed to get the engineer to weld a ladder to the satellite to hold onto.  But the option to repair the solar array doesn't come up when I right click on it.  Left clicking in EVA build mode removes it from the satellite.

Someone please help.

I tried posting this a few days ago, but still don't see it here. I've got a very similar problem. However, I _can_ select the part to repair...it says I need (4?) repair packs. The engineer has the 4 repair packs and a power screw driver, but there is no way to apply the fix packs...it just tells me I need 4 of them.

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 6:58 AM, Michel Bartolone said:

I tried posting this a few days ago, but still don't see it here. I've got a very similar problem. However, I _can_ select the part to repair...it says I need (4?) repair packs. The engineer has the 4 repair packs and a power screw driver, but there is no way to apply the fix packs...it just tells me I need 4 of them.

For any that missed it...you have to have the repair packs in the right type of inventory...

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, RedneckGaijin said:

And my problem is, I got a repair mission to repair a part that ISN'T EVEN ON THE CRAFT, and I can only carry one thing (the repair kit) in addition to the MMU.

Are you sure it’s not there? Some broken parts can be pretty small and hard to find/click, you might have to use some tactical camera clipping to peer inside the target craft. You can also carry up to 4 repair kits in a stack in one inventory slot.

• 1 year later...

the part requires and engineer with 4 repair kits.  I have an engineer with four loveING repair kits in his invnetory.  I click repair on the part and get loveING message that I need 4 repair kits to repair the part what what what!!!!  what am I doing wrong!!!!  Just once I would like to complete a loveING contract after spend hours and multiple retries getting there without having to use the GOD DAMN cheat menu.  Is is so loveing unreqarding to have to resort to the god damn cheat menu all the loveing time!

FIX THE loveING GAME SQUAD!!!!  Or give better instructions on how to do things.  I had to fly to the satellite 6 loveing times because I was always missing one thing.  Not enough repair kits, then no rcs so get close to the sat was a poodle.  I could do it but for perfections sake I reverted and added rcs.  Then I decided I'd like to use the kas telescoping vehicle grab arm and several other variations.  So I finally get to the loveing part withan engineer and 4 repair kits and then clicking repait I just get a message that I need 4 repair kits!!!!  Well son-of-a-poodle squad.  Why not just love me with a broom sideways?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.