[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

I just released version 0.4.0 with the following changes:

• Configured new engines:
    • Thud
    • Puff
    • Twitch
    • Ant
    • Spider
    • Spark
    • Cub
    • Dawn
  • Configured all RCS modules.
  • Improved RCS sounds.
  • Added Waterfall effects to the stock lights.

Here is some eye candy of the new content:

Spoiler

Prh8hQ7.gif

5 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

What's with the fire RCS? But man you are good at this plume stuff.

Most IRL RCS thrusters use a fuel and an oxidiser which combust (usually simply by reacting with each other) to produce thrust, much like a regular rocket engine. I'd assume KSP's RCS thrusters are based on those, despite using monopropellant. I don't know if RCS thruster plumes actually look like that, but it kinda makes sense.

The cold-gas thrusters on the Falcon 9 are the exception rather than the rule.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Most IRL RCS thrusters use a fuel and an oxidiser which combust (usually simply by reacting with each other) to produce thrust, much like a regular rocket engine. I'd assume KSP's RCS thrusters are based on those, despite using monopropellant. I don't know if RCS thruster plumes actually look like that, but it kinda makes sense.

The cold-gas thrusters on the Falcon 9 are the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah they do, the shuttle's rcs plumes are orangey clouds.

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

What's with the fire RCS? But man you are good at this plume stuff.

RCS uses hypergolic fuels. these very much produce a flame. just not as visible as kerolox plumes.
here is an example of the dragon's rcs jets. visible only because they are on the night-side of earth.
as you can see, they are very much colored orange/yellow/white.

there's another time (6:00) you can also see the RCS firing during daytime, but they heavily overexpose the video so that it's visible. Otherwise you almost cant see the plume.

10 hours ago, fourfa said:

edit - I thought it was working before... but in my 0.4.0 the Bobcat has no plume whatsoever.  (No other plume mods)

Ah I seemed to have forgotten to decapitalize 1 letter in the bobcat's config file :huh:
I've just released version 0.4.1 with a fix.
Thanks for letting me know!

On 3/31/2021 at 7:08 PM, stammu said:

is there any reason why i am getting no plume at all, i just opened ckan and let it upgrade waterfall core/stock configs and i get this not sure what may be causing this so safer to ask here ^^

hmm. you should give me more info than that. what engines, what other mods, what versions of waterfall and SWE do you have etc.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, Knight of St John said:

hmm. you should give me more info than that. what engines, what other mods, what versions of waterfall and SWE do you have etc.

Sorry for not coming back to the thread all good with a clean install and reinstalling of the mods ^^ idk what was messed up :)

I just released version 0.5.0 with the following new engines configured:

• Juno
• Wheesley
• Goliath
• Panther
• Whiplash

This means that this mod now has plumes for every engine in the game!
At least, if you don't count solids. I'm not planning on making plumes for those.

1 hour ago, Knight of St John said:

• Juno
• Wheesley
• Goliath

I was quite confused until I remembered we have those heat distortion effects now. I guess you could’ve done what HotRockets did, but ehhh...

Did you end up working with HB Stratos on the afterburning engines, and if so, did you end up incorporating that cool TEB ignition flash they tried with the Whiplash, just on ignition instead of 1/3 throttle this time? Or does that partnership not actually exist?

I really love the plumes this mod makes. Great work! I'm using waterfall restock, but any engine that restock dosen't change (Cheetah, Wolfhound, jet engines) still has their stock plumes. Is there any way to use the configs from waterfall stock together with restock?

18 hours ago, RyanRising said:

I was quite confused until I remembered we have those heat distortion effects now. I guess you could’ve done what HotRockets did, but ehhh...

Did you end up working with HB Stratos on the afterburning engines, and if so, did you end up incorporating that cool TEB ignition flash they tried with the Whiplash, just on ignition instead of 1/3 throttle this time? Or does that partnership not actually exist?

aside from the heat distortion, there's also a faint amount of smoke coming out of the jet engines. It's very subtle.

And I did not wait for HB Stratos. I did indeed have a look at his plumes, but he hasn't been continuing the work on that, so I started my own plumes.

There's no TEB flash for the whiplash.

12 minutes ago, SpecR said:

Is there any way to use the configs from waterfall stock together with restock?

The right way to do this is to just add the configs (templates and engines) to  WaterfallReStock, and have them be included in the mod.

Though, I'm not sure that's going to happen, since my plumes are not true to real life sometimes. hydrolox for the wolfhound etc.

For my own personal use, I just deleted every config for Restock-affected engines (this ended up being everything but Bobcat, Cheetah, Dart, Goliath, Juno, Panther, Thud, Wheesley, and Whiplash), removed the NEEDS:[!Restock] from each one, and installed it alongside WaterfallRestock.  Works perfectly, aside from the fact that Realplume hasn't been updated to account for all of the new plumes yet.

As for taking configs from this mod and adding them to WaterfallRestock...  it's not entirely clear to me that this is possible, at least without violating the license on SWE.  SWE is CC-BY-NC-SA, and WaterfallRestock is MIT, so by my understanding anyone but the creator contributing configs from this mod would have to violate the ShareAlike clause of the license.

8 hours ago, leopardenthusiast said:

Works perfectly, aside from the fact that Realplume hasn't been updated to account for all of the new plumes yet.

That looks like  a good way of doing it for your own personal use i guess. Also, since the configs have :FINAL, they will override RealPlume, untill RealPlume is updated, and it will no longer be necessary.

8 hours ago, leopardenthusiast said:

it's not entirely clear to me that this is possible, at least without violating the license on SWE.

That's not a hurdle for me. If it turns out to be a problem, I'll fix. the "problem" really is that these plumes don't necessarily fit in with Nertea's vision.

I'm working on a rescaling mod (Less Real Than Realism) for RSS.  It rescales nearly any stock and stockalike part to real size and Waterfall is a fantastic addition.  It's almost trivial to scale existing Waterfall visual effects to full size and StockWaterfallEffects looks great when scaled up. 

However I've run into a problem with some of these engine cfgs.  Some of them use :FINAL, and because of the tyranny of alphabetic ordering I can't rescale them since the StockWaterfallEffects FINAL directive will always apply after anything I can add.

Can you think of a good workaround for this problem?    

32 minutes ago, Pehvbot said:

Can you think of a good workaround for this problem?    

Indeed I can. Not using :FINAL anymore :-)
I only had those there so that my mod overwrites RealPlume 100% of the time, even when RealPlume was not updated yet.
However, RealPlume will fully deconflict with this mod very soon, so that I can remove all of the :FINAL ones.
So, go ahead and pretend that's just not there. give it a few days, and my next release will drop without the FINALs.

If you don't have RealPlume installed, you can already remove them yourself,
by the way.

Edited by Knight of St John

42 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

Indeed I can. Not using :FINAL anymore :-)
I only had those there so that my mod overwrites RealPlume 100% of the time, even when RealPlume was not updated yet.
However, RealPlume will fully deconflict with this mod very soon, so that I can remove all of the :FINAL ones.
So, go ahead and pretend that's just not there. give it a few days, and my next release will drop without the FINALs.

If you don't have RealPlume installed, you can already remove them yourself,
by the way.

Awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

can i use this together with realplume if i delete conflicting configs

Waterfall will overwrite any realplume configs that affects the same engine waterfall does.

3 hours ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

can i use this together with realplume if i delete conflicting configs

Yes

20 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Waterfall will overwrite any realplume configs that affects the same engine waterfall does.

Waterfall does not do this automatically. It is up to the people writing the configs to manage the conflicts. 

In the case of RealPlume configs stored within RealPlume-stock I have added deconflicting MM syntax to that side for known cases. Similarly I have done so for the realplume configs in Nerteas mods and BDB as well. But these conflicts need to be actively dealt with as new configs are written for Waterfall.