Launch Escape system file mod

The stock launch escape system is really weird. Instead of flying directly up it fires to the side resulting in an uncontrollable spin and imparted high G. The fuel burn is also way too fast and far too short. If you try to abort on the pad, you cant gain enough altitude to safety deploy parachutes.

I've been trying to modify the part file so that it the thrust vector is straight up, there is no lateral force and increase the fuel load so it burns for longer. I can't figure out how to do this.

Id appreciate some input.

51 minutes ago, sibaar said:

The stock launch escape system is really weird. Instead of flying directly up it fires to the side resulting in an uncontrollable spin and imparted high G. The fuel burn is also way too fast and far too short. If you try to abort on the pad, you cant gain enough altitude to safety deploy parachutes.

I've never seen this.   The LES is plenty strong enough to get the 3 person capsule well clear of the rocket.   Don't try jettisoning your entire upper stage, but only your command pod and the parachutes.   It does impart some spin, and yeah I wouldn't want to be on it, but you're really not looking for a "controllable" launch abort, you're just looking to get as far away from the booster as quickly as you can, and then pop the chutes.     Tumble or spin doesn't matter at that point. 

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I've never seen this.   The LES is plenty strong enough to get the 3 person capsule well clear of the rocket.   Don't try jettisoning your entire upper stage, but only your command pod and the parachutes.   It does impart some spin, and yeah I wouldn't want to be on it, but you're really not looking for a "controllable" launch abort, you're just looking to get as far away from the booster as quickly as you can, and then pop the chutes.     Tumble or spin doesn't matter at that point. 

I get all that. I know how to use it correctly. But I dont like the way it works in stock. all I'd like is to remove the lateral thrust. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/I7aMmrc
https://imgur.com/gallery/I7aMmrc

The lateral shift of the thrust is defined in the model file "LaunchEscapeSystem.mu" so you would need to edit that model.
I do not edit models myself, so I can only see that "LaunchEscapeSystem.cfg" references a 'transform' (position-and-direction) called "thrustTransform" and I do not see any alternatives.

Other than editing the model, the only choice seems to be to shift the Launch Escape System laterally by 25 cm so its pull is roughly in line with the rocket.

Reducing the thrust is easy, and the LES burns longer with lower thrust.  With Module Manager you create a *.cfg file in the GameData directory, containing

@PART[LaunchEscapeSystem] {
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] {
		%maxThrust = 250  // was 750 kN in stock
}}

or you can change the number directly in the configuration file somewhere under GameData/Squad/Parts/. . . 

There is more talk more about changing the game over in the "Add-On Discussions" sub-forum.  Here in "Game-Play Questions" people tend to suggest how to get the job done in the game as it is (even though it is largely the same people in the two sub-forums).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.