Developer Insights #8 - What Does A Game Producer Do?

StarSlay3r

Whenever I think of game producers, I think of a skit I saw, making fun of Valve in the early 2000s. The funny fellows in the video talked about how the producer is responsible for keeping a clear vision for what the game is supposed to be like, and keeping everyone focused on that. So logically, Gabe Newell inspired the physics team by throwing their poor ragdolling bodies around the office, and screaming "IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THIS! IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THIS!", laughing maniacally.

I guess we just have to take it on Mr. Robinson's good graces that he isn't inspiring the team too hard.

Edited by starcaptain

Loved the latest read. Thanks guys. Although I am not active on the forums, I do get the updates on other platforms. Jira is such a great tool when used properly so it's great to read you guys are utilizing it and also great to read you have a NASA team working on projects..

Loved watching back on the old Apollo 11 launch to the moon and various Space Shuttle missions myself. Recently I watched the below Apollo 11 'movie' that was recently released (2019) in full HD. I loved the trailer that I purchased the bluray and it's just amazing.

I've been working on in my spare time, some 3D models from scratch of various key NASA missions. I'd love to see the development team do a Saturn V, Space Shuttle / ISS, even a Hubble ? Such key moments in our history over the last 50 odd years that I think it would be great to see these in KSP 2. Will make sense when doing a career path to replicate our very own history in a game.

Anyway, loved the updates. Enjoy the preview 'movie', I highly recommend it to those who haven't seen it.

Edited by Radar

32 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I hope we can see the roadmap soon:happy:

Uuuhhhh better no. People get hyped, overly excited, and then cry over the fact that some of the "promised" features didn't make it to the final game. Reason doesn't, and shouldn't matter to us. there will be a mod for that anyway

Hints, yes, sure, but people tend to read plans as promises. Especially since we're talking about gamedev. Plans change.

Edited by The Aziz

15 hours ago, starcaptain said:

The funny fellows in the video talked about how the producer is responsible for keeping a clear vision for what the game is supposed to be like, and keeping everyone focused on that.

I would rearrange that slightly. They are responsible for keeping the vision clear. That's not to say that they don't influence the vision, but it's not their primary function. Production makes sure the goals are stated clearly and tasks are keeping the project on track towards these goals.

But yeah, very underappreciated team members, especially, by outsiders. You don't really see the work they do. You just see consequences when they aren't there to do that work, and these consequences are never good. And you start appreciating this more and more as your responsibilities grow. As a junior developer, you might not be aware that producers exist. At mid level, you still don't know what they do and why they keep bugging you about Jiras, but you still don't get a whole lot of interaction with them. By the time you end up leading a team, though, they are basically your patron saints. Without good production, large projects can still happen, but it's probably better for all involved if they didn't.

8 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Spread sheets!?!?!?!?

You would think somebody would have come up with better tools for organizing projects, but truth is, there are weeks when I spend more time in Excel than Visual Studio.