Career Mode Speedrun: Keverest% IGT

Pds314

Start a new career and put a flag on the summit of Keverest by the soonest possible in game "date" (though it really won't be a date so much as a time measured in minutes and seconds).

Rules:

1. The run ends when you show ingame date (NOT MISSION TIME!) with a flag on Keverest at an altitude at or over 6760 meters.

2. The peak of Keverest is at 46°20'17" E 61°35'53" N. Note this means that it is night time there upon world creation.

3. All runs should be glitchless. No Kraken drives. No decoupler teleportation device. No magic lander leg cannon. No debug menu cheat. Don't go looking for trouble and you shouldn't find it.

4. No quicksave or revert. Any run with quicksave or revert will be considered a spliced run/TAS

5. Everything must be on normal difficulty or above. Only career mode runs are acceptable.

6. DLC is allowed. No gameplay-altering mods.

7. Facility upgrades, multiple launches, strategies, contracts etc are all allowed and encouraged.

World Records:

1. Pds314, 41:58,  no photo/video proof.

2. Ralanboyle, 59:50, 14th of Jan 2021, 20:22 GMT.

Spliced leaderboard:

1. Ralanboyle, 23:23

Edited by Pds314

12 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

Perfect. My plans for the weekend just cancelled so I plan to give this a shot. Do one yourself so I have some competition! (please)

I will but it might not be today. I'm currently trying to figure out room on my machine to fit KSP. It went from being a terabyte to much less due to a drive failure so I lost KSP and don't have 8 gigs free yet. I will do it once I offload some things.

Edited by Pds314

On 2/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, ralanboyle said:

Alright, I did it in exactly an hour. Should have been 50 minutes but I got lost in the dark so Jeb had to take a hike. 

Ooh. Nice. One thing I will say is that going to orbit at the start is pretty costly from a time standpoint. I've finally got KSP installed again so I will be trying this tonight.

Edit: no I haven't. It's still downloading??! Apartment is downloading at 200 B/s... Will be ready sometime in mid 2022. I have no idea why. My internet works fine mostly.

Edit: ok my internet is not fine.

Plan B: see if I have a backup somewhere or download gigabytes and gigabytes on a metered phone connection...

Aha. I have an ancient backup. Also internet again. Somehow Steam had the bright idea to dump a modded, malformed BADT gamedata containing most of an entire KSP folder IN my gamedata alongside actual mods. Obviously that version didn't work.

Edited by Pds314

Ok. I've tried 4 times and abandonned all of the runs so far. I'll try more tomorrow. My most recent run had a total party kill with not enough money to hire new kerbals from wierd landing gear wobble and aero strangeness 25 minutes into the run. 20 of which were rolling around getting science which in retrospect might be too long. Maybe the thing to do is launch everything vertically to avoid landing gear issues.

Edited by Pds314

On 2/17/2021 at 9:44 AM, ralanboyle said:

@Pds314 You are seeing the same issues I saw. I had close attempts with lower tech and fewer setup flights but they were unstable and unreliable. 

It's so frustrating to kill runs when the plane is over the mountains by 30 minutes but doesn't have the fuel and glide performance. I had to actually kill a run because I skimped on the Junos and when the thing ran out of fuel it went from potentual sub-35 to more like over an hour and a half run because Val would need to walk 3 vertical kilometers.

It's too late today to actually do another run. I do sort of have my opening somewhat more refined by now.

The question I'm not really too sure of is whether barometer strats are good.

Edited by Pds314

1 hour ago, Pds314 said:

It's so frustrating to kill runs when the plane is over the mountains by 30 minutes but doesn't have the fuel and glide performance. I had to actually kill a run because I skimped on the Junos and when the thing ran out of fuel it went from potentual sub-35 to more like over an hour and a half run because Val would need to walk 3 vertical kilometers.

Might be fun to have two leaderboards. One for no revert/save and one with. If you added that I’d  give this another go and try to get down around 30 minutes. 

7 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Might be fun to have two leaderboards. One for no revert/save and one with. If you added that I’d  give this another go and try to get down around 30 minutes. 

Added a spliced run leaderboard.

Unspliced run, 41:58.

Unfortunately OBS crashed 4 seconds into recording so I don't have the actual flag plant screened. I was intenting to do it on video not screens but that didn't work out.

N7I7yWf.png

rVhgrbb.png

I plan to do a redo of the run and get sub-30 hopefully. For one thing I had a failed launch and ended up killing Val in an ill-advised attempt to put it down safely several minutes into the launch, when I should have just terminated the launch, for another I had to walk pointlessly far after landing, and for another there is a small timesave I can do using the roller as I got about 28 more science than necessary. I might be able to go on a more depressed trajectory as well, which saves even more time.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, ralanboyle said:

Okay, I got it done in 23:23 with reverts/saves. I got lazy so I didn’t edit the video  just sped it up to 10x . 

Wow that's a really fast time considering that the pure ballistic "cannonball"  time to go 1200 km is what? Like 10 minutes and you need to gather science and apparently go to space first, and spend minutes accelerating and decelerating, And you even did Launchpad upgrade strats?! Maybe I will try a run with reverts...

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.