STOCK Combine Gunship

Aircraft inspired by Half-Life 2. It's a synth, graceful living creature with mechanical parts. I worked a lot to make it flexible, smooth and well-flying at the same time.  Built for KSP 1.11 with Breaking Ground, handles moslty like coaxial helicopter. Press 1 to start or stop engines

Download: https://kerbalx.com/IkranMakto/STOCK-Combine-Gunship

qfFw8sh.gif 

Map8nHWl.png1cVlskYl.png

s0XsEGul.png1AAjGAfl.png

hVmKFz5l.pngrPBwXBXl.png

Edited by IkranMakto

Best helicopter ive ever seen on here (and fyi, the HL2 styled gunship is my all time favorite heli like craft in any universe since it looks really weird, and that real mounted rotor that defies physics but looks cool).  Ive made quite a few thinsg inspired by the HL2 gunship, but nothing even close to this quality (im not even gonna ask for the part count as it must be terrible)...

This was from a while ago (around when BG DLC came out), and i sorta gave up on the concept since i couldnt get anything that flew reasonably (and was to the chibi scale i build with as i dont really make planes the size of capital ships like most people on here due to part count issues with said capital ships), but heres some pics of what i had.

2SZSOrJ.png

IhIXUJf.png

WFqceZ3.png

Yours defenetely makes what i had back when look like crap :) ill have to revisit that project as it was really cool imo and you defenetely inspired me to revisit the concept...

Thank you guys for replying! Glad to see you like this craft

15 hours ago, panzer1b said:

(im not even gonna ask for the part count as it must be terrible)...

Actually less than 200 parts :o Download and test it! 

I think Combines use their anti-gravity tech so it lifts front of the Gunship and tail rotor lifts rear section and improves mobility. So everything is according to physics of HL world :)

Spoiler

Missclick spoiler and I dont know how to delete it using my phone

On 2/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, IkranMakto said:

Thank you guys for replying! Glad to see you like this craft

Actually less than 200 parts :o Download and test it! 

I think Combines use their anti-gravity tech so it lifts front of the Gunship and tail rotor lifts rear section and improves mobility. So everything is according to physics of HL world :)

Reveal hidden contents

Missclick spoiler and I dont know how to delete it using my phone

Gave it a try, works nicely actually...

Now what im trying to do is reverse engineer the thing to figure out how you pulled off the super smooth flexible exterior.  If its not some super secret thing whats the purpose of all the random small hinges clipped in around the 2 small engines and the 2 hydraulics?

Im making my own "gunship" based on the generic configuration of the combine one, but with a rear engine setup more akin to this thing as i want to make the thing look like a true hybrid between organic/mechanical tech and not just pure organic (with the exception of the engine bits glued on) like the HL2 version is).

main-qimg-3b135c7c1a8c4fee1ac4e0ecf532c9

So yeah, it wont be a replica (yours is already brilliant in that regard), but ill try and make my 1st "flexible" helicopter combining organic elements based on how you made yours with some more mechanical parts which i think the HL2 gunship lacks.

Either way, you did show me that there is quite a bit the robot controllers can do that ive never really tried b4.  Like binding the controllers to WSAD (never took advantage of this b4), and such.  Hope you dont mind me stealing these ideas for future builds :)...

On 2/24/2021 at 4:58 AM, panzer1b said:

If its not some super secret thing whats the purpose of all the random small hinges clipped in around the 2 small engines and the 2 hydraulics?

Hinges are quite bendy in every direction so one of them supports "engines" and let them bend relative to body. Next two connect tal section with hydraulic cylinders which main purpose is to support side panels creating "smooth" bendy skin

P0XeEa6h.png

On 2/24/2021 at 4:58 AM, panzer1b said:

Like binding the controllers to WSAD (never took advantage of this b4), and such.  Hope you dont mind me stealing these ideas for future builds :)...

It's a deep interesting ocean you're exploring to. I'm sure there's much to uncover for me too

well, i have it working sofar at least the skeleton...

pJEwAoC.png

Making mine in chibe scale since i just cant justify a gunship being larger then a corvette class warship :)...I tend to make everything very small if possible since i play mostly stock and part counts become an issue with cruiser sized ships, not to mention i totally want to make a SSTO variant (even if it means relying on the notrious infinite fuel exploit since im not entirely sure its possible to make something like this SSTO legit)...

heres my basic model of the thing, slightly smaller scale then yours and no flippers.  I still need to completely redo the rear and the 2 top thrusters which i have some better ideas for, and im so moving the weaponry from the bottom placeholder turret to what will most likely be a top mounted option, but its there, it looks amazing, and it flies a tad better then your variant (ive gotten it up to 47m/s without the missile launcher turret on the bottom, and if i wanna sacrifice speed it will lift 6 tons of payload albeit then it flies like a dead pig stuffed with bricks).

rmrJeJF.png

0syWYZ0.png

rdSQoSu.png

Thanks alot for showing me some of the potential of the robotics parts, they really make the game neat (and i just cant believe it took your craft for me to actually figure out some of the more advanced features of the DLC)...

well, made my final version of it...

tec79ME.png

sorta mid version, moved guns to top, but it just dodnt work well (firing was unreliable and it was notorious for hitting the launched ordinance itself knocking it off course or at worst blowing itself up).

wbHVtFT.png

so yeah, moved the stock weapons back below it (it doesnt really look bad, id just have preferred it up top), added flippers, and animated everything so it actually flexes as youd expect teh HL2 one to do so.

stfgDWK.png

dat glowing nose cannon looks insanely cool imo, as does the missile launcher on top (well it doesnt actually shoot anything, but the HK-G1 is supposed to be armed in universe with  light point defense cannon (nose), 1 AT gun (the stock missile launcher is where that is supposed to be), and 1 missile launcher (the glowy vent like thing on the top)...

3 hours ago, IkranMakto said:

Looks good! I like the way you've done side fins

Who will build a Strider first? :0.0:

Ive tried, mechs are incredibly hard to make especially if you want them to 1, move at anything more then snails pace, and 2, carry stock weapons.  These 2 things become increasingly difficult the taller the robit gets, and in the case of a strider that will be a huge issue...  I might give it a try, since i do like the design of the strider, but in all realism, i think hunter would be easier to make as its smaller, lower to the ground, and would not require a boatload of reaction wheels to go anywhere.

hkIi6bP.png

Things like this are fairly easy to make (after fiddling with the leg anims for a few hours that is), triple leggers shouldnt be much harder to do (might even be better balanced and need less reaction wheels), but tall things are a very big problem cause the slightest side force makes then wanna topple over.  Still, ill see what can be done as id love to see a strider like thing in KSP (actually if i did make a tripod in KSP id prolly make it more akin to this as i like it's fully flexible organic legs).

th?id=OIP.30R0UUsPdS3Pcmf7pm4yBgHaDF%26p

I actually remember someone made something akin to this in KSP ages ago, but it wasnt mechanized or anything of the sort.  If i ever pulled it off, id make a HL2 styled strider with legs pulled from war of the worlds since they were fully flexible (part count nightmare though if i ever did it)...

4 hours ago, panzer1b said:

and would not require a boatload of reaction wheels to go anywhere

I came up with better idea - hidden SAS-controlled propellers on top of the Strider. They could create a lot of torque and theoreticaly move body with legs together. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.