Am I the only person?

kacperrutka26

Have you gotten to any planets yet?  

1. 1. Have you gotten to any planets yet?

-I have reached all the planets, but landed just on Duna...

-However i have ISA Mapping satellites in polar orbits around all planets and moons.. Gilly is giving me problems..

-I like having height maps 1st.. Before i go to the surface..

Edited by Atimed

I say take your time, and enjoy the journey :)

Hopefully will be going to the Mün tonight with a stock vehicle (which I'll be designing afetr reading the forums) but having fun with just getting stuff in to orbit and watching the world revolve below.

I've not landed on anything, at least not in any way that doesn't involve an explosion. My first attempt at interplanetary travel was aimed at Duna, but I warped too fast and overshot and figured, what the hell I'll go to Jool! My intercept was horribly disfigured, and given my IPV stage was designed for long slow burns it took me forever to get into a proper orbit. Sadly, it was a polar orbit at like 2 million km or so. After struggling for half an hour I managed to flatten my orbit out just in time to intercept Laythe, only when I time-warped to get closer I realized I was travelling in the wrong direction and there was no way I'd ever have enough thrust, not to mention fuel, to orbit the moon.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: Screw it, slap some burners on and go for broke, the worst that could happen is you'll have a great story to share. :)

I've gotten to Eve (x2), Duna and Laythe. I haven't gotten back from any of them yet, but I haven't spent much time on my ship designs yet either.

I'm testing one now that should be able to get me most places and back.

Oh, those are all stock landings too, no mods.

I've been to Duna and it's companion. Designing the rocket is utterly the easiest part by far. with the nuclear engine practically anything can escape kerbins SOI. the real trick is getting the planets to line up right, burning out of kerbin's SOI at exactly the right time, and having an exorbitant amount of luck. here is a great tutorial for getting to the other planets, as well as a calculator that tells you when to burn: http://ksp.olex.biz/

I haven't been able to successfully return Kerbinauts home from the Mun (in either 0.16 or 0.17). So it's not just you.

Heck, just now I had to go all the way back to the drawing board. I'm excited that I just launched Bill into orbit, circularized it (200m difference between periapsis and apoapsis, my best so far!), and have enough fuel to bring him back down. :)

Hello everyone!

I just realized people got to every planet/moon already. But I havent even got to minmus yet in 0.17. How do you people do it? Am I the only one?

Math, lot's of math. Use the Kerbal Engineer Redux mod to accurately plot the delta-V for your stages and the Interplanetary Guide Calculator to know when to launch. Now all you need is the delta-v requirement of your planned mission so you can build your rocket accordingly. Oh wait, I've got that covered for you with This Handy Chart that Jellycubes from Reddit made.

Made it to Duna twice, first with a conventional one kerb lander then with a three kerb rover for exploration. Landed in a giant basin, mainly because it looked reasonably flat. I reckon I could get either spacecraft to Eve or Jool, but the innermost planet seems iffy. Need a lot of delta v to get that close in. Funnily enough, both of my Dunar landers would've been captured by Ike if I hadn't intervened, but I was most interested in the planet itself. The moon can come later. Next mission will probably end up being to Jool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.