FTE-1 Drain Valve and Stratus-V Monopropellant Tanks

The valve can't be attached on both Stratus-V Roundified/Cylindrified Monopropellant Tanks.
These tanks can be drained only if a valve is attached on another non-radially mounted RCS Fuel Tank or on a Pod.
So how do I drain the Stratus-V tanks without necessarily having another RCS tank or a Pod?

Edited by antipro

10 hours ago, antipro said:

So how do I drain the Stratus-V tanks without necessarily having another RCS tank or a Pod?

The old way it seems: expend it with regular RCS thrusters.

And yes, it is way less practical than a drain valve. :(

• 1 year later...

@antipro I have done this kind of attachment (with docks) via craft file editing and simply placing an appropriate 'link =' directive.

I came across your note while trying to determine whether drain valves work at all with MP. 

Let me know if you still want to proceed with this.  I'll make a subassembly for you.

Edited by Hotel26

A simple ModuleManager patch will allow you to attach the drain valve (and any other radial mount parts, like batteries, antennas, solar panels) to the radial MP tanks.

@PART[rcsTankRadialLong,radialRCSTank]
{
    @attachRules = 0,1,0,1,1
}

@Hotel26 I have a feeling any weirdness you're having is because you're doing it with save file editing, which is dodgy at best.  I just tested the above patch and it works fine.  And yes, the valve does work with ore (not that it has to - you could dump that already)

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

any weirdness

No, my problem was I simply didn't punch the button that says "drain MP or not" .  I don't recall you needed this for LF/OX, so why for MP?  Anyway, I got past this soon after writing the note.

The advantage of a drain valve for ore is that you can bleed some of it, for ballast control.  Rather than Jettison [Entire] Contents.

Thanks for weighing in with your solution!

So, let me ask a practical question.  I've avoided Module Manager as if it's Black Magic.  Whereas, if it were documented somewhere...  :)  Do you have a pointer?  I'd also like to see definitive doc on config files, as those are definitely useful.

Just now, Hotel26 said:

No, my problem was I simply didn't punch the button that says "drain MP or not" .  I don't recall you needed this for LF/OX, so why for MP?  Anyway, I got past this soon after writing the note.

Ah yes, that can get you.  And yes, you do need it for LF/OX.  It's pretty vital for those switches to be there, otherwise you would be forced to empty an entire tank even if you just want to dump, say, the oxidizer.

1 minute ago, Hotel26 said:

So, let me ask a practical question.  I've avoided Module Manager as if it's Black Magic.  Whereas, if it were documented somewhere...  :)  Do you have a pointer?  I'd also like to see definitive doc on config files, as those are definitely useful.

You could try the wiki.  https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/ (which is linked to in the MM thread's OP ;))

Although most of what I've learned about it came from looking at existing patches and then referencing what I saw with the documentation.  I'm basically incapable of learning how to do things just from reading the directions, I have to see examples.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.