Suggestions for Space Station

After 2 Space Stations I got some experience and want to build a better one around Kerbin.
It's big one with 3 multi-point connectors. I have USI life support so I use a habitat ring & supplies along with command module,  advanced lab, hydroponics, observation module and of course essentials like batteries, solar panels, antennas, fuel tanks, rcs.
What else should I include in my station to be ready for future needs?
LH2 tanks? Or whatever anyone can suggest.

Edited by alphaprior

I'd suggest browsing the Spacecraft Exchange thread on this site, or looking for stations on KerbalX, or looking up RL or fictional space stations, and taking inspiration from that. 

Stations and bases in particular are basically fantasy -- get creative and build whatever catches your imagination. You can't really rank stations as "better" or "worse" like you can rockets or planes with easily measurable performance and cost characteristics.

23 hours ago, alphaprior said:

Or whatever anyone can suggest.

This. :confused:

The thing is that Stations on KSP are more a matter of "wants" than of "needs". That is, we can always cut the middle man place and  bring whatever you want directly from the surface or you can put whatever craft you want in orbit and call it 'a station' .

Spoiler

e.g. my refueling "station":

qJjs638.jpg

6 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

This. :confused:

The thing is that Stations on KSP are more a matter of "wants" than of "needs". That is, we can always cut the middle man place and  bring whatever you want directly from the surface or you can put whatever craft you want in orbit and call it 'a station' .

Reveal hidden contents

e.g. my refueling "station":

qJjs638.jpg

Yeap that's what it is a middle station. I park my spaceships there re-use them later. But what I might need in future like a drop-off point for ore or more exotic stuff? I use all USI mods so I wonder which tanks to use. Or what about converters on a space station?

4 minutes ago, paul_c said:

If you're in career mode then a Science Lab and 2x scientists is a good idea, will earn loads (of science).

I have already an Advanced Science Lab it's on top of the central connector. Although labs are so slow!

space station don't have much use mechanically. but then, very few things have; if your objective is to make money, you can wait until you get the"test parts on the launchpad" contracts. if you want science, you can just land on ever mun and minmus biome and that will unlock the tech tree. so, once established we're doing things just for cool factor, here are some things you may want to put in space stations...

- antennas. may as well use it as a relay

- science lab: it's not a space station if it doesn't have a lab. whether or not it has any actual use.

- big fuel tanks: use the station as a resupply spot

- multiple redundant science instruments. just to make clear that your station is there for science.

- various shuttles for different tasks: back when i was still bothering with a career, i gave all my stations a refueling vehicle (basically a 10 ton flying tank) to service ships in distress, and a manned capsule to go pick stranded kerbonauts.

- a crew escape pod. ok, there are no emergencies unless you are installing specific mods, but still, it's nice to have an escape pod.

there are many mods providing life support, making stations more exciting than just putting together a lab, an antenna and some solar panels and throwing them in orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.